Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Try to convince Jaffa's wife to come in and introduce herself! We are a big happy family here and would love to have her be a part of it.

I am glad to hear you're getting your liquids down and not feeling nauseous. You'll be feeling like your old self in no time at all.

It sounds like you're having a great experience there, just like the rest of us!

We need to have a Dr. Aceves family reunion!

I just want to thank everyone for their posts. I chose Dr. Aceves for revision surgery (lap to VSG) in large part due to the great information from folks on VST. I am scheduled for June 14th. So far, the experience with Nina (my PC) has been fantastic. It's dramatic how much better even the patient coordination has been compared to my experience with the two U.S. surgeons I've worked with.

Thanks again everyone!

I just want to thank everyone for their posts. I chose Dr. Aceves for revision surgery (lap to VSG) in large part due to the great information from folks on VST. I am scheduled for June 14th. So far, the experience with Nina (my PC) has been fantastic. It's dramatic how much better even the patient coordination has been compared to my experience with the two U.S. surgeons I've worked with.

Thanks again everyone!

I will be there the 10th-14th so we will be just missing each other! You won't regret it. Dr. A did my band surgery and I've been back down there twice since then. My revision surgery will be my 4th trip to Mexicali. I am 6'2" and blonde, so you can't miss me - if you see me in the hallway holler at me! :D

I am 7 days post-op. Dr Aceves did my surgery & 2 friends prior. We all had amazing experiences. Also, Dr Campos is his nutritionist and also has a sleeve. He saw me everyday and sometimes more often. It's not the cheapest in Mexico, but they are very experienced.

Alice - great to hear!!! How are you feeling?? :)

Edited to add - I know we pay sometimes twice as much compared to other Mexico docs but I am a firm believer you get what you pay for! I am paying twice as much bc Aceves is the most experienced doc in Mexico by far in regards to the sleeve. I'd pay three times as much for his expertise and his team's care. B)

Edited by blondeej

I found out two weeks before my Aceves date that my insurance WOULD cover my surgery. I met with the bariatric surgeon locally and his experience couldn't hold a candle to Dr. Aceves. I certainly could have found another surgeon in the US and saved myself some $$...but I was SO comfortable with my decision to use Dr. Aceves, I went anyway and self-paid. I think there are a number of great surgeons out there (Aceves being one of them), but in the end you have to find who's right for you. And he was the guy for me. So pleased. I don't regret forking out the cash for a second. Now, I'm only two weeks out, so perhaps ask me in 4 years ;) But that's more about me learning to use my sleeve...and thankfully have a therapist and a nutritionist locally to keep me on task to make the most of what Dr. Aceves gave me!

Thanks again everyone!

I'm scheduled for June 14th as well but my husband is worried about me going to Mexico for surgery. I'm also having a revision surgery (lap band to VSG). Does anyone know how far is the drive from the border to the hospital ? I don't mean from the airport. my husband doesn't feel comfortable if majority of the drive to hospital will be inside Mexico as opposed to the US.

Hi. I am sitting here in Mexicali. I am a revision too but my band was so badly eroded I will need to come back in a few months for my sleeve. that's disappointing. But the care here is second to none and the staff here is fantastic. They clean and clean the facilities and they are courteous and warm. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't hesitate to bring my closest friends or family here. I will of corse be back when I can get the sleeve after my tummy heals.

The majority of the drive is in the U.S. with ten minutes in Mexicali. Mexicali is actually a fine city and feels quite safe. I walked before dinner the day before yesterday with no issues. Since the driver picks you up and drops you off, you are never alone on the streets unless you chose to be. It's super safe and I feel safer here then in most big cities in the states.

But, mostly I appreciate Dr. Aceves, Dr. Campo (who is a total cutie and sleever too), and the lovely Blanca.

I'm scheduled for June 14th as well but my husband is worried about me going to Mexico for surgery. I'm also having a revision surgery (lap band to VSG). Does anyone know how far is the drive from the border to the hospital ? I don't mean from the airport. my husband doesn't feel comfortable if majority of the drive to hospital will be inside Mexico as opposed to the US.

Once you cross the border into Mexicali it takes Ernesto about 10 mins to get to Hospital Almater.

You could almost literally throw a rock over to the states you're so close. lol When you're at the hospital your cell will still pick up the US towers. :)

ETA: didn't see Sylvia's post before I posted mine! Redundant info, but I guess you get the point now! lol

Edited by blondeej

Hi. I am sitting here in Mexicali. I am a revision too but my band was so badly eroded I will need to come back in a few months for my sleeve. that's disappointing. But the care here is second to none and the staff here is fantastic. They clean and clean the facilities and they are courteous and warm. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't hesitate to bring my closest friends or family here. I will of corse be back when I can get the sleeve after my tummy heals.

The majority of the drive is in the U.S. with ten minutes in Mexicali. Mexicali is actually a fine city and feels quite safe. I walked before dinner the day before yesterday with no issues. Since the driver picks you up and drops you off, you are never alone on the streets unless you chose to be. It's super safe and I feel safer here then in most big cities in the states.

But, mostly I appreciate Dr. Aceves, Dr. Campo (who is a total cutie and sleever too), and the lovely Blanca.

I was already looking forward to having a companion in Mexicali. Did you move up your surgery date ? Sorry to hear that you couldn't get sleeve now. I feel better after reading your post. Thanks for all the info.

Mexicali is safe. I spent 3 weeks there when I got my face lift. I stayed at a friend's house who a nurse and moved there. We went all over Mexicali in her car. I really liked being there and felt perfectly safe, everywhere we went.

Edited to add - I know we pay sometimes twice as much compared to other Mexico docs but I am a firm believer you get what you pay for! I am paying twice as much bc Aceves is the most experienced doc in Mexico by far in regards to the sleeve. I'd pay three times as much for his expertise and his team's care. B)

What is the cost with your doc for band revision to sleeve? I'd certainly like to pay more for a very experienced surgeon. Good luck and please let me know the costs!

Thank you,

Sara

Today is three weeks and I haven't been able to move past stage 1 comfortably. I saw a bariatric surgeon in Tucson as a follow up and he is sending me for an upper GI to see if I have a stricture. I am really scared and frustrated. I am totally regreting my decision of this surgery the last week or so. Hopefully, once they get my sleeve figured out, I will feel better.

Sara,

I am not sure about the band revision cost of surgery. The website for Dr. Aceves is www.mexicalibariatric.com and they should have everything listed for price. You could also call or email them. Nina, who schedules all the surgeries, is wonderful and quick to get you any answers that you need.

Information that I kept says: Lap Gastric Sleeve after lap band ( includes band removal) $12,500

Hope this helps.

Thank you Alice. That does help! That's a lot more than I thought it would be for Mexico, but it sounds like his patients pay for "the best" and I keep hearing about leaks when the surgeon might not be the most experienced. I don't want leaks!! I will contact them after I read the website. Thank you for the link. I might not have been able to find it on my own....I am a computer-challenged 50something being left behind by technology with every day that passes. Thanks again, Alice! Sara