Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insulin Pumpers having VSG?

this forum is great. I am a insulin dependant type 1 with a insulin pump and I am considering the sleeve surgery. I have dont a lot of research but could not find a lot of information on pumpers and the surgery. I LOVE THIS SITE it helps with so many questions. My big concern was low blood sugars. I am terrified that I am going to go low and not be able to eat anything to get the blood sugars back up. I am glad that there is a soultion for me. Like most of the pumpers I have learned how to just adjust my pump to the food that I eat. I can eat anything I want and just give myself more insulin to counter it. Well it has effected me in the weight catigory big time. I have gained 100 pounds in the 5 years that I have had my pump.

I really dont want to go back to injection because I was horlible about taking them I would fotget or just decided that I didnt want to do it and THAT IS REALLY BAD !!!! so I want to keep my pump and just reduce the amount that I take.

Is anyone thinking about doing the surgery in Mexico. It is so much cheaper and I dont have insurance that will cover this so I have to pay myself.

Thank you so very much for this information

Hello, it's late here (UK) so just a quick answer. I had my op done last August. I'm a pump user for more than 6-7 years. VSG is a miracle for me. I was size 28 at the beginning, presently 16. I'm progressing slowly but steady. I've consultations witho my pump nurse or doctor once a month. My pump settings have to be changed on monthly basis due to my weigh loss. I stoped taking lots of other drugs: statyns, metorformin, .... All because my weight started coming down. I feel great. Making 4-6 tests a day, so I know what's going on with my sugar levels. Overall my control is not bad. When sugar drops- normal treatment. I feel wonderful, full of energy, 20 years younger! Iove my life now. I even started to love myself. I wish you all the best!

Hi.

On insulin pump for 30 years (really--I was number 16 out of Tulane in New Orleans.) Scheduled for sleeve on Jan 27 in Louisiana. Am looking forward.........

I am diabetic on pump in Louisiana looking into having wls in Thibodaux

Hi.

On insulin pump for 30 years (really--I was number 16 out of Tulane in New Orleans.) Scheduled for sleeve on Jan 27 in Louisiana. Am looking forward.........

I am diabetic on pump in Louisiana looking into having wls in Thibodaux

Great, Lagranny! I would do it all over again!!! Mine was done in Alexandria. My sister also (not a diabetic) went to this doctor after I did. She did lose more weight than I did--more to lose though (80lbs to my 40). Go for it...

I've posted all around so I'm sorry if it's a repeat, but I am a type one for about 20 years a pump for most of that. I had a VSG in December 2011 and have lost about 50 lbs. I'm feeling stuck. How many carbs are you all having a day? Did you lose more slowly after your first three months? Will I ever get rid of the next 100 lbs I need to???

Yes, you will. As type 1 our weight loss might not be as spectacular as others but a weight loss is a weight loss! I'm very comfortable size UK 16 (USA 14) hips, top 20 ( USA18).

I stoped my rapid weight loss about 6 months ago. My body shape is still changing. I do yoga and Pilates. I work as a shop assistant so 6-8 hours a day I'm running on the shop floor. I eat as normally as I can. If I fancy something sweet I have some. No dramatics! I never thought that I'll ever be less than size 28

( USA26). I feel young (at 56) and I'm enjoying my life tremendously!

So I might never be size 12 or 10. I don't care. Most importantly, my quality of life is fantastic. I like myself, I like what I see in the mirror 1st time in 15 years. I'll say to you: you are 50 pound lighter now. I know that you can feel the difference. Relax in to it. We're not in competition! After 50 years of age slowly is more beneficial than too fast. You know: stretched skin etc..

I did it slowly, no great problems cosmetically. Thank you, God for that miracle.

I eat, I have great fun when I'm out with my friends. I don't give long explanations about size of my portions. I eat what I can because I want to stay thin. Thin people don't eat big plates of food! If they did they wouldn't be thin any more.

Don't worry, stress isn't very helpful for us, ex plus or super+ people..

Stress for many of us meant food and more food. Now food is a friend. I never thought that I'll ever say those words, ever. Life is amazing at 56, almost 2 years after my op. I love every moment! Good, bad and indifferent. I have now a choice when before I didn't. VSG is a miracle!

Yes, you will. As type 1 our weight loss might not be as spectacular as others but a weight loss is a weight loss! I'm very comfortable size UK 16 (USA 14) hips, top 20 ( USA18).

I stoped my rapid weight loss about 6 months ago. My body shape is still changing. I do yoga and Pilates. I work as a shop assistant so 6-8 hours a day I'm running on the shop floor. I eat as normally as I can. If I fancy something sweet I have some. No dramatics! I never thought that I'll ever be less than size 28

( USA26). I feel young (at 56) and I'm enjoying my life tremendously!

So I might never be size 12 or 10. I don't care. Most importantly, my quality of life is fantastic. I like myself, I like what I see in the mirror 1st time in 15 years. I'll say to you: you are 50 pound lighter now. I know that you can feel the difference. Relax in to it. We're not in competition! After 50 years of age slowly is more beneficial than too fast. You know: stretched skin etc..

I did it slowly, no great problems cosmetically. Thank you, God for that miracle.

I eat, I have great fun when I'm out with my friends. I don't give long explanations about size of my portions. I eat what I can because I want to stay thin. Thin people don't eat big plates of food! If they did they wouldn't be thin any more.

Don't worry, stress isn't very helpful for us, ex plus or super+ people..

Stress for many of us meant food and more food. Now food is a friend. I never thought that I'll ever say those words, ever. Life is amazing at 56, almost 2 years after my op. I love every moment! Good, bad and indifferent. I have now a choice when before I didn't. VSG is a miracle!

I admire your positive attitude. I do feel guilty about being frustrated at my loss so far since it is better. However, I would like to at least make my goal. Knowing that others have done this and I'm not the only one who has experienced the same thing is helpful. Makes me realize that it's not just me out there.

Thanks.

Darling, just enjoy life and the rest will come. Maybe not as fast as we would like but life has its own ideas most of the time. After years of hating myself and pushing "stones" up the hill this is so different!

Have fun, go out with friends, don't make yourself unhappy with trying to provide "correct" answers.

Just go with it and your body will take care of the rest.

Hello everyone! It's so nice to see that there are other people out there like me. I'm 28 years old, I've been a type 1 Diabetic for the past 18 years. I've been on an insulin pump for the past 10 years. I had my sleeve done a week ago. It's been a lot of work with controlling my blood sugars, but it's all worth it. I'm really looking forward to losing the weight and feeling young and healthy again!

Are you back home? My doc, diabetic one, adjusted my levels in the hospital, before I left. He, very kindly, left me his email address, too. Same with my "pump" nurse.

Having their help "on tap" and monthly visit to the clinic glucose control went rather well. The biggest "problem" was to get my head to adjust to new insulin needs.

Are you back home? My doc' date=' diabetic one, adjusted my levels in the hospital, before I left. He, very kindly, left me his email address, too. Same with my "pump" nurse.

Having their help "on tap" and monthly visit to the clinic glucose control went rather well. The biggest "problem" was to get my head to adjust to new insulin needs.[/quote']

I'm back home. I got to go home on my 2nd day post-op. Unfortunately my endo didn't have privileges to the hospital I was at, so I've been faxing my blood sugars to him and having them adjusted. So far it's going very well and I only need about half of the insulin I used to. It's amazing.

It's only the beginning. I promise it'll get better. The discomfort you're experiencing, difficulties with finding a comfortable position in bed, "teething" problems with your new menu..all of this after few months will be forgotten.

Benefits are GREAT.

The NEW YOU, the one who always was residing inside you, will start emerging. It'll be the most amazing feeling seeing her looking at you in the mirror. I know. It happened to me and others like us. Life can be wonderful again.

Thanks for the inspiration. I'm definitely willing to suffer for what lies ahead. I can't wait! I've already lost 14 pounds since my surgery and it's only been 8 days!

Im so lucky that i found this thread... Iv been researching all over the internet but at no avail... Im 26 type1 diabetic for the past 19 yrs on insulin pump, with different basal rates going up to 3.5/hr. my max usage per day is 175 units a day (bad days) a typical day would have a consumption of around 140 units. I have had insulin resistance. I have decided to go for the sleeve. As many lf u,i think, most of the drs encourage type 2 but not type 1, so I he wanted to contact my dr (diabetologist) who does not know a lot about me as i have been doctoring myself since i was around 13. Anyway i visited him and informed him about my decision and he approved. Now my sleeve dr said he will do the sleeve for me for obesity reasons not to fix my diabetes (knowing that i am doing it for obesity not diabetes), i am concerned about few things.

Can u please answer me the following questions

1- where u on or off the pump during surgery?

2- any complications with the wound?

3- any leaks?

4- any infection?

5- how many hypoglycemias were encountered during the day?

6- after how many days did u go back to ur normal life? Work?

7- how many days were u hospitalized?

8- immediately after the surgery, did the insulin consumption decrease by half?

9- how slow is the weight loss process?

I am sorry to ask these questions but i need to know a bit of those mechanics as i kind of want to know how to manage myself and inform the dr.

Thanks a lot

Im so happy i found u :)