Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have 7 pounds left to lose. Just seems like I am eating too many calories to continue losing. I am concerned that I am going to gain. I still am eating under 1800 calories most days.

Does anyone know if us VSGers can eat the number of calories that are recommended by experts to maintain weight for normal people. Like my recommendation is for 2100 calories. I really don't want to gain anything and I'm just beginning to worry.

My husband is getting VSG on July 9 and I feel like I'll lose more helping him eat the right things.:001_tt2:

When you say "experts" what do you mean? I find that those online tracking site always tell you a much higher number of calories than ever worked for me. And this was pre-op too.

If you want to know how many calories you need to eat on average, you need to get your RMR tested. This test will measure your actual oxygen consumption and translate that into the number of calories you consume at rest (i.e., sitting down).

Then, you can add in your exercise and/or multiply by an activity factor to get a range of calories you can eat between.

Or you can do it the old fashioned way and just slowly up your calories until you stop losing and whatever number it is, that's the number it is.

I am going to do a combination of both. I want my RMR to get me in the ballpark and then I'll just experiment to see what works.

I have 7.5 lbs to lose and I'm eating on ave. 600 calories a day! How do you eat 1800 calories??!! :) What are you eating? I was told at the seminar that I attended before surgery that after I reached goal I should be eating approx. 1000 - 1200 calories to maintain. The calories you are talking about are for a person with a normal sized stomach, have you talked to your surgeon?

It is really an individual thing. Depends on what you eat and how much exercise you get. I just had two weeks of a cold combined with my usual PMS carb craving and I gained two pounds in those two weeks. So it is indeed possible to gain quickly with the sleeve! I am now back on about 1500 calories a day and I don't think I'll have any trouble losing a couple of pounds again: it feels really nice to be back on track so to speak. The online calculator I use also gives me about 1800 calories as a maintenance ballpark figure but I think you just have to fine tune it for you.

I maintain on 1,800, how does anyone live on 600 cals a day. That's the intake of Japanese POWs!! When you have fat reserves it's fine but when you are pared down it is unsustainable! What does your doctor suggest NtvTxn?

You may want to try something like a Fitbit or Bodybugg it will calculate how many calories you burn a day.

I have 7.5 lbs to lose and I'm eating on ave. 600 calories a day! How do you eat 1800 calories??!! :) What are you eating? I was told at the seminar that I attended before surgery that after I reached goal I should be eating approx. 1000 - 1200 calories to maintain. The calories you are talking about are for a person with a normal sized stomach, have you talked to your surgeon?

WOWWWWW! 600 calories a day??? How do you do it lol? I have 4.6 lbs. to my normal BMI goal and I know I'm eating too many calories. I started to journal yesterday and cheated and then just stopped journaling.