Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Umbach in Las Vegas?

Hi Nancy,

From my research (online and off), I have discovered that this statistic you mention is VERY accurate. He has done a TON of bands and bypass, but very limited amount of sleeves. There are two nice ladies I met on here that are going to Vegas soon, to have their sleeves done with Dr. Umbach. One of them said they would share their experiences with me (and, since I live here in Vegas, I may even meet up with them while they are here... they're from my home-state). Anyways, if I come across more information, I will share it with you. I do have SOME further information that I would be happy to share in a PM if you'd like. Let me know... Best! :smile:

Hi Nancy,

From my research (online and off), I have discovered that this statistic you mention is VERY accurate. He has done a TON of bands and bypass, but very limited amount of sleeves. There are two nice ladies I met on here that are going to Vegas soon, to have their sleeves done with Dr. Umbach. One of them said they would share their experiences with me (and, since I live here in Vegas, I may even meet up with them while they are here... they're from my home-state). Anyways, if I come across more information, I will share it with you. I do have SOME further information that I would be happy to share in a PM if you'd like. Let me know... Best! :smile:

Friends,

PLEASE be very careful choosing a surgeon, paying special attention to their experience so you have less chance of a costly complication. This was recently posted by Alex on this forum:

How can I select a surgeon for this relatively new procedure?

The best results are usually going to correlate with surgeon experience. Any surgeon who has done more than 500 procedures for over 5 years in one location has probably optimized all elements of the operation and aftercare to obtain the best possible results. In addition, since the VSG stomach is the same as the Duodenal Switch stomach, any surgeon who has been doing duodenal switches laparoscopically is probably quite experienced with the VSG!

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/ask-dr-gregg-jossart/2356-vertical-sleeve-gastrectomy-information-dr-gregg-jossart.html

Be careful, be safe!

I agree with CAJUN... it's best to do a lot of homework and choose your surgeon wisely. With that said, any and all doctors can and do have complications... but, I'd rather be safe than sorry, and pick someone with a lot of experience, high level of success, and low level of complications and problems.

Best to all! :smile:

I don't know anything about Dr. Umbach, but I did have my sleeve surgery on October 8, 2009, by Dr Francis Teng. He is a general surgeon, however, he has been doing the sleeve surgery for the last 7 years. In my research I have found many people who have used him for many different types of surgery (including my dentist) and everyone said the same thing - he runs a tight ship, has used the same surgical team for the last 7 yrs here in Las Vegas, including his brother who is the anesthesiologist. I was a self pay and once I made the decision to go thru with the surgery I had the usual tests plus he required an echo since I previously used phen/phen . It wasn't realistic for me to travel to Mexico as I am the caretaker for my father - the cost of hiring a caretaker for at least a week, the travel, just the fear of being in another country for surgery and possible complications - it was worth it to me to stay in my own town - hospital 10 minutes from my house - an overnight stay in the hospital - wasn't cheap (25k) but Dr Teng's office follows you for 2 years and the hospital (Mountain View) follows you for 5 years - no follow-up charges by either. I figured if it extened my life a minimum of 25 years - that's a thousand dollars a year - less than 1 hundred dollars a month - I felt I was worth it. Good luck to you on your surgery with whatever doctor you select. It was the best decision I ever made. Renee

Hi Nancy,

From my research (online and off), I have discovered that this statistic you mention is VERY accurate. He has done a TON of bands and bypass, but very limited amount of sleeves. There are two nice ladies I met on here that are going to Vegas soon, to have their sleeves done with Dr. Umbach. One of them said they would share their experiences with me (and, since I live here in Vegas, I may even meet up with them while they are here... they're from my home-state). Anyways, if I come across more information, I will share it with you. I do have SOME further information that I would be happy to share in a PM if you'd like. Let me know... Best! :)

I am one of the "nice ladies" referred to above. We will definitely be sharing our experience on here of our surgeries. We have done quite a bit of research and I feel very confident in our choice. More to come... :(

I have heard a LOT of good information about Dr. Teng. A few people I know here in Vegas have gone to him. He is very skilled and professional... However, I have never heard one good thing about his office staff. My best friend had her band through Dr. Teng, and she had a ton of problems getting appointments, etc. Again, these are his family members, so it is incredibly hard to "complain"... Nonetheless, never heard one thing bad about HIM. He's supposed to be the best in town.

:(:) :smile:

So sorry to hear your friend had problems getting her appointments - I have never had to call for an appointment - they just set up follow-ups for me and always when it is convenient for me. One of the reasons I didn't want the Band was because of all the follow-up appointments. By the time I had my surgery BC/BS wasn't covering any weight loss surgeries and I know the band was appx 16k alone and all the fills were 200+ each so in the long run it didn't make sense to me.

So sorry to hear your friend had problems getting her appointments - I have never had to call for an appointment - they just set up follow-ups for me and always when it is convenient for me. One of the reasons I didn't want the Band was because of all the follow-up appointments. By the time I had my surgery BC/BS wasn't covering any weight loss surgeries and I know the band was appx 16k alone and all the fills were 200+ each so in the long run it didn't make sense to me.

You're right... it has a LOT to do with the massive amount of follow-up with the band.

Please keep us posted on how everything is going with you. Thank you for sharing this... Like I said before, never had heard anything bad about TENG as a surgeon. He's supposed to be the best. :(

I was looking for info on him as well and checked OH - according to this he has only done 15 VSG's and is doing an ave of 2/wk. Not sure where this data comes from.

Bariatric Surgeon Profile - Thomas Umbach, M.D.

Nancy

That sounds like minimal experience...I would not have been comfortable with him as my surgeon, nothing personal. I just wanted someone who had done at least 300 with a low complication rate. Am glad I did.

While I am not sure of the exact numbers, Dr. Umbach has done thousands of bariatric procedures and certainly more than 15 sleeves. Not sure of the exact numbers or how OH gets them, but it sounds like they need to update those numbers.

However, I agree - everyone should do their own research and make sure they are comfortable with their surgeon. Of course, I haven't physcially been there yet. However, my conversations with the doctor and staff, research, and word-of-mouth information have made me comfortable with my decision. And, that's all I can do. :thumbup:

While I am not sure of the exact numbers, Dr. Umbach has done thousands of bariatric procedures and certainly more than 15 sleeves. Not sure of the exact numbers or how OH gets them, but it sounds like they need to update those numbers.

However, I agree - everyone should do their own research and make sure they are comfortable with their surgeon. Of course, I haven't physcially been there yet. However, my conversations with the doctor and staff, research, and word-of-mouth information have made me comfortable with my decision. And, that's all I can do. :thumbup1:

I support your decision and wish you the absolute best! I'm sure all will go well! Here's to your sleeve! :smile:

Hi mini me,,

I can't wait to hear all about your surgery, the facility etc. If you have any info that you have received from Dr. Umbach's office or others (that you are willing to share), please send me a PM.

If you are talking to them and they can give you an updated number on the sleeves performed it would be great (I'm not sure if they could send them to OH).

Thanks and best wishes for a great surgery and recovery

Nancy

I support your decision and wish you the absolute best! I'm sure all will go well! Here's to your sleeve! :001_smile:
Hi mini me,,

I can't wait to hear all about your surgery, the facility etc. If you have any info that you have received from Dr. Umbach's office or others (that you are willing to share), please send me a PM.

If you are talking to them and they can give you an updated number on the sleeves performed it would be great (I'm not sure if they could send them to OH).

Thanks and best wishes for a great surgery and recovery

Nancy

Thanks guys ... I'll let you know how things go. Yahoo!

Hi I am new to the forum and have a pre op appointment with Dr. Umbach in Feb 2010 for the sleeve. When did you have your pre op appointment, how long was surgery scheduled after and were you given a liquid pre op diet? Will you be using insurance with this surgery if so was it approved? I am real nervous after seeing some of these messages. I am now waiting for the approval from BCBS.... HELP