Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op nerve damage/pain anyone?

I am on a Quest to find relief. My doctor said all the pain I am experiencing is nerve damage and that it could last 6 weeks. I can't deal with this for 6 weeks. I think I will go crazy. It is only day 5 and I am getting a bit depressed. There is so much I want to do but I can't.

Has anyone experienced it? Extreme burning pain that feels like you are being stabbed with a red hot knife? I feel it when I am in any position except laying on my right side. I feel it when I sit, stand, use my arms, or anything except laying on my right side...and there is a sitting position I can get into.

What did you do to help it? Did anything work? How long did this last?

I was given pain Patches that don't seem to have helped much but there was not much else that could be done. Heating pads did not work either.

I had the same burning until about day 6 and then it just went away. Hope yours leaves as quickly as mine did.

I remember the burning feeling. I had to support my fat belly with my hands if I moved, but one day (maybe day 6 or 7) it was just gone. I thought I heard it was damaged nerve endings and once they repaired themselves the pain stopped.

I wonder if some kind of girdle or binder would help, keep everything snug so the incisions don't pull?

I tried that today Globetrotter and it was a bad idea. It seems that my pain is worse when I walk. To the point that the spot hurts when it is even lightly brushed. Well the girdle just pushed in on it and cause constant blinding pain. I ditched it. However, this morning I am able to lay on left and right side. Previously only the right side didn't hurt. Left is still sore but do-able. It is also less painful to get up from sitting. Walking is still just as bad but maybe I am seeing relief around the corner?

I tried that today Globetrotter and it was a bad idea. It seems that my pain is worse when I walk. To the point that the spot hurts when it is even lightly brushed. Well the girdle just pushed in on it and cause constant blinding pain. I ditched it. However, this morning I am able to lay on left and right side. Previously only the right side didn't hurt. Left is still sore but do-able. It is also less painful to get up from sitting. Walking is still just as bad but maybe I am seeing relief around the corner?

I'd not thought about it, but I had a couple of walks where I figured I'd overdone it as I had tiny sharp stabbing pains across my lower belly - the pain went, but it wasn't blinding pain, just a weird sensation a bit like pins and needles but inside. When I asked my surgeon about it he said it was nerves endings inside and scar tissue formation.

I'd forgotten this as I was more thinking about the larger sharper pains I had when I twisted strangely.

Hope this helps with the light at the end of your tunnel! :smile1:

ooh I think this happened to me today it is bad! I was having no pain, and then today bam the nerve thing in the belly! Has anyone found anything to relieve it?

My daughter suffered with this in rny surgery, she used the loratab and it got better in the 6 week period. I twas all that seemed to help her. good luck!

I hope this is just a temporary thing for you, but if it is not, I have found that Lyrica and Elavil helped my nerve pain considerably. The Elavil has to be taken right before bed though.

I had to have a CAT scan yesterday because they want to check and make sure nothing else is going on. I am sure it will show nothing, especially because it cost me over $550 to do. It has gotten a tiny bit better but I am still non functional and am getting a little depressed. There has to be something out there that can give me relief from this and allow me to get my life back. I had to refer a client to another colleague today and may have lost out of several thousands of dollars in a home sale because of this... Not to mention that I hate referring my clients to someone else. I feel like I fail them by not helping them all the way through.

Also, it is starting to take a toll on my marriage. This makes me really worried. It is very hard on the kids too. They have been taking care of everything because hubby has been working nights and lots of overtime and they have been stuck in the house doing nothing for 3 weeks. They are starting to crack a little.

oh Zephra, (((hugs))) to you and your family! I know it seems like it is taking them forever, but be glad you have a dr. who is being thorough and looking at things with the proper perspective.

I've llved with nerve pain for about 7 years now. I totally understand how miserable it can be...have they said if it is from the incision itself (meaning not caused by something from the CT) that this will likely be permanent pain? I know nerve damage can be a side effect of the surgery but I sure am sorry you're having to deal with this.

((Zephra))

I was told that it was the scar tissue growing around the nerves and that it could last for 6 weeks. I can't imagine living with this pain for 7 years and my heart goes out to you.

In good news, according to the scales, I am no longer morbidly obese. Now I am just plain ole obese! I just wish I could stand up straight so I could see how I look and take my measurements.

Zephra - I really hope this sorts itself out soon for you - it must be awful for you and your family to live thru this.... so I have everything crossed for you for good results.

Kathy