Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved May 14th, 2010

I had the sleeve done May 14th, 2010 in Mexico. My surgeon was Dr. Almanza. My surgery went well. Here are my details...

My husband and I flew to San Diego with another couple. We were picked up at the hospital and taken directly to the lab for blood work. From there we were taken to Jerusalem Hospital. I got ready for surgery and was on the OR table and I don't remember being put out! (Must be pretty good stuff! LOL) I woke up in the recovery room. (I also had my gall bladder removed at the same time. Heard many stories about people having gall bladder problems after losing weight so quickly and wished they would have had the gall bladder removed right away).

I never felt the chills that some people experience from coming out of the anesthesia. Threw up a few times then felt much better. Was lucky in the gas area also. I didn't have too much. I walked back and forth down the halls a bit. If I hip-upped I would feel slight pain. Did have diarreha but that cleared up in a couple of days.

There were 4 leak tests. The fist two are done in the operating room and I don't remember those. (Air test and purple dye) The third one is where you drink that nasty purple juice to see if any seeps into your drain. Leaves your teeth and tongue as purple as Barney! The forth is where they take you to radiology and you drink a liquid and watch it go down your stomach and see if it leaks out. There you get your xray also showing the stages of this test. Some say this is the worst tasting of all the tests, but I'm not sure...that purple stuff was pretty nasty...all 8 oz of it.

My care was good. Every person that took care of me sanitized their hands then put on gloves before changing my bandages. I think the part that hurt the most was when they changed bandages...good tape...ouch! LOL

I stayed an extra day at the hospital because of having two surgeries, (Sleeve and gall baldder removal) then went to the recovery house. That was nice and my care was good also.

The only thing I wish different is that they would have someone who stays at the hospital and recovery house that speaks complete english. Many of the care takers don't speak english, and all my spanish is good for is counting to 10! My husband had questions but they couldn't understand us to answer our questions. There are a couple of caretakers that know some english, but they are not always on.

All in all, my surgery went well. I was forunate not to have a leak and feel wonderful. :thumbup1:

Congratulations on having your surgery done! I was like you and didn't have any significant problems. Now at one month out I've lost 26 lbs and am on solid foods again.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!

It's great to hear that you had such a good experience. It will definitely help future patients to know that they might want to brush up on some basic Spanish. This would be a good post to copy into the Almanza thread in the Doctor/Hospital section of the forum, if you haven't already done so.

Congratulations on joining the loser's bench! I'm still :001_tongue:

Yea!! Glad your surgery went well and you are doing good : )

I remember very little after hitting the table either! They do knock you out quickly! That is a bummer about the vomiting! I had dry heaves once and that was it, thank goodness!

And yes, the purple liquid was horrid!! I have had to drink potassium before because I was so low, and I think this was worse!! I didn't mind the stuff at the radiology clinic; altho I just took a big gulp and didn't finish all of it : )

I think it is good you had your gall bladder out as well. After having 2 gall bladder attacks, I wouldn't wish those on anyone!

The language thing is a challenge. I personally didn't have any issues, however I travel alot internationally and am often in a country where I don't speak the language. I usually carry a pocket guide with English/whatever language. Before going to TJ, I also printed a couple of sheets of common and medical English/Spanish words and phrases. I saw Angie's mom post the other day that they also hand those out to patients at Aceve's because their nurses also aren't bilingual.

Did you see Dr. Brenda while you were there? I was surprised how fluent she was and I figured she was an American or had at least studied there.

I do agree they should always try to have someone to translate. I don't even think it needs to be a medically trained person, just someone to ease the barrier would be a good idea.

Hope your recovery continues smoothly and the numbers on the scale start dropping!

Congrats!!

Sounds like you couldn't have asked for much more. It's very comforting to hear of others good experiences as my date get closer.

I was wondering though, did they take out your gallbladder because you wanted them too, or had you had problems with it?

I had it removed because I wanted it done. I heard and also read about people having problems with their gall bladders after losing weight quickly. Many said they wished they had it done at the same time. Also since you would be already out, it would cost less than if you needed to have it out later.

Best wishes for your surgery and keep me informed how you are doing.

Hey congrats on your sleeve and great experience!

May I ask even with the language barrier do you think you would do it again there? I mean you felt well cared for? Did they feed your husband? I ask because mine wants to know (he's helpless ya know haha) I am praying for you great outcome and feel that God will keep me safe as he did you as well! Thanks in advance for any more advice! Im scheduled June 15

Hey congrats on your sleeve and great experience!

May I ask even with the language barrier do you think you would do it again there? I mean you felt well cared for? Did they feed your husband? I ask because mine wants to know (he's helpless ya know haha) I am praying for you great outcome and feel that God will keep me safe as he did you as well! Thanks in advance for any more advice! Im scheduled June 15

I felt I was well cared for. My husband was taken out for one meal but then we had to ask/remind them to order meals. Sometimes my husband only ate once. If you ask them they will help you order and food will be delivered.

I had a good experience with my surgery, but if someone asks if I would refer, my comment is, it has to be your decision. Even though leaks are possible anywhere, I would hate to refer someone and if they were that 1%, I would feel awful. It was the right decision for me. :thumbup:

Thanks and congrats on loss already!!!! Good job!