Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to have my band removed :(

I just learned today from my doc that my band needs to be removed.....I've been having problems for months now. I go through spells of not being able to eat solid food and barely being able to drink! Five times I've been on Prednisone and it helps, but I don't like taking that stuff! Under the flouro my band looks pretty good, a little tilted and rotated, they said it wasn't bad. But, there's definitely something wrong. I'll be glad to get some relieve from this, but then again I so afraid of gaining back those 60 lbs. I lost. Is it possible to keep the weight off? I'm loving wearing my size 12's.

That is so sad to hear. I know if I lost my band I would immediately look at either replacing it or switching to another WLS surgery. I would do willing to go to great lengths to make sure I won't gain the weight back and I know I can't do it without some kind of WLS tool. Good luck. I know it's not going to be an easy road.

I lost my band for the same reasons two years ago. The band looked fine but I couldn't keep even Water down. I went two years without the band and started to gain back. I was re-banded in December. I couldn't do it without my band

Thanks guys for the thoughts. With all the trouble I've had I can't imagine right now getting another band. Right now I just want it out. I meet with the surgeon on Wednesday. I don't about the sleeve, I'm so close to goal weight I don't think my insurance would cover it. But I'll see what the doc says. I've learned a lot of new habits of eating and exercise I hope I can continue with....

So sorry to hear about your band... Maybe you have learned enough good habits and can maintain your loss... I will be praying for a good outcome for you..

I lost my band for the same reasons two years ago. The band looked fine but I couldn't keep even Water down. I went two years without the band and started to gain back. I was re-banded in December. I couldn't do it without my band

Did they say what went wrong with your band?

So sorry to hear about your band... Maybe you have learned enough good habits and can maintain your loss... I will be praying for a good outcome for you..

Thank you so much

Nope. The surgeon who removed it didn't see anything wrong. But it was the old 4cc band. They had a lot of issues. My new 11cc band is much better

ElieMayClem and lisabenband Sorry that you went through band removal just an FYI the studies show that Rebanding has a High secondary failure rate. Probably the reason people that can get a revision to another form of WLS do, instead of getting re-banded. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17593435

well, best of luck with the new bands

just do the best you can and remain positive..it helps :)

ElieMayClem and lisabenband Sorry that you went through band removal just an FYI the studies show that Rebanding has a High secondary failure rate. Probably the reason people that can get a revision to another form of WLS do, instead of getting re-banded. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17593435

Sorry but that study is from 2008. Very outdated information.

Your Correct!! as Usual.. but then Since they only started to do bands in the US in 2001 the studies are limited. and since they do have to remove bands, because "people don't follow the rules" just quoting here NOT MY OPINION. Some people choose to Revise instead of getting another band. And since the study says that

High secondary failure rate of rebanding after failed gastric banding. This must have been only the 4cc type and we all know that those have higher complications, funny those complications are the SAME as all the rest of bands ;) But If you have a study that differentiates the 4c band complications from the "newer" less invasive band complications I'd love to read that Thanks :rolleyes:

I would also be looking for a revision. Even at 4 years out I know I cannot do this on my own.

My doctor tried to talk me into the sleeve but I wanted to get another Lapband. I most definitely learned from my mistakes. I lost 100lbs with my first Lapband and have kept it off since 2008. I even kept it off without the Lapband for two years. Now I am working on taking the last 25lbs off. I can see the differences between my old 4cc band and the new 11cc band. I'm not on worried about losing this one. I learned from my mistakes and did NOT want to lose half my stomach with a sleeve to just lose 25lbs. The band worked for me and continues to work for me.