Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've only had my surgery shy of 2 months ago so I'm still dealing with my food addiction and will be for quite some time as I have a lot of weight to lose. I did read that many successful weight loss people develop substitution addictions.

I can easily see myself having to resist becoming a shop-a-holic and will probably have to use a lot of restraint to stop myself from buying too much. Wearing cute clothes in small sizes is something I always wanted to do but never could.

Has anyone suffered from this? Anyone worried about it?

I've only had my surgery shy of 2 months ago so I'm still dealing with my food addiction and will be for quite some time as I have a lot of weight to lose. I did read that many successful weight loss people develop substitution addictions.

I can easily see myself having to resist becoming a shop-a-holic and will probably have to use a lot of restraint to stop myself from buying too much. Wearing cute clothes in small sizes is something I always wanted to do but never could.

Has anyone suffered from this? Anyone worried about it?

I've thought about that too ... in fact, I've already told my DF that he better start saving $$$ to help me with a new wardrobe ... I've found that being on this forum has become my new addiction ... and I don't find that a bad thing ... it keeps my hands busy and keeps me out of the kitchen -- not that I could find anything bad to eat in there anyway ... it's pretty sterile.

I'm with VA on the board addiction. :juggle:

Shopping for clothes is ever so much more fun when things look nice on you. I'm the queen of bargain shoppers though and get the same stuff when it is marked down. The other benefit is we will be able to shop places like Steinmart and Marshalls where all the good stuff was always in the small sizes.

I'm not young and like to dress age appropriate and so have shopped a lot in Coldwater Creek and Chicos. They both have good websites with discounts. Coldwater sometimes practically gives stuff away the prices are so low and the quality is good. So I'm on their mailing list. I usually even wait until the markdowns get marked down. Sometimes you lose but most times you win.

This has been a worry of mine big time too.I'm not sleeved yet, but am scheduled for August 7. For me, like many, food is my comfort; I eat when I'm sad, mad, stressed, bored, yada yada yada. My emotions will never go away, so how will I cope when I want to eat, but can't. I already have mental issues like depression and bipolar disorder. I fear I will be miserable.

I'm hoping I'll be so happy from losing weight, I'll be able to manage; but there will always be the times I want my big plate of Mexican food, or a bunch of donuts. And not being able to drink with my meals sounds hard; I love a nice swig of something with a meal.

As for replacing this issue with shopping, I already have a master closet of clothes from when I was thinner. And, since I'm a self pay, money will be tight from now on for me. I'll be paying credit card bills forever.

These are the things I want to replace with food: gardening and home improvement, practicing the piano again, mosaic crafts, walking my dogs- I used to love my evening walks- it was a spiritual thing for me. And forgive me for talking naughty, but sex. I want to be in better health so I can be spry in bed for my hubby.

I am worried. Anyone have some feedback?

I am sure there will be times when I have a hard time wanting food that others are eating. I have decided that I am going to keep things ready in my mind to think of that I am happy with since getting the sleeve to remind me that tons food is not such a big loss. I believe that will refocus me and make me grateful not to be eating like everyone else. I too am looking forward to having an even better sex life, who wouldn't!?!

As for shopping, well, I am already pretty much already a shop-aholic...I am constantly buying things, so I have no doubts that will get worse. I am just going to try and wait to go crazy until I have reached my goal weight. Until then I will have a set amount that I can spend each time I move down a size, so that I don't overbuy what I will just be getting rid of in a month or so.

If you are really worried about it affecting you negatively then maybe you should step back, until you feel better about it. Being thin will not replace anything bad you may be feeling about yourself. If you don't like yourself now, you won't then, even if you like your body more. I assume since you have issues with depression that you are seeing a therapist, I would advise you to talk to him/her about it and see what he has to say.

Best of luck with everything!

This has been a worry of mine big time too.I'm not sleeved yet, but am scheduled for August 7. For me, like many, food is my comfort; I eat when I'm sad, mad, stressed, bored, yada yada yada. My emotions will never go away, so how will I cope when I want to eat, but can't. I already have mental issues like depression and bipolar disorder. I fear I will be miserable. Make sure you stay on your medications for both and when you have a need to do some emotional eating, go for a walk instead -- get out of the house where the food is. I've also heard brushing your teeth helps to curb the desire to eat -- never worked for me personally. WALK WALK WALK -- it will serve 2 purposes ... you're exercising and you're out of the house and won't eat.

I'm hoping I'll be so happy from losing weight, I'll be able to manage; but there will always be the times I want my big plate of Mexican food, or a bunch of donuts. And not being able to drink with my meals sounds hard; I love a nice swig of something with a meal. You will be able to eat Mexican food and maybe one donut hole ... the thing I understand about the sleeve is that you can eat whatever you want ... just so much less ... and, obviously, you should eat healthier; however, I am sure everyone has an urge for a favorite they satisfy now and again -- just on a much smaller portion.

As for replacing this issue with shopping, I already have a master closet of clothes from when I was thinner. And, since I'm a self pay, money will be tight from now on for me. I'll be paying credit card bills forever. Pick out one of your favorite "thin" outfits and hang it where you can see it everyday ... that will help you stay focused and remind you why you went through the surgery.

These are the things I want to replace with food: gardening and home improvement, practicing the piano again, mosaic crafts, walking my dogs- I used to love my evening walks- it was a spiritual thing for me. And forgive me for talking naughty, but sex. I want to be in better health so I can be spry in bed for my hubby. Nothing naughty about sex... I know I intend to have more of it as I become thinner. Hey - see - another option for you -- when you feel the need to emotionally eat ... drag your husband to the bedroom, or couch or kitchen table ... and have sex ... bet you'll not look at the kitchen table the same again ... (Sorry, couldn't resist)!

I am worried. Anyone have some feedback?

I think the fact that you have ideas on what to replace our food desire with is a positive thing. I've always been told not to "borrow trouble" and not to put negative thoughts out - only positive - positive out, positive back. So think positive of all your options and how good it's going to be to get back into all those clothes ... I know I am excited to be able to shop at all the "fun" stores and not those for BBW!

I love the idea of making of list of "thing I want to do" and gardening is something I love. I'll be having two total knee replacements in a few months and really feel I'll have my life back once the rehab is over.

I also think making long and short term goals with rewards is important. We're working to be healthy and rewarding milestones is a good thing. When I get out of the 200's, I am definitely going to take a weekend trip.

I think the fact that you have ideas on what to replace our food desire with is a positive thing. I've always been told not to "borrow trouble" and not to put negative thoughts out - only positive - positive out, positive back. So think positive of all your options and how good it's going to be to get back into all those clothes ... I know I am excited to be able to shop at all the "fun" stores and not those for BBW!

:laugh: Thank you so much for your input. I am so thankful to have support from all you fine people! God Bless.

I love the idea of making of list of "thing I want to do" and gardening is something I love. I'll be having two total knee replacements in a few months and really feel I'll have my life back once the rehab is over.

I also think making long and short term goals with rewards is important. We're working to be healthy and rewarding milestones is a good thing. When I get out of the 200's, I am definitely going to take a weekend trip.

I agree with you about getting out of the 200s. I remeber thinking to myself a long time ago when I was 190 or so how I was sooooo fat. And now i am 270 and would do anything to be 190 again. The day I get out of the 200s I am going to celebrate! :laugh:

Rose

I like the sex idea myself,, wonder if I can remember how to do it? Maybe I will have more offers when I am thinner or should I say better offers. I will keep the batteries charged for the time being.

I think the incidence of transfer addiction is actually pretty small. Most people who suffer from it were truly addicted to food in a way that was more of an eating disorder than what most of us experience.

I don't think buying a lot of clothes when you need a new wardrobe counts either. :eek: I think you'd have to do something like buy 7 purses all almost identical that you couldn't afford because you couldn't help yourself. (And there are people who shop like that.)

It's the lack of control to the point of destructive behavior that makes it an addiction.

Edited by MacMadame

I think the incidence of transfer addiction is actually pretty small. Most people who suffer from it were truly addicted to food in a way that was more of an eating disorder than what most of us experience.

I don't think buying a lot of clothes when you need a new wardrobe counts either. :eek: I think you'd have to do something like buy 7 purses all almost identical that you couldn't afford because you couldn't help yourself. (And there are people who shop like that.)

It's the lack of control to the point of destructive behavior that makes it an addiction.

I still don't see it as an addiction, I see it as a compulsion. And it is an eating disorder if we couldn't push ourselves away from the food for one reason or another.

With addictions you go through withdrawal, with compulsions you can't stop thinking about something.

I did have transfer addiction, big time. Maybe a better term is transfer compulsion. For me it was exercise. I would run until the bottoms of my feet were covered in blisters and I still go back and run again the next day.