Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Umbach in Las Vegas?

Hi I am new to the forum and have a pre op appointment with Dr. Umbach in Feb 2010 for the sleeve. When did you have your pre op appointment, how long was surgery scheduled after and were you given a liquid pre op diet? Will you be using insurance with this surgery if so was it approved? I am real nervous after seeing some of these messages. I am now waiting for the approval from BCBS.... HELP

Sorry I missed this. When is your pre-op appointment? I had my sleeve with him last Wednesday and I was totally impressed. He took time to listen to my questions and give me clear answers. He didn't downplay the risks and gave it to me straight. But, he was confident in his abilities and his past experience.

My mother-in-law is an OR Nurse and went with me to Vegas. She totally interviewed and questioned him. I told her that if she didn't like what she heard, we would leave. Well, she liked him and I had my surgery on the 27th.

No one can tell you the right surgeon for you. But, I would urge you to go to the appointment and see for yourself.

Let us know what you decide.

Just curious, in your research did you find out how many sleeves in particular Dr umbach has done?

To be honest, I did not get an exact number. I know it was more than the 15 on OH. He is doing about 3-4 a week.

I had my VSG surgery on 1/27/10 with Ms. Mini-Me, and I can only resonate what she said....Dr. Umbach was AWESOME! But, everyone needs to do their own research and find a surgeon that they themselves feel comfortable with.

Dr. Umbach had 4 surgeries that day -- 3 VSG and 1 band. And, he has a ton of experience with gastric bypass and the deodondal switch, which are far more complicated, and which sometimes require similar procedures as VSG as prerequistes for the final bypass.

I do not regret my decision to have Dr. Umbach do my surgery. He did nothing but make us feel comfortable, and took time to share with us the risks.

How much does Dr. Umbach charge to perform VSG? thanks!

How much does Dr. Umbach charge to perform VSG? thanks!

We went through Medical Tourism and quoted $10,900.00

thank you mini :) I see you just had your surgery a few weeks ago. So far, what do you think about Dr, Umbach? If you had to do it over again with him as a Dr. ,. would you?

15 is not very many at all. I'd also ask him why he has moved from state-to-state, that is unusual for a barriatric surgeon. I'd also inquire as to how many medical malpractice cases he has had against him. (Generally that is why doctors/surgeons tend to move around alot.) I know he has been in 3 states in less than 10 years.

I would DEFINITELY do a lot of research before making your final decision.

Angel thank you so much for this info. That is a really big deal!

What I can tell is my experience. I thought Dr. Umbach was top notch as a surgeon and I would definitely use him or recommend him. If anyone wants specific information, please feel free to PM me.

Sorry I missed this. When is your pre-op appointment? I had my sleeve with him last Wednesday and I was totally impressed. He took time to listen to my questions and give me clear answers. He didn't downplay the risks and gave it to me straight. But, he was confident in his abilities and his past experience.

My mother-in-law is an OR Nurse and went with me to Vegas. She totally interviewed and questioned him. I told her that if she didn't like what she heard, we would leave. Well, she liked him and I had my surgery on the 27th.

No one can tell you the right surgeon for you. But, I would urge you to go to the appointment and see for yourself.

Let us know what you decide.

I had my surgery the same day w/ Dr. Umbach! I have nothing but great things to say about them. He was very thorough in his pre and post op exams and spent a good long while with us answering all our questions and making sure we understood everything. I'm an RN myself, and my Dad has had a bypass so we were pretty prepared w/ a list of questions and he was able to answer every one of them w/o any difficulty. We were both completely confident in him and his staff. The two Hollys in his office are great and it was a super awesome experience from start to finish and they have even called me at home (in NC) to check on me and he gave me their cell phone numbers in case I needed anything. You can't beat that!

I have had zero problems since surgery and was able to go back to work in 2 weeks after my surgery, even working 12 hour shifts!! So, I definately recommend him and actually have recommended him to several of my friends. HTH! :thumbup:

I had my VSG surgery on 1/27/10 with Ms. Mini-Me, and I can only resonate what she said....Dr. Umbach was AWESOME! But, everyone needs to do their own research and find a surgeon that they themselves feel comfortable with.

Dr. Umbach had 4 surgeries that day -- 3 VSG and 1 band. And, he has a ton of experience with gastric bypass and the deodondal switch, which are far more complicated, and which sometimes require similar procedures as VSG as prerequistes for the final bypass.

I do not regret my decision to have Dr. Umbach do my surgery. He did nothing but make us feel comfortable, and took time to share with us the risks.

My sentiments exactly! :thumbup:

I opted for surgery at Seven Hills Surgery Center. I had the option of either & just liked the idea of not staying in a hospital overnight. Definitely a personal choice and I know that many don't agree with it. But, for me it was the right choice.

I opted for surgery at Seven Hills Surgery Center. I had the option of either & just liked the idea of not staying in a hospital overnight. Definitely a personal choice and I know that many don't agree with it. But, for me it was the right choice.

That is what I'll be doing too, but of course now I'm second guessing myself...

If I change my mind my surgery date will have to change too which is okay if necessary, although I'm geared up for 7/16 right now, lol.

Did you find that going to the hotel was okay? My mom will be travelling with me now and I'm hoping that I'll be sleeping (fingers crossed). I have a fairly high pain tolerance and didn't have gas pain from my oovarectomy. guess it's the gas pain that is the most troublesome for people immediately out of surgery?