Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does your vitamin regime look like?

Sleevers,

I am two months post-op and feel I have the Protein counting down, but am not certain I am on track with my supplements. Here are the Vitamins I currently take, how does this compare to what you take?

Daily A.M.

• 1 Prevacid (Why do we take acid-reducers? I do not have any reflux issues - do you still need to take these)

With Breakfast which is usually cottage cheese & yogurt,

• 1 250 mg calcium citrate supplement (Can't wait to try the lemony Cal-cet when I run out of my current supply.)

10:00 ish

• 2 Viactive Multivitamins - but I found in the small print this weekend that they have the "wrong" kind of calcuim, so I need a new chewy, chocolate Multivitamin - Any suggestions?

4:00ish

• Every 3rd day, either a B12 or an Iron supplement.

That's it. I just don't want to be missing something my body is needing. Thanks for sharing your regime.

Just curious....because I am scheduled for surgery in June....do you take pills or have you found liquid supplements? Currently I am taking magnesium, fish oil, vit D, C and a multi as well as Calcium. I just want to know, will I continue with these AND add B12? Can I take these or do I need to start looking for them in liquid form? I know I can lay off the fish oil for a while. My cholesterol is LOW....but what about the others?? Any idea?? My seminar appointment is in April...I guess they can answer all of my questions, but I'm excited and anxious to get started!! :001_tongue:

I take:

1-Nexium daily

3-Flintstones complete gummies w/ extra Vitamin C

2-tablespoons liquid calcium citrate 1000mg/vitamin D 1000 IU

I am also curious about what I also need/am I taking the right stuff? I keep reading about Iron, what Iron should I get? Also, do I need to take my calcium/vitamin D at any certain time? What is the difference between regular Calcium and calcium citrate? Is Flinstones complete gummies with extra Vitamin C good enough? Do I need any certain Vitamin B? I keep asking my nurse practioner but she doesn't specify, all she tells me is that I'm doing fine. I don't want to be fine, I want to be healthy!! Also, I was thinking about starting Biotin, to maybe help out with hair loss.

Wow, that is alot of stuff to be taking:scared0:!! And do I have to take all this stuff forever?...I'm gonna have to get one of those huge daily pill boxes!!!:001_tongue:

NtvTxn,

You should give up the fish oil prior to surgery. I used to take it too, but I believe it causes bleeding. The only liquid I take is I will put 4 drops of Vitamin D on my cottage cheese about every other day. I have low Vit D levels - I did before surgery. All my others are chewable. I have to find some of those Gummy multis...

Angel,

My nutritionist says I am ok too, but I am with you, I want to be the healthiest. I also want to be sure and keep these in place to hopefully keep my hair from falling out. I think that is more of a Protein issue. I also am going to get some of the Shampoo Tiffykins recommended - can't remember the brand? You will probably know if you need Iron. I got super tired and dizzy when I would stand up. Within one day of adding iron, I felt so much better. But, I find the iron to make me have to have a relationship with Milk of Magnesia. I was soooo excited when I found it in cherry flavor - made me feel about 100!

Mornings:

Nexium, chewable Vitamin from GNC, Fiberone chewable

Lunch:

Chewable Vitamin

Evenings:

Prilosec before bed

I do have GNC B-12 5000 ZipMelt on order and I think I need to add Iron somewhere as well. Any suggestions on what Iron vitamin to take?

Morning: one sublingual B12, one chewable multi and one calcium citrate chewable from Bariatric Advantage.

Mid-Day: Another multi and Calcium.< /span>

Evening: Another calcium and B12.

I also take the Pearls Probiotics, but they don't do a dang thing for me (bm-wise) so when this box is gone I won't get them again.

I take:

1-Nexium daily

3-Flintstones complete gummies w/ extra Vitamin C

2-tablespoons liquid calcium citrate 1000mg/vitamin D 1000 IU

I am also curious about what I also need/am I taking the right stuff? I keep reading about Iron, what Iron should I get? Also, do I need to take my calcium/vitamin D at any certain time? What is the difference between regular Calcium and calcium citrate? Is Flinstones complete gummies with extra Vitamin C good enough? Do I need any certain Vitamin B? I keep asking my nurse practioner but she doesn't specify, all she tells me is that I'm doing fine. I don't want to be fine, I want to be healthy!! Also, I was thinking about starting Biotin, to maybe help out with hair loss.

Wow, that is alot of stuff to be taking:scared0:!! And do I have to take all this stuff forever?...I'm gonna have to get one of those huge daily pill boxes!!!:001_tongue:

I feel like my grandmother!! LOL I DO have one of those Monday - Sunday pill holders!! It is a lot to be taking, but my family doctor had me start the calcium, multi, when I turned 40....I started the fish oil when my husband did because of his slightly high cholesterol and it dropped it from 180 to 165!! I've just stayed on it because! When we moved to WI our doctor told us we NEED to take vit D, and I agree, there is NOT nearly enough sunshine up here! We are native Texans, we are use to some sun!! LOL The nurse at Dr. Davidson's office said after surgery, they will want my B12 levels to be "off the chart" - why is that???!!! Does anyone know??!!!

The Gummy Flintsone vitimins....great idea! Someone said something about the difference in calcium...I'm not sure, but there IS a difference with the calcium citrate (sp?) vs plain calcium.

NtvTxn,

You should give up the fish oil prior to surgery. I used to take it too, but I believe it causes bleeding. The only liquid I take is I will put 4 drops of Vitamin D on my cottage cheese about every other day. I have low Vit D levels - I did before surgery. All my others are chewable. I have to find some of those Gummy multis...

Thanks Barbann....I can and will give it up just in case. I don't "need" it, I just started taking it because my husband did. It did lower my cholesterol, but it was in the 180's already and dropped to the 160's. It is currently in the 140's and that is without prescription medication!! My husband had a stent put in a year ago, so our diet has changed, much less red meat is all I can figure. Of couse HE LOST 20 lbs. I LOST FIVE!!!! LOL My cholesterol dropped though!!! Thanks again!!

Here's the deal with Calcium carbonate vs. calcium citrate. The carbonate requires stomach acid to break down. The citrate does not. Therefore, it's much better to take the citrate post-WLS because our bodies absorb it much much better. I was told to take between 1200-1500mg of calcium citrate a day, but you must split your dosages and do it in two doses; your body can only absorb so much at a time.

B-12 is important because a B-12 deficiency could potentially cause (from WebMD):

What are the symptoms?

If your Vitamin B12 deficiency is mild, you may not have symptoms or you may not notice them. Some people may think they are just the result of growing older. As the anemia gets worse, you may:

If the level of Vitamin B12 stays low for a long time, it can damage your nerve cells. If this happens, you may have:

• Numbness or tingling in your fingers and toes.
  • A poor sense of balance.
  • Depression.
  • Dementia, a loss of mental abilities.

Definitely one of the most important post-op Vitamins. Hope that helps. :001_tongue:

Here's the deal with Calcium carbonate vs. calcium citrate. The carbonate requires stomach acid to break down. The citrate does not. Therefore, it's much better to take the citrate post-WLS because our bodies absorb it much much better. I was told to take between 1200-1500mg of calcium citrate a day, but you must split your dosages and do it in two doses; your body can only absorb so much at a time.

B-12 is important because a B-12 deficiency could potentially cause (from WebMD):

What are the symptoms?

If your Vitamin B12 deficiency is mild, you may not have symptoms or you may not notice them. Some people may think they are just the result of growing older. As the anemia gets worse, you may:

If the level of Vitamin B12 stays low for a long time, it can damage your nerve cells. If this happens, you may have:

• Numbness or tingling in your fingers and toes.
  • A poor sense of balance.
  • Depression.
  • Dementia, a loss of mental abilities.

Definitely one of the most important post-op Vitamins. Hope that helps. :blushing:

Great information, thanks!!!

coffee first! Then,

1 sublingual B12 500 mcg's

1 Nexium 20 mg mup

1 Solotron multi from GNC chewable (thanks Tiff, they're great!)

1 Bariatric Advantage Iron

in the evening,

1 more multi

That's it but I am thinking of adding Calcium soon. Maybe Biotin since my hair is already so ridiculously thin and fragile.

Aceves, however, only requires a multi and iron...

Daily

1-20mg Prilosec (taken once daily first thing in the morning 1 hour before eating)

1- GNC Solotron chewable with bioavailable Iron (morning and evening with food)

1 Omega 3 with DHA and EPA (2 hours after Prilosec)

1 calcium citrate (2 hours after Prilosec)

Evening - Repeat Omega 3s, and Calcium Citrate

Every Other day

1- sublingual B12 25,000mcg

1-2 Tbsp Ground Organic Flax seed (added to my meals)