Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery after band removal

Had my Realize band placed in Aug 2008 w/o complications. Earlier this year' date=' food began to get stuck very regularly, no matter what size, even yogurt/applesauce etc. I thought perhaps there was some slippage so the Dr. ordered a UGI which unfortunately showed that the band had eroded. That was probably back in April/May. I was referred to another Bariatric surgeon who took a look and suggested that since I had no other symptoms or pain, we wait and let the band erode more into my stomach. The thought behind this was that it would enable him to remove it endoscopically. So, after a few more UGIs, surgery was scheduled for 23 Aug 2013. It was explained that he would start with the hopes of cutting it and removing it with the endoscope but would possibly have to to an endoscopic/laproscopic combination and worse case scenario, open surgery. Long story short, it ended up being removed endoscopic/laproscopically (due to the amount of scar tissue around the band) and a small incision was made to remove the port. Other than being quite groggy...felt pretty good after surgery w/ hopes of having a one night hospital stay. The next morning, I developed a fever which shot up and could not be controlled. After a series of blood tests, a chest x-ray, urinalysis and a UGI, it was determined that I had the beginnings sepsis. I was given several bags of IV antibiotics (I'm quite sure there was enough to completely wipe out all of the bacteria in a 3rd world country). I was released after a few days and my temp had stabalized. Now on my last week of heavy duty oral antibiotics and finally starting to feel a bit more alive.[/quote']

Oh my gosh! Sorry you had to go through all of that! I can't believe the surgeon waited that long to take it out. Mine was removed laparoscopically it was easier than when he put it. My surgeon didn't even talk about different ways to take it out. My band was fine, no erosion or slippage, it was causing me to have esophageal spasms. I had some scar tissue, but not too much. He said some people start having spasms because of the band, kind like my body was not accepting it anymore.

My surgery was on Aug 26th, my appetite hasn't come back really strong yet, kinda hoping it doesn't. I know, "careful what you wish for" hoping and praying I don't gain back the weight I lost. The band worked well for me for about 2 yrs.

HI

How soon after surgery were you awake enough to have visitors in the hospital?

Im having my band out on Sept 16th at 1:30pm and a friend would like to stop by to see me later in the afternoon.

Were you awake and aware enough to be sitting up in bed?

My surgery is an hour from where I live, so it's especially nice that a friend would like to come by---but if Im likely to just be sleeping, I don't want him to waste a trip!

Katt --- wow, was sepsis already happening before surgery? Or did it get stirred up as a result? Im sorry I am ignorant about that kind of thing. Sounds very serious and scary. Im glad they figured out what was going on, quickly, and got you treated. Lucky you were still in the hospital.

I'm wondering what's going on with me right now. I'm feeling worse than ever, though over the last 2 years there have been times of having no symptoms for a few hours and sometimes a few days! Right now, I feel like waiting another 11 days to get the band out is forever.

Ellie = it sounds like you're doing pretty well! Are you back at work? If so, how is that going? Are you still sore?

How is your port area??

Im glad we can be here for each other.

~hiddn

HI

Im having my band out on Sept 16th at 1:30pm and a friend would like to stop by to see me later in the afternoon.

My surgery is an hour from where I live' date=' so it's especially nice that a friend would like to come by---but if Im likely to just be sleeping, I don't want him to waste a trip!

Katt --- wow, was sepsis already happening before surgery? Or did it get stirred up as a result? Im sorry I am ignorant about that kind of thing. Sounds very serious and scary. Im glad they figured out what was going on, quickly, and got you treated. Lucky you were still in the hospital.

I'm wondering what's going on with me right now. I'm feeling worse than ever, though over the last 2 years there have been times of having no symptoms for a few hours and sometimes a few days! Right now, I feel like waiting another 11 days to get the band out is forever.

Ellie = it sounds like you're doing pretty well! Are you back at work? If so, how is that going? Are you still sore?

How is your port area??

~hiddn[/quote']

My surgery was at 7:30 in the morning, I don't remember what time it was when I got into my room but I was pretty alert and sitting up then.

Yes, I'm back at work. I stayed out a week. Doing well, still a little sore but thank The Lord I can eat!

My surgery was at 7:30 in the morning, I don't remember what time it was when I got into my room but I was pretty alert and sitting up then.

Yes, I'm back at work. I stayed out a week. Doing well, still a little sore but thank The Lord I can eat!

Thank you! Thats good to hear. I hope I will be alert and sitting up when I get back to my room, too.

Im glad you can eat comfortably, now! I have no problem eating, but I will be happy if I can work all day without having to lay down during all my breaks.

Im starting to get nervous about surgery. It's a week from Monday.

Glad to hear you are back at work after 1 week. Im approved to take 2.5 weeks off. I see my surgeon the day before I go back to work.

Did I already ask you this: did you have staples? or did they use glue? My surgeon didn't mention what he likes to use. My old surgeon used staples and I had to go in to have them removed...but no one has mentioned an appointment other than the one just before I go back to work.

Keep on plugging!!! Sounds like you are doing great!

~hiddn

Thank you! Thats good to hear. I hope I will be alert and sitting up when I get back to my room' date=' too.

Im glad you can eat comfortably, now! I have no problem eating, but I will be happy if I can work all day without having to lay down during all my breaks.

Im starting to get nervous about surgery. It's a week from Monday.

Glad to hear you are back at work after 1 week. Im approved to take 2.5 weeks off. I see my surgeon the day before I go back to work.

Did I already ask you this: did you have staples? or did they use glue? My surgeon didn't mention what he likes to use. My old surgeon used staples and I had to go in to have them removed...but no one has mentioned an appointment other than the one just before I go back to work.

Keep on plugging!!! Sounds like you are doing great!

~hiddn[/quote']

I have stitches that dissolve, I think, just like they used with the first surgery. Best of luck.

HI

My surgery is an hour from where I live, so it's especially nice that a friend would like to come by---but if Im likely to just be sleeping, I don't want him to waste a trip!

How is your port area??

~hiddn

I went to recovery for 30 minutes after surgery....my mom was in my room as I was waking from the anesthesia. The sepsis was a result of the surgery, from what I understand, it happens to a small percent of people (this has just been a murphy's law kind of year for me). Recovering well though. Went in today for a check up and everything is healing properly and tomorrow is the last day of antiobiotics, YAY!!. Appetite isn't really back (hopefully it stays away for awhile) but I am able to eat now without anything getting stuck. Oh and I got super glued...lol...no staples or stitches. Hope all goes well for you, and try not to be too nervous. Every case is different, but I'm sure you will be fine! Keep us posted.

I currently have no fill in my band and it still shuts off and I can't eat or drink!

I've been going through this since I got my band. I can't tolerate any fill at all and even empty my band tends to tighten up so much that I can't even get liquids down for days at a time. I have a neuro disorder that flares up if I'm not properly hydrated so this has been a nightmare only 8 months post band. All my tests come back normal -- no slip, no erosion, swallowing looks fine, but doc still put me on levsin for esophageal spasms as a last ditch effort before it comes out. I'm on liquids now and in queue for removal surgery in the next few weeks.

I've been going through this since I got my band. I can't tolerate any fill at all and even empty my band tends to tighten up so much that I can't even get liquids down for days at a time. I have a neuro disorder that flares up if I'm not properly hydrated so this has been a nightmare only 8 months post band. All my tests come back normal -- no slip' date=' no erosion, swallowing looks fine, but doc still put me on levsin for esophageal spasms as a last ditch effort before it comes out. I'm on liquids now and in queue for removal surgery in the next few weeks.[/quote']

Gosh so sorry you're going through this......I was the same way, I don't know if I have the same disorder or not, but when it was happening to me I felt dehydrated. I had my band removed on Aug 26 and I feel so much better. Good luck.

Hi Ellie May!

It's been a few weeks since you had your band out. How are you feeling?

~hiddn