Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insulin Pumpers having VSG?

I'm set to have surgery in July. Diabetic for 18 1/2 years and been on pump 16 years. Using 280 units a day so changing pump daily. Scared about the liquid diet coming up.

Missy Feuerborn<br />Independent Scentsy Consultant<br />https://missyfeuerborn.scentsy.us

This was such a great thread to read! I hope some of you are still active on this site and will be around to answer questions as they come up. I am a T1 for over 20 yrs, on a pump for almost that long, and will be sleeved some time in October.

Thank you all for sharing!

I'm was a type 2 but now am a type 1. I wear a pump and take 100-150 units a day. Vsg on October 21 2014. Starting my 10 day liquid diet tomorrow. I am very scared about what my blood sugars will do. I am reading all these post and they are so what comforting. I still have questions. My endo advised me to edit my basil rate by 50% when I started liquid diet and monitor from there. What did everyone else do ? I hope we are not the only ones checking in on here Jessiquot !

I was lucky I only had one day of liquids however I had my gastric bypass Jan 2014 and went from 120 units down to 45 units currently the best thing is to montier montier montier

I'm was a type 2 but now am a type 1. I wear a pump and take 100-150 units a day. Vsg on October 21 2014. Starting my 10 day liquid diet tomorrow. I am very scared about what my blood sugars will do. I am reading all these post and they are so what comforting. I still have questions. My endo advised me to edit my basil rate by 50% when I started liquid diet and monitor from there. What did everyone else do ? I hope we are not the only ones checking in on here Jessiquot !

I had a hard time with my bs going all over the place. I wore my pump for 1 day and then bs were crazy so then went to shots, but still running high. They didn't really know how to treat it to be honest. My endoc told me to cut the basal in 1/2 as well. I didn't have to do any diet before surgery so yeah. Didn't experience too many lows to be honest.

Hello Again! Well, I did the seminars and the first hospital (I'll call it hosp. "A") I went to, I didn't really like, although they are a "Center of Excellence" or something or other, I just wasn't feeling 'it' with the Nurse coordinator lady (she gave about 95% of the 6 HOUR seminar), the other 5% was the nutritionist (but she couldn't get her laptop to work, so that was really useless!) dry.gif I was also dissapointed because the surgeons didn't even show up to introduce themselves...

The following night I went to the other seminar at another hospital (we'll call this hospital "B") (only 2 hours this time rolleyes.gif). This hospital is much closer to home & I really liked the format a lot better. Much more 'laid back' and casual, but really informative. Both of the hospital's bariatric surgeons presented the material and I really appreciated that they took the time to show up and do that! Now, this hospital is NOT a 'Center of Excellence' but I felt much more comfortable there.

This is where I start having issues. The nurse lady, who I really like tells me that VSG's don't really work on type 1 diabetics and especially on women. She told me that men have great results but that women usually do not? blink.gif I was surprised that she said this because of all the success stories I've read on here, and on the web in general... She was really pushing RNY surgery, but I don't know if I really want that...

I haven't made the appointment with the surgeon yet because the office is waiting for my Primary doc to send over my records, but they should get them any day now... I'm going to tell him how I feel and get his opinion. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for taking the time to reply!!! It's nice to know that I'm not alone! Sometimes it soooooo feels like it w/ being a type 1 and overweight. When I say I'm diabetic, people AUTOMATICALLY assume type 2, and that really bothers me! I don't know why, it just does...

So Thanks again.

Wendy

Now

cant believe they would recommend RNY over VSG for insulin dependent diabetic...the biggest thing with RNY is that any kind of sugar makes you sick, so what do they think you're going to do when you have a low blood sugar? Wish it away? There's a lot of ignorance out there in the medical community. Don't take one answer as gospel!

Any pumpers still out there?

T1D for 40 years. Pumper since 2004. I've been worried about controlling my sugars post-op. During the middle of the night, my go-to for lows has always been a Peanut Butter sandwich, and I'm usually scarfing it down. Now I'm concerned about what will happen now that I can't eat bread - or a whole sandwich. I'm usually half asleep and frantically trying to get my blood sugar back up. I went to my group class last Saturday, and it was suggested to eat honey or agave. I've tried the glucose tablets, but it doesn't seem quick enough for me. Are there any comments or suggestions on how to handle my dilemma?

I am going to keep sippies of juice by my bed just in case, but I will probably not take much more insulin than my basal dose at first since I will not be eating much. I was worried too and saw my endo last week. She said that it hasn't been a problem with her patients as log as their basal doses are set correctly.

I'm a T1D and I had my sleeve surgery 5/18/16 and it's been hard but has made being a T1D so much easier. Although I'm not on the pump and am on a novolog pen, it's just made the amount of insulin I take in super low due to the amount of food I take in. I've only had one bad high ( was at 580) and a few bad lows (30's) but in general has had some awesome affects not only in my weight loss journey but for my diabetes too. Since my surgery I've lost 65lbs and my A1C is at a 6.5. Also I was taken off my metformin due to the fact that I am no longer somewhat insulin resistant because of my weight. I'm only 18 and in my short life, this was the best decision me and my family has ever made.

Edited by fary165