Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fish ideas for a non fish eater?

I am looking for some good idea in terms of types of fish as well as recipes. I am not a fish Water but I think I want to try some to see if my palette has changed - maybe I will like it now. Any non super-fishy fish?

Same with me! My family eats it quite often but I have never been very fond. My mum likes to bake her fish in the over with some spray butter and spices. Sometimes just with salt and pepper. Usually wrapped in foil.. This may not be of any help to you haha, but I say go for it! You never know, it may be delicious. :)

go to emilybites.com or some of the southbeach diet sites.. they have good fish recipes.. Talapia is a good white fish with very little fishy smell or taste.. it can be baked with butter spray or a little olive oil.. grouper is also very good ... once you eat well cooked fish you will learn to like it .. it's a great source of protein...

You guys are awesome!! I need to try these and learn to love fish. I want to like it. I also tried to like cottage cheese but that is still a no go.. :)

I've recently been eating more fish lately and let me tell you a piece of advice I learned the hard way, DO NOT SUBSTITUTE! Lol. If a recipe calls for one type of fish then use that fish. For example, I tried using haddock in place of halibut in a dish and it did NOT turn out well. Some fishes lend themselves to being fried like cod, haddock, perch. Others are better with just a light sauce on them like halibut or salmon. I get a lot of recipes online from allrecipes.com.

Ok, noted! Is halibut "fishy"? You guys are going to think I'm insane but I remember being a little girl eating fish sticks and there being a little bone in it. It freaked me out so much that I have been turned off (25 years later!). I have tried salmon and never liked it. However, I vacation in Aruba every year and everyone is ordering this amazingly fresh fish and I always want to like it.

I learned to love salmon, thinking it was swordfish. I now eat salmon a lot. I usually use an Asian marinade like sesame ginger and add sesame seeds and put some oil in a hot pan and brown it on all sides. I love this. I don't eat any white fishes because to me they are fishy. I love shrimp and crab meat. Today lobster killed me, stuck real bad. I am from Boston and we are fish eaters here. I grew up having some kind of fish at least once a week.

Good luck finding your fish.

I eat fish probably 10 times a week. My favorite Protein by far.

Swai, Halibut, Grouper, plain old COD, all are very mild fish IMO...Baked, blackened, even fried every once in a while.

If you're out, and have a Long John Silvers in your area, they have a "Hold the Batter" plate with three small pieces of "steamed" cod. VERY mild, VERY good! You can get it with healthy sides...think green Beans, maybe a side salad/slaw, etc for a great choice of a "fast food" meal.

I make the same thing at home often. EASY to do...take a couple of pieces of cod loin, cut into about 3" square pieces. Put it in a skillet that has a tight fitting lid. Add about a half of cup of Water, bring temp up untill it steams. 9 minutes later....AWESOME! Add seasoning to your liking.

For a change, a GOOD cut of tuna loin, grilled for a couple of minutes on each side (don't over cook it), can taste like beef. I've actually made it and had people swear they were eating beef

I second Swai fish, it's white and does not smell or taste fishy at all and it's cheap too! I like to bread mine, bake it, and dip it in tarter sauce.

My hubs is like this. He will not eat fish if it smells or taste fishy. So that means no salmon or tuna. White fish like tilapia, cod, and flounder are good and are not to fishy. I buy large bags of frozen tilapia at Walmart. I pull out two fillets and make these for the hubs and I. There are a lot of different rubs and batters you can use and bake. If you like lemon, try a lemon pepper rub. The lemon pepper rub is yummy if you sprinkle on your fish, place the fish in an aluminum foil packet and grill.

If fish smells to fishy when you unwrapped it, soak for about 30 min is Water, a couple drops of lemon juice, and a little salt. This will weaken the fishy taste.

I personally will eat most seafood and fish, but my partner is in the "only if it's not TOO fishy" category....so here are some "approved" choices:

Wahoo/Ono, Halibut, Cod (preferrably Icelandic), Sand Dabs, Walleye, Sole

"Wacky Wahoo" in Aruba has some of the most fantastic seafood I've ever tasted (especially their ceviche), so if you go there every year, give it a try!

Thanks guys!! I will certainly take all of your advice and report back! I really want to like it because I know it is very healthy.

Check your local grocery stores. Some have fresh fish in their market. I get fresh Swai at Winn Dixie and Talapia at Publix. You also have to ask if it has been frozen, some are fresh frozen. I get the never been frozen. Ask what day their fresh fish comes in so you can get it right off the truck as you know it has traveled! Living in FL makes it easy to get fresh fish. Check around where you live and see what they have. There are some really good fresh Water fishes too. Most of the Swai and Tilapia are farm raised so you can get it anywhere.