Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My son works for U.S. Customs and had a hissy fit when he heard I was going to Mexicali.

I went anyway and found it to be a nice town. It is far above Tijuna. I never felt insecure. On top of that you can choose to not be out on the streets if you are uncomfortable. You get picked up at the airport and driven to the hospital for your tests. You are then driven to your hotel which is very lovely. The next morning you are picked up again and taken to the hospital where you remain for four days until you are once again driven to the airport.

So, nothing to worry about.

I have been reading all posts since April and I have finally came across a negative comment about Dr Aceves (his location) and I wanted to get some feedback. On another board a lady said that she lives in Mexico and her husband is Mexican and he forbid her to go to a boarder town so that ruled out Aceves for her. I researched violence in Mexicali, but didn't come up with anything.

What are your thoughts? Any border crime statistics on Mexicali?

I don't know stats but I can tell you that the US gov't is warning people about specific cities and crime, Mexicali is not on that list.

Mexico

SAFETY AND SECURITY: Violence by criminal elements affects many parts of the country, urban and rural. Visitors to the U.S.-Mexico border region, including cities such as Tijuana, Ciudad Juarez, Nuevo Laredo, Nogales, Matamoros, and Monterrey should remain alert and be aware of their surroundings at all times.

Hi SkinnyMom2B! Mexico has been getting a bum wrap lately about crime. We travel to Mexico all the time. We drive from Texas to Puerto Vallarta and stop in little towns all over the country. We have NEVER had the slightest problem and we've been lost in some pretty seedy neighborhoods! It is best to be careful about your surroundings in any town whether it's Mexico or the US. The border towns I'm more cautious about are Tiajuana and Juarez. Thousands of border people travel the main roads in the day with no problem.

We walked all around the hospital in Mexicali and found it kind of sleepy...not much to do around there. If you chose Dr. Aceves, a driver picks you up at the airport and takes you to the hospital and hotel and gets you back to the airport...no muss...no fuss! You aren't in any danger safe and sound in the hospital with an IV pole...not a good candidate for abduction!

I have been reading all posts since April and I have finally came across a negative comment about Dr Aceves (his location) and I wanted to get some feedback. On another board a lady said that she lives in Mexico and her husband is Mexican and he forbid her to go to a boarder town so that ruled out Aceves for her. I researched violence in Mexicali, but didn't come up with anything.

What are your thoughts? Any border crime statistics on Mexicali?

I don't know the statistics; however, I do know that Ruthi, Bob and I went out walking around the evening before our surgeries and we walked several blocks and no one bothered us, heckled us, stared at us or anything ... we walked by a park-like area and it was very clean and did not appear to have any homeless people sleeping or milling about ... I didn't feel unsafe at all. We also walked around the hospital alot and again, never felt the least bit worried for my safety.

How about me walking around the neighborhood in my bathrobe looking to pick up a cell phone signal.

They must be used to crazy Americans in their bathrobes because nobody even gave me weird look.

How about me walking around the neighborhood in my bathrobe looking to pick up a cell phone signal.

They must be used to crazy Americans in their bathrobes because nobody even gave me weird look.

Or maybe because it's near a hospital, they're used to it as well.

that's what I meant. Since it's near the hospital, they probably do see it a lot. I even wondered if I should get dressed. I really had no reason to be in PJ's and a robe in the middle of the day. I just hadn't brought many clothes with me.

Thank you all for posting replies. It helped me to feel better about it!

I am sitting here at the Hospital waiting for my turn to be sleeved by Dr Aceves!! I came by my self and was getting kinda scared about my decision to go alone and as luck would have it JavaSteve is here with is lovely wife!! We went to dinner last night and ate Italian as our last meal. I am so thankful to have them here with me. They are awesome!

I have already been given my pills for the surgery, so it probably wont' be much longer. I'll post again soon!:thumbup:

Mommatobe,

Congrats. on getting your sleeve. I'm still waiting to get mine.

I am so glad that you met up with Jaffa Steve and wife. Keep us posted on how you are doing. I will keep you in my prayers to have an easy, pain free journey. Jaffa Steve will watch out for you. We know that you are in good hands. :thumbup: Hugs, Judy

Thank you all for posting replies. It helped me to feel better about it!

I am sitting here at the Hospital waiting for my turn to be sleeved by Dr Aceves!! I came by my self and was getting kinda scared about my decision to go alone and as luck would have it JavaSteve is here with is lovely wife!! We went to dinner last night and ate Italian as our last meal. I am so thankful to have them here with me. They are awesome!

I have already been given my pills for the surgery, so it probably wont' be much longer. I'll post again soon!:thumbup:

We're all hoping everything goes well for you. Congratulations on your new life and let us know how you are when you're able to post.

Yesterday was agood day. I felt amazingly good. Dr Campos warned me last night that I may not feel as good today an he was right. I am very sore, it is hard to take a deep breath and I am very tired. I have't had the horrible gas everyone taks about, but I have been trying to walk alot. It hurts to burp. I fly home on Wednesday which is a 7 hour flight. I sure hope I feel better by then. Let me know when I should start feeling better. nausea hits me suddenly. i ave to focus very hard to not throw up.

oops, the last post was not from Jaffa Steve, it was from skinnymommytobe. i forgot to log him off.

Yesterday was agood day. I felt amazingly good. Dr Campos warned me last night that I may not feel as good today an he was right. I am very sore, it is hard to take a deep breath and I am very tired. I have't had the horrible gas everyone taks about, but I have been trying to walk alot. It hurts to burp. I fly home on Wednesday which is a 7 hour flight. I sure hope I feel better by then. Let me know when I should start feeling better. nausea hits me suddenly. i ave to focus very hard to not throw up.

Day #2 is the worst! You'll feel better each day. Congrats on getting your surgery!

The more you walk the better you'll feel and the faster you will feel great!

oops, the last post was not from Jaffa Steve, it was from skinnymommytobe. i forgot to log him off.

HA! I did not realize you are Jaffa's wife!

oh, no, I am not Jaffa's wife. They have loaned me their computer because it doesn't work in their room. Because I had his computer, he was logged on and I accidently posted under his name. Jaffa's wife is doing very well!

Glad to hear that the 2nd day is the worst day and it gets better everyday. I am very sore. Can't hardly stand up straight. But no severe gas or naseau thank goodnes! liquids are going down very well. My taste seems to be the same.

As others have posed, they are very clean here, I took a shower with my iv still in and ended up pulling it out, they were in here within seconds cleaning up. I took another shower after I got my iv out and they were back in here again collecting the towel and my gown. My daughter was in a childrens hospital in February for 3 days and 2 nights and our towels piled up on the floor the entire time we were there and trash piled up in the trash can. Much better experience here.

oh, no, I am not Jaffa's wife. They have loaned me their computer because it doesn't work in their room. Because I had his computer, he was logged on and I accidently posted under his name. Jaffa's wife is doing very well!

Glad to hear that the 2nd day is the worst day and it gets better everyday. I am very sore. Can't hardly stand up straight. But no severe gas or naseau thank goodnes! liquids are going down very well. My taste seems to be the same.

As others have posed, they are very clean here, I took a shower with my iv still in and ended up pulling it out, they were in here within seconds cleaning up. I took another shower after I got my iv out and they were back in here again collecting the towel and my gown. My daughter was in a childrens hospital in February for 3 days and 2 nights and our towels piled up on the floor the entire time we were there and trash piled up in the trash can. Much better experience here.

Take the shots for the sickness, no need to feel miserable and fight it -- I only got sick once and after that, I asked for the shot. It must have worked, as I didn't ever feel sick again.

As for the soreness, the only place I was really sore was where the drain was and that remained sore for quite some time -- not debilating sore, but enough to let you know you'd had surgery and there was an incision there. That lasted until about a week after surgery.

Keep walking, it will get better. Take the sleeping medication at night - that will help you feel rested.