Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acanthosis Nigricans (dark skin in folds)

Anyone have any experience with how fast that awful dark, velvety weird skin under the arms and around the neck (and all sorts of other places!) will go away? It will go away, I hope!

I've had problems with this since puberty at least, and I'm hoping that it'll eventually reverse as my PCOS and insulin resistance goes away.

Just sort of wondering if it gradually fades and if it happens sooner or later, in general. I know everyone is different, but some hope would be nice :thumbup:

I haven't had that problem, but I saw on some show or other how even one lady's little hanging moles went away! So I'd think it would be the same.

I have the dark skin the skin tags and moles, I would LOVE to get rid of them. For the longest time I would see other ppls underarms and think I wasn't shaving well enough and thats why mine were so dark. I shaved myself raw on more than one occasion b4 finding out the real cause... If anyone has any experience of this please respond, I would like to know too!

I'm hoping for someone more experienced to chime in. I'm 3 1/2 months out and have lost about 50 lbs, but still have the acanthosis. It might be slightly better, but nothing astounding.

Yeah, I never knew why until I had to see a dermatologist about my acne. I would love to know if this will go away.

I know it's long, but I posted this reply in regards to someone who had been told that their dark skin was basically"dirt".

"Let me be VERY clear on something. The darkening on the skin we are

experiencing IS NOT dirt. That is either an ignorant comment from an uneducated person, or someone who has been EXTREMELY poorly informed. It has to do with Insulin Resistance and the insulin leaking out of our bodies. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the TRUE cause of this very embarrassing, hygiene UNrelated issue. Please read below or take time to do your own research on Acanthosis nigricans. I myself have found very positive information regarding this unsightly issue, with regards to weight loss and overall fading of the problem areas.

Acanthosis nigricans is a brown to black, poorly defined, velvety hyperpigmentation of the skin. It is usually found in body such as the posterior and lateral folds of the neck, the axilla, groin, umbilicus, forehead, and other areas. (In other words..your neck, armpits, groin (inner thighs), near the belly button, and forehead)

It typically occurs in individuals younger than age 40, may be genetically inherited, and is associated with obesity or endocrinopathies, such as hypothyroidism, polycystic ovary disease, insulin-resistance, diabetes, or Cushing's disease.

The most common cause of acanthosis nigricans is insulin resistance, which leads to increased circulating insulin levels. Insulin spillover into the skin results in its abnormal increase in growth (hyperplasia of the skin)."

Also, if it makes your feel any better I have seen significant improvements in my PCOS symptoms. Though my periods still aren't normal, and I have a residual issue with the facial hair, my issues have come leaps and bounds from where it started. I have provided my stat info for you.

Starting weight: 287

Current weight: 225

Height: 5'5"

Surgery date: Dec. 5, 2012

*Staying away from carbs is absolutely vital for us. That doesn't change after surgery. I hit a stall every time I slip up with carbs.

I was told by a dermatologist when I was 12 that it would go away at a normal weight (granted this man never once made the connection that it was PCOS so I was left undiagnosed for 10 years) I am still pre op, so that all I have, but I will say whenever I have lost weight it has lightened and when I gain weight it appears in new places..... I hope it leaves for good post op

I've had issues with acanthosis nigricans since I was in elementary school. I had surgery March 9th and the discoloration has lightened significantly!

I hope the trend continues. I feel much more comfortable wearing my hair in a ponytail now and wearing sleeveless tops. There is still darkness, it isn't "fixed," but it's definitely a significant improvement.

I've had a lot of shame surrounding the dark skin for my entire life. When I was young my mother used to try to bleach my neck. Things were crazy. Anyway, I can't say the surgery will make it go away, but it's definitely helping me so far.

This new kim... can you please give an update on how much it helped?

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

This new kim... can you please give an update on how much it helped?

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

Sure!

My skin is significantly lighter. It appears mostly normal. My neck, besides the scarring, looks like I never had any issues. Also, my scarring seems less obvious. I don't know why. Maybe it's less inflamed?

One of my underarms is still a bit dark, but not anything like it was previously. The coloring isn't weird to me. I'd wear sleeveless shirts if I wasn't so nervous about the loose skin now, hah. Well, I still wear them sometimes.

Darkness on my upper legs has completely disappeared on one side, and is almost gone on the other.

Overall, huge difference. I've lost almost 200 lbs, and I'm hoping as I lose this last chunk of weight that the rest of the discoloration will disappear.

Also, the discoloration that's left is much smaller. It used to go pretty far down my side, but now it's just a small bit under my arm. Same with my leg.

Edited by This New Kim