Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my Lap Band out! Yahoo!

Hi!

I had my lap band removed on Monday Sept 16th and it is now Wed morning.

I had immediate relief from the symptoms I was experiencing in my throat (like a tennis ball was stuck in there).

The surgery was easy! I was given an anti-inflammatory and nausea meds in my IV, but didn't need pain meds for several hours.

I felt good enough after surgery to go home, but spent the night because the hospital and my surgeon are an hour away from home. I wanted to stay close by in case any problem came up.

I was on Clear Liquids from the time of surgery until I went home. Now I can eat soft foods for 1 to 2 weeks and progress as I feel is right. My surgeon wants me to walk 5 times a day.

Tylenol is taking care of the discomfort. I took some percosett before bed time last night.

My surgeon said the only "damage" he saw was the thickening around my stomach where the lap band had been, which was expected. He said it will be 6 months before we know how the scar tissue will affect me, if at all. He said there is every reason to think I'll feel great! But he did warn me that I could have a different set of "symptoms".

The surgery took about an hour and then he also did an upper endoscopy while he was there to have a thorough look at everything.

It's amazing how good I feel!! The only time I feel something is when I get up out of bed, or out of a chair...and then I feel kind of punched in the stomach. But already that discomfort is lessening!

I'm up 2 pounds, which I figure is swelling.

I'll check in from time to time and am open to questions if anyone is considering having their band out and would like to know more details of my own land band removal experience.

Thank you everyone for being supportive of me and my decision to give up the band!

~hiddn

Hi!

I had my lap band removed on Monday Sept 16th and it is now Wed morning.

I had immediate relief from the symptoms I was experiencing in my throat (like a tennis ball was stuck in there).

The surgery was easy! I was given an anti-inflammatory and nausea meds in my IV, but didn't need pain meds for several hours.

I felt good enough after surgery to go home, but spent the night because the hospital and my surgeon are an hour away from home. I wanted to stay close by in case any problem came up.

I was on clear liquids from the time of surgery until I went home. Now I can eat soft foods for 1 to 2 weeks and progress as I feel is right. My surgeon wants me to walk 5 times a day.

Tylenol is taking care of the discomfort. I took some percosett before bed time last night.

My surgeon said the only "damage" he saw was the thickening around my stomach where the lap band had been, which was expected. He said it will be 6 months before we know how the scar tissue will affect me, if at all. He said there is every reason to think I'll feel great! But he did warn me that I could have a different set of "symptoms".

The surgery took about an hour and then he also did an upper endoscopy while he was there to have a thorough look at everything.

It's amazing how good I feel!! The only time I feel something is when I get up out of bed, or out of a chair...and then I feel kind of punched in the stomach. But already that discomfort is lessening!

I'm up 2 pounds, which I figure is swelling.

I'll check in from time to time and am open to questions if anyone is considering having their band out and would like to know more details of my own land band removal experience.

Thank you everyone for being supportive of me and my decision to give up the band!

~hiddn

Glad to hear you are feeling better! Band issues can feel horrible when they happen.

I had a hernia repaired last year, old 4cc band removed, and new AP band put in all in one surgery. But I did not have slippage or horrible complications, just some discomfort of back pain where the hiatal hernia was pushing up against my esophagus, but I never had any vomiting or eating issues with my old band and I feel like a new woman with my new band...NO reflux or vomiting -- or back pain, yet with this new AP band and I am close to one year with the new band.

I had scar tissue too, we all develop it after any surgery and the band creates a little more, my surgeon had to dig out lots of scar tissue and adhesions before replacing my new band...it took about 3 hours for him to remove my old band and my repair hernia, and place the new AP band system...and honestly I had no pain and my recovery was a lot better than my original first band...I guess it all depends on the skill of the surgeon...

Congrats on having your band out. Kicking myself that I didn't do the same. Question for NaNa - what's an AP band?

glad you are on the mend.

best of luck to you now and always

Thank you! Today I was pretty sore, but got all my walks in. My body is starting to move things on thru again. Im so grateful to have the throat symptoms gone!

~hiddn

Glad to hear you are feeling better! Band issues can feel horrible when they happen.

I had a hernia repaired last year, old 4cc band removed, and new AP band put in all in one surgery. But I did not have slippage or horrible complications, just some discomfort of back pain where the hiatal hernia was pushing up against my esophagus, but I never had any vomiting or eating issues with my old band and I feel like a new woman with my new band...NO reflux or vomiting -- or back pain, yet with this new AP band and I am close to one year with the new band.

I had scar tissue too, we all develop it after any surgery and the band creates a little more, my surgeon had to dig out lots of scar tissue and adhesions before replacing my new band...it took about 3 hours for him to remove my old band and my repair hernia, and place the new AP band system...and honestly I had no pain and my recovery was a lot better than my original first band...I guess it all depends on the skill of the surgeon...

HI!

Isnt it amazing to have major surgery and such little pain? My recovery is so much better this time. Im walking 5 times a day (for about 10 minutes each time so far), per instructions from my surgeon.

Im glad you are feeling good and the decision you made for yourself has worked out!

We all know our own bodies and can get a sense of what will work and what won't.

I'm glad to have the Lap Band out. I love that it helped me lose a lot of weight and I love that I could have it taken out when it no longer served me.

Thanks for writing! Keep up the great progress!!

~hiddn

Congrats on having your band out. Kicking myself that I didn't do the same. Question for NaNa - what's an AP band?

Thank you!

Did you have some complications?

How are you doing, now?

~hiddn

It's been 6 days since I had my lap band removed. I feel a lot better, though sore. The soreness feels like it might feel the day after I've done 100 sit-ups. I had some pain when I sneezed a few times.

I'm still eating soft foods. A lot of scrambled eggs. I'm eating easy to digest mushy rice with mush vegetables. Tapioca pudding has been a real treat.

I've been taking 5 10-minute walks each day.

All in all, it's been an easy recovery.

I don't regret having the band implanted and I don't regret having it taken out.

I'll be on soft foods another week or so (maybe less) and then I'll start a mix of the Mediterranean Diet and Ketogenic Diet.

Thats my update!

~hiddn

Had about a month with no issues, then one dinner at friend's with a semi-dry roast, and it's been downhill ever since. Basically back to where I was before the latest surgery.

Did your dr happen to mention what the diff type of symptoms are rooms scar tissue? I am going to the dr tomorrow to discuss lap and removal. Trying to gain understanding on what to expect. Thank you.

Going to have my band removed and have the sleeve. I've been pretty sick so my Dr. emptied

my band completely. Now I can't eat anything...only drink. Even then I become congested after I

eat liquids. Anyone have any idea why? Thanks for your help.

Going to have my band removed and have the sleeve. I've been pretty sick so my Dr. emptied

my band completely. Now I can't eat anything...only drink. Even then I become congested after I

eat liquids. Anyone have any idea why? Thanks for your help.

No, Im sorry I don't have an idea why you'd become congested like that. Have you tried drinking them at room temp? And does it make a difference? I hope your doctor can figure it out soon!

~hiddn

Did your dr happen to mention what the diff type of symptoms are rooms scar tissue? I am going to the dr tomorrow to discuss lap and removal. Trying to gain understanding on what to expect. Thank you.

HI! Did you decide about your lap band?

My doctor did not mention the symptoms of scar tissue. He just said we won't know for 6 months what we really have here. That will be March for me.

~hiddn