Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My wife had surgery on 4/8/10. After 2 days we returned home and things were going normal. On the 4th day home she woke up in the middle of the night with a 103 temp. We called the Dr. and went to the ER. They did some tests and discovered she had a leak (4/14/10).

She had a revision surgery that morning using fatty tissue to patch the leak area (the leak is right at the top of her stomach).

After 4 days in the ICU, they did some more tests and discovered the leak was not repaired but it was now "contained". She has a drain at the site of the leak, and a JP Tube. The next step they took was to place a stent over the leak.

The stent was a covered stent and slipped down, they adjusted it twice, still slipping both times. Next they ordered a 15cm stent and that slipped too, just below the leak site. So they went back in and placed another 15cm stent inside the existing stent, this too fell.

Finally, they placed a partially uncovered stent inside (3 stents now) and this one has seem to have stayed in place. We got released from the hospital on 5/7/10.

Yesterday we noticed some cloudy drainage coming from the drain where the leak is. We went for an x-ray and the stent is still in place, but some fluids may be getting through.

The Dr. recommended we go back to only the JP feedings and no more clear liquid diet.

From anyone who had a leak and repair, how long will this last until I can feel safe? And the Dr. seems to think there is no danger and we are on a good path to recovery, but I am seriously worried sick.

I just wanted to say I am so sorry this has happened and my prayers for the healing of her leak. I am sure you will hear from atleast Tiffy who also had a leak, not sure who else on here but you could pm her if she doesn't see this. Please update when you can.

I have no knowledge of this but just wanted to let you know that I'm so sorry your wife is going through this and I am sorry you are having to be so scared and worried!

I really hope that will have done the trick and this works.

Wishing her a speedy recovery!

Please PM tiffykins about this. She can give you some excellent advice about how to best advocate for your wife because she has been there. The treatment she is getting sounds much different than what I have heard them do for others with leaks. Good luck. I am so sorry to hear that your wife is having to go through this.

Thank you all for the thoughts and advice so far. It has been a crazy time, I've been out on Leave of Absence from work since the surgery, and we have 3 kiddos....it's been quite a handful and not knowing what progress is being made is killing me. I just want to know for sure that she is healing. I will PM Tiffany & I will keep everyone updated, seems like a great group of people here, I'm glad I found this forum.

I'm so sorry to hear that y'all are having to endure this exhausting process. My leak was repaired completely different than most patients. I was a revision from band to sleeve, and the damage from the band wasn't seen during pre-op testing, so we really had no idea that the tissue was so damaged. My leak was close to the top of my remaining stomach tissue, and esophagus junction. I was my surgeon's very first and only leak so he consulted with another surgeon, and they decided to use heavy suturing and no stent was placed. I did come home after 10 or 11 days in the hospital with JP drains and a pic line in my arm that was a catheter that was placed in a main artery that dumped off into my heart and it fed me TPN which was a liquid that contained 1800 calories, nutrients, Vitamins, antibiotics etc every day for over 2 weeks. I was prohibited from consuming anything by mouth. No food, no Water, no ice chips, I wasn't even allowed to gargle mouthwash in fear of some of slipping down my esophagus. I went with nothing to eat or drink by mouth for 22 days.

I am not familiar with the stent repair method as I didn't have one, but I do know there have been a couple of cases on obesityhelp and one other here that had a stent and drains for a much longer period than I did.

Once I was pulled off the TPN, I went straight to clears for 17 days then onto the rest of the post-op diet.

I was hospitalized again about 6 weeks post-op due to abscesses in my abdominal and pelvic cavity. They suspect that microscopic bacteria hid out in there, and even though I was on heavy antibiotics, my body just couldn't fight these off. I had pigtails drains placed, and was hospitalized for 7 days. The pigtail drains stayed in a couple of weeks until the abscesses were drained, and the heavy antibiotics they had me on cleared them up. They took samples of the drain Fluid every few days to check the bacteria level/count to ensure the antibiotics were working.

Once this ordeal was over, and I had the drains removed, I was cleared for regular activity, and haven't had any issues since the beginning of the 3 month post-op mark.

I can't comment on how long this may go on, but I know that until the stents come out, and she can pass a leak test with 100% certainty I would not get comfortable until she cleared the leak test. If she's able to handle the jp feedings without a lot of nausea, and her temperature is staying normal, I would feel confident in what your doctor is telling you. I know it's hard to believe them after being through so much. It took me months to mentally feel "okay", and at the mere thought of having another issue, I would get panicky. Some called me paranoid, or that I was overreacting, but after what we endure with a leak, I feel we have every right to be paranoid.

If you do not feel like she is progressing well enough, fight for more testing, or a 2nd opinion. Right now, she can't really fight for herself, and I'm grateful you are with her.

I will keep your wife, and your family in my prayers and thoughts.

Well, here's an update. Over the past 4 days she had a drain removed, she is down to the JP tube & 1 drain. Last night was our best night so far, she got some good sleep, we did some good feeding.

Today we noticed some green drainage coming from the place where her drain was removed, and she had a slight fever all day. We called our Dr. and now we are BACK at the hospital, they will do a CT scan later and I think give her some antibiotics, this has been a complete nightmare, I am so mentally broke down.

Well, here's an update. Over the past 4 days she had a drain removed, she is down to the JP tube & 1 drain. Last night was our best night so far, she got some good sleep, we did some good feeding.

Today we noticed some green drainage coming from the place where her drain was removed, and she had a slight fever all day. We called our Dr. and now we are BACK at the hospital, they will do a CT scan later and I think give her some antibiotics, this has been a complete nightmare, I am so mentally broke down.

I am sorry to hear she is having such a difficult time! It is quite odd how and when complications happen; doesn't seem to always be a definite reason.

I hope the news is good tonite. Your stress must be very exhausting. Wishing you both the best and finally, a recovery!

I am so sorry for your wife. It's good that you are on top of it, to make sure this gets fixed. I will keep her in my prayers. It may be awhile, but she will get better, and this must be so much stress on you. Hang in there. If you need to vent, this is the place for it. Best wishes

Thank you, actually, I do need to vent a bit as I am on the verge of tears here in the hospital. She means everything to me, I wish there was something I can do to ease the pain and uncertianty, and the worst part is........which kills me the most, it seems like nobody knows for sure that what they are doing will work, it's more of a "hope" that it will work. And it was super hard to find anyone I can relate to until here.....but even here, the chance of a leak is so slim to none. Everyone here has been great and the positive thoughts do work for me to an extent. I just want this to be over, I'm 1/2 way through my FMLA time and I have no idea what will happen if she is not better by the time I have to go back to work. I cannot function normally without being by her side, and will have nobody to watch the kids, we have no family out here.

What an amazing husband you are! She is very lucky to have you!

Do you have the results from the ct scan yet? It seems very unfair that someone would become ill trying to improve their life and their health. I am sure the doctors will work hard for her.

A couple of songs came to mind. I don't know your faith but hopefully these are general enough to bring some comfort ....

Michael W Smith, Awesome God

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=3b1iwLIMmRQ&feature=fvw

Michael W Smith, Breathe

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=Oad8ov10AjY&feature=related

Hope to hear good news from you later tonite or in the morning!

Edited by pnw218

I am very sorry for your wife and the pain and worry this is causing for you both. My hopes and prayers for that leak to heal and that this process will be bearable for your wife and yourself. Now is the time to muster up faith and ask the good Lord to provide for your needs. Jesus was called the great physician, may His healing touch your wife down to every cell in her body. And through Him may peace and security be restored to your family.

Hey Champ, How's she doing today? Did they get things under control?

Update: We had the CT scan last night and the Dr. came in this morning to tell us everything looks good. She does have an infection from the drain site that was removed, but it is not spreading and they have her on antibiotics. The CT scan also showed the stents are still in place and they did not show any leakage. She will have to come back to the hospital next week for a couple days to have the stent removed, test for the leak, and replace the stents if the leak is still there, I'm praying it will NOT be there.