Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

65-70 lbs to lose

i am 31days post op i've lost 21lbs so far and i started at 223lbs and my goal weight was between 135-145 but sometimes i think i'll be pretty happy with 150lbs-idk.

but i'm giving myself until april to get under 170lbs.. i was just wondering if anyone has an idea if you lose 60-80lbs and you're near goal, do you think you have loose skin? or do you think cosmetic surgery is needed for lose skin? I'm hopeing for the best but preparing for the worst. I hate the possiblity of physically, financially and mentaly preparing for another surgery. i would like to believe i can just lose 80lbs and look awsome in a bikini. has anyone seen it done?

Wow! It is great to read all of your posts; it is very encouraging. My surgery is next week on the 18th, my 49th birthday. Time to take charge and get back to a normal weight.

Have any of you dealt with friends/family saying that you didn't have to lose enough to warrant the surgery? To me, the 60 +/- pounds is enough and I couldn't do it on my own. I have hesitated to tell most people because I don't want 1) their uneducated opinion about surgery in Mexico and 2) any other negative comments. Seems it is usually some skinny person who has never had a weight issue in their life : )

Thanks in advance!

I'm having my surgery in 5 weeks and I have about 50-60 lbs to lose. Re: loose skin, I lost 60+ pounds about 15 years ago and I had no trouble with any loose skin at all, and I'm only 5'2" tall. I was in my mid 30s at the time. I'm hoping I have the same good luck now at 51, and I'm hoping the weight stays off this time around!

I'm not telling ANYBODY about the surgery except immediate family, my shrink, and one very close friend. I know they'll all say I'm way too small to be doing WLS, but I've fought the fat battle for 40 years and I'm ready to be done!

i am 31days post op i've lost 21lbs so far and i started at 223lbs and my goal weight was between 135-145 but sometimes i think i'll be pretty happy with 150lbs-idk.

but i'm giving myself until april to get under 170lbs.. i was just wondering if anyone has an idea if you lose 60-80lbs and you're near goal, do you think you have loose skin? or do you think cosmetic surgery is needed for lose skin? I'm hopeing for the best but preparing for the worst. I hate the possiblity of physically, financially and mentaly preparing for another surgery. i would like to believe i can just lose 80lbs and look awsome in a bikini. has anyone seen it done?

Ive lost 52 lbs and dont have noticable loose skin. Everyone is different, though. You'll just have to wait and see.

Wow! It is great to read all of your posts; it is very encouraging. My surgery is next week on the 18th, my 49th birthday. Time to take charge and get back to a normal weight.

Have any of you dealt with friends/family saying that you didn't have to lose enough to warrant the surgery? To me, the 60 +/- pounds is enough and I couldn't do it on my own. I have hesitated to tell most people because I don't want 1) their uneducated opinion about surgery in Mexico and 2) any other negative comments. Seems it is usually some skinny person who has never had a weight issue in their life : )

Thanks in advance!

Happy Birthday and re-Birthday!

Its really not anyone's business but if you tell, they will comment. Its human nature.Their comments will mostly be from a viewpoint w limited information. You have to weigh how important it is for you to have folks know. I have limited telling to only my husband and best friend. Keeps my life simple...

you really do have to put up with some people's stupid comments. i had a lady that works at hospital ask me why i would have surgery to loose weight like i was a stupid person. i said well you know i have been heavy my whole adult life and wanted a tool that could help me get it off and keep it off. she said her son has dropped weight by dieting and body building and i said good for him. i proceeded to walk away before i got mad. this was my decision not anyone elses!!!

I really don't worry about what people are telling me. Most don't know what I have done and they really don't need to know. I have a few people like my sister and sister-in-law telling me that I did not need to do it and that I did not have that much weight to lose. But, this was their opinion. They are also telling me to not lose too much weight. I wonder if they are telling me this because they don't really want me to lose all the weight because they are overweight themselves. Again, I am not worrying about what they are telling me.

I will lose what I feel/think/believe is necessary/healthy for me.

Good luck!

Thanks all!

I am a pretty stubborn person, so while I wouldn't cancel the surgery based on their comments, I really just don't want to deal with anything negative.

I did tell one of our employees on Thursday, she is my assistant. However I prefaced it with "don't be judgemental, no negative comments, etc". She was very understanding (very a skinny person, lol) and wished her sister would do something proactive her about her weight for health reasons. She also had 3 teen/young adult children who are allowed to express their individuality thru tattoos, piercings, etc . . . so I figured she was quite safe to tell, haha! She is also a prayerful person and that aspect was important to me.

I am totally obsessed with this surgery now. I finished my last major project - getting my mom moved last week into a senior housing apartment. Now I only have to finish up the usual stuff at work and fly to San Diego!

oh. And eat my "last meal". Haven't decided what that will be yet ... so many to chose from. LOL Definitely having a big steak tho on Valentine's Day!

I have not told anyone except my fiance, my workout partner (Who has seen how hard it has been trying to lose weight), and one of my other besties who is skinny. I told a stranger one time. She was overweight- heavier than I am, and got the nastiest comment back. Not telling my family, because they are all overweight, and are likely going to be the most judgmental. My mother will just FREAK OUT! The two friends I told have been unbelievably supportive. my workout partner even did her version of the liquid diet in solidarity- and quit on day three, understandaly so -LOL!

To- pnw218

that's a really good question.

And i can't believe how similar all our experiences has been. I think i am gonnabe one of those people who take this secret to my grave. It's funny cause my whole life my weight has fluctuated and everytime it got alittle higher (like 5'6 1/2 140s at 14years old) I will be getting called fat by my parents and my sister and my extended family will have some embarrasing meeting where they make fun of me about my weight and try to disguise it as an "interviention". And then as an adult the same people would say the most hurtful things in the most embarrasing ways about my growing size.

So thanksgiving 2008 when i expressed my interest in the lapband(at the time) all of a sudden "you're not that big" really?!?! cause my whole life you guys made me feel like PRECIOUS,lol.

And my sister mentioned that i will be too skinnyif i had the surgery( but she meant was i would be skinnier THAN HER)

A lot of the younger women in my family are about 10-20lbs overweight but they're normal looking and they're "not fat" so they feel like their bodies are fine. and anything less than what they look like is underweight to them. even though if they check their bmi(and guts) they would see they're overwieght.

But back to the question- yes i have been told that i am too skinny to have the surgery and if i do have the surgery i will be too skinny.

but what i do is i look at the person that's telling me that. i have some overly competative women in my family( all within my age range) and when i gained the weight i do believe alot of them was secretely/not so secretely happy about it. So when they say something about how i shouldn't have surgery i believe they just want to have the advantage of being the skinnier sister/cousin.

coopersmomma- don't sweat the haters if it takes not telling them anything thaen so beat it. casue some people are supposed to be left in the dark because when they find out certain things they use it against u.

thanks for the reply MNB! When I told my youngest daughter (15) last week and explained about the BMI, etc., she said that she really doesn't see me "obese" just a little overweight. I answered any questions that she had - her last one? Mom, are you going to be skinnier than me? Cause that would be really weird! LOL She is 5'9" and less than 130lbs, so I told her that even if I do get down to 130, I would still be a little bigger than her proportionately. She was fine with that! haha!

People really are cruel in their comments sometimes; I don't think they always mean to be hurtful, but often just aren't thinking. Well, at least I hope so!

I was looking at your photo albums. Does the world map mean you like to travel? That is my passion, every time I get!

take care! congrats on your success so far!

O my goodness do I understand what y'all mean...this forum my hubby, mom and sis are the only ones I've told, but now I regret telling my sis...she's about my size and we are very co-dependent. So her remark to me was "I'm not gonna be the only fat sister"...and while I would feel threatened/jealous a little if she was dong it I would most def support her! Well, needless to say it's awkward between us now...she hardly speaks to me. Maybe I'm taking it too personally but the timing is odd. She immediately began a weight loss plan which I am very proud of her for, because her health is far worse than mine. But, I miss her and really need her support. I'm already seeing I'm going to be losing alot more than weight...but this is something I have to do for my health. My mom is scared but supportive and I completely understand that. My husband is very supportive...he has watched me struggle for 11 yrs. I'm sooo glad I have this forum too, truly only my sleeve bros and sisters know the pain/joy/struggles etc! God Bless You All!!!

to: pnw

i cannot believe u have a daughter that old u look awesome. And i agree about people and their mean comments, even i on occasions put my foot in my mouth and accidentally offended someone.

but unfortunately that's not the case with people like my sister and cousins, They say things with the purpose of offending me,smh (god i can't wait to be thin so i can rub it in their face,

lol)

And the map means exactly that. Since my 1st carribean cruise at 19 i've a always managed to find a way to leave the country as much as possible,lol as crazy as it is overhere the ny/nj area can get alittle old. For my bday this april im going to ghana(visit my parents), paris and amsterdam all in one month,lol (crazy but i love it) hopefully by then i'll be 165lb or less.

And this is my 1st real "debute" traveling as a slimmer girl for years and i haven't had a date with a boy i actually like in forever so i'm actually Kinda hopeing for a little summer romance in europe *fingers crossed*...

Edited by mnb

aww god bless u too bekind. We got your back! goodluck

mnb,

thank you however she is my youngest! My oldest daughter is 24 and my son is 22 : )

I just got back from my final cruise as an overweight person; the next vacation I will hopefully be much smaller! I have had issues in the past couple of years with ankle swelling during flights. I am hoping this will resolve by losing weight.

I have been to the Sahara Desert area of Africa. Was visiting a friend who teaches English in a refugee camp about a year ago.

That will be so exciting to show off the new you!