Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I like the thought of the exercise addictio/compulsion....LOL, I still like the trade off for sex too.........HMMMM what a toss up

And it is an eating disorder if we couldn't push ourselves away from the food for one reason or another.

Not if the reason is physiological IMO.

What I see is that some people are overweight mostly through being very hungry or not having a strong satiety sensor. This leads to yo-yo dieting, which leads to be being obese and (sometimes) having an unhealthy relationship with food. For these people, WLS is usually enough. They now aren't hungry all the time and they feel satisfied. They weren't truly addicted or had a compulsion triggered by emotions. So they adjust to the new reality and thrive.

Other people are in the gripe of something stronger and more mentally based. These are the people who sabotage themselves or trade one addiction for another. These are people like that gal on LBT who would binge eat until she vomited on a regular basis and finally lost her band (and then went ballistic and got banned apparently). Just putting a band around her stomach wasn't enough -- she needed to work on her head.

Of course, there is everything in between as well. But most people that I've seen adjust just fine eventually and don't develop true addictions.

I did have transfer addiction, big time. Maybe a better term is transfer compulsion. For me it was exercise. I would run until the bottoms of my feet were covered in blisters and I still go back and run again the next day.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Doing something to the point where it controls you and is destructive, not positive. That's a true addiction.

I think people, in general, through around the word "addiction" too casually. Maybe it's a sore spot for me because I have so many true addicts in my family and I've seen what harm true addiction can do. So when people talk about being "addicted" to shopping or exercise when all they really mean is "I like it a lot!", well, it bugs! :001_smile:

I exercise 7.0 hours a week and I'm working on doing it every morning and every night. But I am not addicted to exercise. It's my hobby and I have goals and I am doing what I need to to meet my goals. If I overdo it one day, I take it easy or take off the next day. If something comes up and I can't make a scheduled session -- like my son's thesis defense on Thurs. night, I'll try to make it up, but I won't go nuts to make it up and I won't sacrifice his happiness for it. So it's not an addiction, IMO.

I am sure there will be times when I have a hard time wanting food that others are eating. I have decided that I am going to keep things ready in my mind to think of that I am happy with since getting the sleeve to remind me that tons food is not such a big loss. I believe that will refocus me and make me grateful not to be eating like everyone else. I too am looking forward to having an even better sex life, who wouldn't!?!

As for shopping, well, I am already pretty much already a shop-aholic...I am constantly buying things, so I have no doubts that will get worse. I am just going to try and wait to go crazy until I have reached my goal weight. Until then I will have a set amount that I can spend each time I move down a size, so that I don't overbuy what I will just be getting rid of in a month or so.

If you are really worried about it affecting you negatively then maybe you should step back, until you feel better about it. Being thin will not replace anything bad you may be feeling about yourself. If you don't like yourself now, you won't then, even if you like your body more. I assume since you have issues with depression that you are seeing a therapist, I would advise you to talk to him/her about it and see what he has to say.

Best of luck with everything!

I feel with all my heart that this step will help me. I know I have to deal with my own self image issues and no matter what size I am, my self hate will always be there. I hope that walking into to this surgery, knowing that it is not going to automatically make me happy forever, that I will be able to focus on the issues deeper than just all my outer fat. But I think a good start will come from the help that the sleeve will give me to lose weight. Hopefully, I'll feel better and better about myself, and that will give me strength to fight my depression.

Not if the reason is physiological IMO.

But by calling it an addiction you are implying a host of symptoms that do not exist.

What I see is that some people are overweight mostly through being very hungry or not having a strong satiety sensor. This leads to yo-yo dieting, which leads to be being obese and (sometimes) having an unhealthy relationship with food. For these people, WLS is usually enough. They now aren't hungry all the time and they feel satisfied. They weren't truly addicted or had a compulsion triggered by emotions. So they adjust to the new reality and thrive.

We disagree. Ever hear of head hunger? ;o)

We tend to eat until we are stuffed full. Naturally thin people eat until they are no longer hungry. BIG mega difference.

Of course, there is everything in between as well. But most people that I've seen adjust just fine eventually and don't develop true addictions.

Agreed, they develop true transfer compulsions.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Doing something to the point where it controls you and is destructive, not positive. That's a true addiction.

That is also true compulsion. The difference needs to be made because an addiction is not treatable, a compulsion is. Addiction means white knuckling it, compulsion means treating it.

So it's not an addiction, IMO.

Your opinion, treatments prove you wrong. ;o)

Edited by WASaBubbleButt

But by calling it an addiction you are implying a host of symptoms that do not exist.

But I'm not calling it an addiction. That was my point. Not everyone who over eats is addicted to food.

Ever hear of head hunger? ;o)

I don't think it's the same thing. Also, as one of those people not particularly addicted to food, I never got much of it and I still don't. Sometimes I look at trigger foods and think "I want that" but then I turn away and forget all about it.

Your opinion, treatments prove you wrong. ;o)

I don't intend to get treated for my hobby of doing triathlons. ;-)

For me, head hunger is real. If I want something, I keep thinking about it. I was in the staff lounge in one of the ICUs at work 3 nights ago with two naturally thin RNs. Sitting on the table was 3 boxes of donuts (a GIFT from a family member). I chatted with them sipping coffee as they ate their dinner (brought from home). When they were done, they looked over the contents of all 3 boxes. Each decided on a favorite and cut the one selected in half!

I asked how they determined they would have half and the one answered, "I really want several and if I don't have THIS and deprive myself, I WILL have several later on". Well, I wanted several also. So, I took a knife and cut off a tablespoon size piece of my favorite one. She was right, I continued on with the shift and never thought about those damn donuts again.

I'm going to have to learn more skinny people secrets. LOL.

For me, head hunger is real. If I want something, I keep thinking about it. I was in the staff lounge in one of the ICUs at work 3 nights ago with two naturally thin RNs. Sitting on the table was 3 boxes of donuts (a GIFT from a family member). I chatted with them sipping coffee as they ate their dinner (brought from home). When they were done, they looked over the contents of all 3 boxes. Each decided on a favorite and cut the one selected in half!

I asked how they determined they would have half and the one answered, "I really want several and if I don't have THIS and deprive myself, I WILL have several later on". Well, I wanted several also. So, I took a knife and cut off a tablespoon size piece of my favorite one. She was right, I continued on with the shift and never thought about those damn donuts again.

I'm going to have to learn more skinny people secrets. LOL.

I have found that to be true with me, as well. Right after my divorce when I lost 80 lbs (more if you include the weight of my ex-husband :001_smile:) I didn't deprive myself of anything ... I just ate way less ... instead of a pint (or quart) of ice cream, I'd have a small scoop in a custard dish, instead of a full-sized candy bar, I bought those miniature ones, and would have one of those ... I was also working out at the gym 7 days a week. I have also found that if I tell myself I CAN'T have something, that is ALL I can think about and 'crave'.

We will all have to learn and share more skinny peopole secrets!

But I'm not calling it an addiction. That was my point. Not everyone who over eats is addicted to food.

I don't think it's the same thing. Also, as one of those people not particularly addicted to food, I never got much of it and I still don't. Sometimes I look at trigger foods and think "I want that" but then I turn away and forget all about it.

I don't intend to get treated for my hobby of doing triathlons. ;-)

You are responding to issues I was not addressing. Again. ;o))))))

I am scheduled for July 10th, and I too, am a bit worried about replacing my "food compulsion" with something more healthful. To help pay for the surgery I sold my ceramic kiln and potters wheel, so I can't fall back on that hobby right away. I have been such a couch potato lately, that I have a fear of exercising. I am a passionate scuba diver and my last trip (which was last week by the way) just reminded me how out of shape I am. My son had to carry my tank and help me out of the Water with every dive. I was devastated. I really want to get up and move, but my mind keeps saying "when you lose some weight, then you will feel up to excercising." Its all backwards. I don't fear the post-op diet...I'm prepared for that. I just hope I can get myself off the couch!

Speaking of addictions: I have been so very used to logging into lapbandtalk that I still go over there first...am having to get used to coming here now. Well, here I am, and I find Wasa and Mac debating fine points....and I think, this is a good site, the gangs all here! Feels like old home week.

You are responding to issues I was not addressing. Again. ;o))))))

Well I didn't address the "compulsion" vs. "addiction" thing because I don't think it matters what you call it. Either way, tons of obese people haven't got mental issues as their primary motivation for why they are obese. If you cure the physiological imbalances, then the over-eating goes away.

I think it's a chicken and egg thing. The obesity and underlying physiological conditions that cause it also cause the compulsive and/or addictive behavior. If the person wasn't obese, they wouldn't have that behavior. The behavior doesn't cause the obesity.

Or, as my surgeon says to his pre-ops, "I'm not worried that I'm going to perform WLS on you and you'll turn into a drug addict or alcoholic." Yes, it happens, just like other complications happen, but it's not the norm, just as having complications is not the norm.

But for the last one, I said that my triathlon training isn't an addiction but a hobby and your response was something about how "treatment proves me wrong" which ... um, makes no sense. :001_tongue: I think you must have misread that part.

How is that going? You said you dusted the treadmill off, lol

I am way too cheap to let shopping become an addiction. Plus I don't even like to shop.

I am glad in a way I was banded before the sleeve. I already have all the clothes I want.

My addiction is the net. I can't wait for our chat room to open. I have made friends in the LBT chat room, but it gets annoying when they think I am band bashing when I say I didn't like the band anymore. I am so glad we got this board going. It's really hard to be happy for someone waiting to get the band and they get "their date" I always want to ask them if they have ever even considered the sleeve, but I have to bite my tongue.

I wish someone would have asked me if I had considered the sleeve or I may have done more research into it

Go over to the Lap Band board and dare to mention the sleeve. If you post the stats and long term complications... just the facts, mind you - you are told that you are a band basher and band hater.

I think a lot of noobs only research the good about the band because they so much want the least invasive procedure and they con themselves into thinking it will work. When you post the facts it scares them. My opinion only. The vets with problems (especially self pay folks) are kicking themselves for not getting a sleeve and sometimes they get pretty defensive.

At first I went through the "kicking myself stage" for not getting sleeved to begin with but I quickly got over it. There were no long term stats on the sleeve and we had no way to really research it just 2.5 years ago. That isn't true today but it was then.

Today there is no excuse for not researching. All you have to do is put WLS in Google and you get a wealth of information on all surgery types. But people are convinced "least invasive" is safer long term than more invasive.

Even today there are people who aren't comfortable with the lack of long-term stats on the sleeve. I can respect that. I can't really respect the people who just get whatever procedure their friend had that did well with it or choose a band or RnY for some other lame reason that isn't even true. :001_tongue: