Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Dr. Almanza ?

Views
Started by mrios1029, Feb 23, 2010 4:11 PM
3 replies to this topic
3 replies to this topic

mrios1029

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted February 23, 2010 - 4:11 PM

Hi everybody, I've been doing some research and I have chosen Dr. Almanza as my VSG Surgeon. I just read a post about bougie size? What's the bougie? Is that the stomach size? Can somebody explain it to me and if they know what is Dr. Almanza's? . Any other feedback on Dr Almanza? What about Jerusalem vs. Emmanuel Medical? Are they the same?Sorry I sound so stupid:blush:

ishary

• My Blogs
Posted February 23, 2010 - 6:56 PM

Hi everybody, I've been doing some research and I have chosen Dr. Almanza as my VSG Surgeon. I just read a post about bougie size? What's the bougie? Is that the stomach size? Can somebody explain it to me and if they know what is Dr. Almanza's? . Any other feedback on Dr Almanza? What about Jerusalem vs. Emmanuel Medical? Are they the same?Sorry I sound so stupid:blush:

I had surgery at Jerusalem Medical Ctr with Dr. Almanza on Jan 28th.
I can not say enough about how wonderful Dr. Almanza is.
I didnt have any bad experiences with the Clinic either. That being said though..... I think if I take my daughter back for the surgery though I will go with Dr. Aceeves or Dr. Lopez Corvalla for her as they do the surgery in larger hospitals with an ICU just in case something were to go wrong.

I had a lap band over in Mexico with Dr. Corvalla at the Hospital Angeles in 2007 and let me just say that that hospital is state of the art. Jerusalem is like a surgical ctr. and even though I had my surgery there without complications I wouldnt take my daughter to a hospital without an ICU. I think I saved about $3300 by having the surgery with Dr. Almanza - I think the money would be worth the peace of mind knowing that there is an icu on site.

I saw that posting about Bougie size on this site and I sent a message to my hospital coordinator and still have not heard anything back. So..... I kind of think that maybe they do not know what that is.

Good Luck with whatever you do decide.
:blushing:

Time-for-me!

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
Posted February 23, 2010 - 8:11 PM

I had my surgery with Dr Almanza on Jan 11, 2010.

The bougie refers to the tool that they use in order to make the size of your stomach pouch. It is a tool that goes down into your stomach and they use that as the guide to staple along. According to Dr Betancourt, the bougie they use is the smallest around. He said in the States they are only allowed to use a certain size and it only causes people to lose 40-50 lbs because their stomachs are still so large... in his hospital the size of the bougie is much smaller therefore it generates greater weightloss.

Dr Betancourt said to me when I was down there, "Can you imagine going through all of this and then only losing 40-50 lbs?? How frustrating would THAT be!" He told me he had a friend who does weightloss surgery in the States and he spoke with him recently before I was there in January, and the other Dr asked him "How was it being able to use such a small bougie?" Dr Betancourt said it's amazing and they get such great results! The other Dr told him that he wished he could use the same size bougie there, it would help so many more people.
The one that Dr Almanza uses allows you to reach your weightloss goals by making the smallest tummy they can! :001_tt1:

I have to say that I am a very satisfied customer and had no problems and continue to have zero problems with my surgery.. I'm down 37 lbs in 6 weeks! I personally think that's pretty awesome!:blushing:

Good luck making your decision!

bkind

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
Posted February 23, 2010 - 8:26 PM

I also loved Dr. Almanza, and can only say wonderful things about him! My surgery was 2/18...my coordinator was Melissa and loved her as well!! He uses a 32 boughie standard procedure..I had no problems and felt very well taken care of from the time I arrived until I left! I wouldn't hesitate in the least to refer anyone to him...just an excellent surgeon in every way! Loved Dr. Benecourt as well!! The clinic is a basic looking outpatient clinic..very clean, very busy! He was doing 7 surgeries the day I was there and 5 the next day. For me, it felt safe and comfortable and I feel he has it down to a science! I was self pay and I can tell you, it was VERY worth the price I paid without compromising my Drs skills, which was very important to me! Bottom line...I'm very picky, and it passed my expectations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates