Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Relief of Post-op Gas

Views
Started by learned2bskinny, Jun 04, 2009 2:55 PM
15 replies to this topic
15 replies to this topic

Posted June 4, 2009 - 2:55 PM

I've heard a lot of sleevers complaining about the gas pains post op. I am an RN and worked post-op for many years. One of the best remedies I have come across was warm lemon juice. It works every time! A very small amount drank slowly would relieve the gas within minutes. Just wondering if this is "legal" clear liquid for immediately post-op with the sleeve?

Rosebud2

Junior Guru

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted June 4, 2009 - 5:38 PM

That's good information for future reference. I'm not sure if that would be allowed after sleeving. I'll leave that to others.

WASaBubbleButt

Bariatric Legend

• My Blogs
Posted June 4, 2009 - 6:29 PM

I've heard a lot of sleevers complaining about the gas pains post op. I am an RN and worked post-op for many years. One of the best remedies I have come across was warm lemon juice. It works every time! A very small amount drank slowly would relieve the gas within minutes. Just wondering if this is "legal" clear liquid for immediately post-op with the sleeve?

The only thing I will tell you is that it might be a bit acidic. You have a raw wound on your stomach. Lemon juice... that might hurt.

If you do it water it down a LOT! Drink slowly, if you feel fire, stop. ;o)

Posted June 4, 2009 - 7:38 PM

true about the acidity. I might give it a try, though slowly and watered down, if gas becomes a big problem for me. I'll let you know how it works out.

Ruthi

Aspiring Evangelist

Posted June 5, 2009 - 11:48 AM

Is the gas inside the stomach, outside or both? If it is outside in the abdominal cavity, how would drinking something help?

WASaBubbleButt

Bariatric Legend

• My Blogs
Posted June 5, 2009 - 11:59 AM

Is the gas inside the stomach, outside or both? If it is outside in the abdominal cavity, how would drinking something help?

Both, the gas from surgery is absorbed into the GI system.

Ruthi

Aspiring Evangelist

Posted June 5, 2009 - 2:43 PM

Thanks Wassa, I knew you would have an answer for me

Guest_ardita_* Joined: Jan 1970
  • Surgery: Duodenal Switch
  • Height: 5 feet 1 inches
  • Weight Lost: 200 lbs
  • BMI: 47.2
  • My Blogs
Posted June 10, 2009 - 8:02 AM

The post op gas can be very uncomfortable for a couple of days. The best way to deal with it is to walk it off, starting day of surgery in the hospital. It is absorbed into the body so it is not relieved simply by belching and farting.

Elisabethsew

BariatricPal Host

• My Blogs
Posted June 10, 2009 - 9:00 AM

Actually, you DO get relief of the gas by farting... it moves the pressure OUT and relieves the pain.

Malaika

Bariatric Hero

Posted June 10, 2009 - 9:02 AM

Actually, you DO get relief of the gas by farting... it moves the pressure OUT and relieves the pain.

I've found a heating pad on the belly helps a great deal too ... mine is packed and going with me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Nov 22
    marie110

another pound yay me holidays eating scares me but really gonna try to sta...

Show comments (1)
  • Photo
      Nov 22
    Saima Tahseen

📌Get up when you hear the ADHAN, just like when you hear your phone Ring 📌R...

Show comments (1)
View All Updates

Trending Topics

Topics with No Reply