Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band has migrated to my bowel!!!

Hi I'm new here, I had my band inserted August 2007 and initially it worked really well. After about two years I started suffering reflux and would have really bad flare ups where for a week at a time I could not eat anything or even keep Water down, after two years suffering like this I had the band emptied and everything was fine until Tuesday this week (11th June) when I suddenly got acute pain at the top of my stomach and couldn't keep anything down. I got an appointment with my doctor and he prescribed omezaprol (not sure of the spelling but it reduces stomach acid) this did nothing to help and the pain was horrific!!

This went on until Thursday when I had an ultrasound scan to check for gallstones, which of course showed nothing so I still didn't know what was happening. That night I tried so have some thin Soup but this caused such pain I had to go to A&E.

The doctor at A&E didn't know too much about lap bands and thought it might be kidney stones but he did arrange a CT scan for me this morning which has shown that the band is in my bowel!!

I'm feeling very scared about the operation tomorrow but I will be so pleased to put this all behind me!!

I feel that I have to put on a brave face for my family because this was my decision to try and take the easy way.

Hi I'm new here, I had my band inserted August 2007 and initially it worked really well. After about two years I started suffering reflux and would have really bad flare ups where for a week at a time I could not eat anything or even keep Water down, after two years suffering like this I had the band emptied and everything was fine until Tuesday this week (11th June) when I suddenly got acute pain at the top of my stomach and couldn't keep anything down. I got an appointment with my doctor and he prescribed omezaprol (not sure of the spelling but it reduces stomach acid) this did nothing to help and the pain was horrific!!

This went on until Thursday when I had an ultrasound scan to check for gallstones, which of course showed nothing so I still didn't know what was happening. That night I tried so have some thin Soup but this caused such pain I had to go to A&E.

The doctor at A&E didn't know too much about lap bands and thought it might be kidney stones but he did arrange a CT scan for me this morning which has shown that the band is in my bowel!!

I'm feeling very scared about the operation tomorrow but I will be so pleased to put this all behind me!!

I feel that I have to put on a brave face for my family because this was my decision to try and take the easy way. Please excuse the spelling mistakes

I am so sorry this happened to you. Did anyone tell you how in the heck the band could have migrated south to your bowel? I hope all goes well with your surgery and you can have a full recovery.

It has eroded my stomach over time and dropped in and then started on the digestion process

you waited 2 yrs after suffering bad reflux and not being able to keep anything down to have your band unfilled? when bad things happen like what you wrote, and for a long time-- a dr visit is a must to help seek out treatment.

That is horrible Nici :(

But, easy way... I think not...

That statement reeks of an unsupportive spouse or family.

WLS was brilliant Nici. How many times are you supposed to try and beat that 95% failure statistic before enough is enough?

Easy way is just so silly. How many highly driven and successful people do we have to see struggle with weight loss before we realize that it's not about easy? For the majority of us, it's about genetic predisposition and nothing more.

I hope you can get this fixed and find success with your weight. Really feel bad for your situation :(

How about some more information? Your profile is blank? Who performed your procedure? I have to admit to being a bit skeptical, but without some validation one wonders why you would posting this information?

has you band doctor seem these test? if not get them over to him asap I yet to find a regular doctor know anything about the banddont let them cut you open without you band doctor have seem the test.

Thank you for your replies, I will try and fill in the blanks if possible. After I had the band fitted (in a private hospital in the UK) I had the usual follow up appointments and band adjustments which were included in the package and I was loosing weight so it was all fine for a long time.

When I started suffering the reflux I went back and had the band adjusted so that it wasn't so tight, I also saw my original surgeon at this time and he was very dismissive of the problem and he made me feel like I was waisting his time.

I decided not to return to him again and I found another surgeon and he was going to investigate but I fell pregnant so to be honest it went to the back of my mind.

After I had the baby I started suffering what I thought was bad reflux again, these flair up would last up to a week where it was impossible to eat or drink. After a few of these episodes I went back to the second clinic and had the band completely emptied and there has been no more problems until now.

I was amazed this morning when I got the results of the CT scan, I had been researching having the band removed which is how I came to find this site last night. I am currently in hospital and apparently the band eroded into the stomach over a long period of time and it has made it's way into the bowel this week.

From what I gather I am very lucky it was picked up today and I am having strong painkillers (morphine) ready for the removal operation at 9.30 tomorrow.

My family and Spouse have been supportive but I have always felt a sense of shame at having to resort to surgery to loose weight so I have always played down the problems I have had with the band so this has been a big wake up call for all of us.

Thank you for your replies, I will try and fill in the blanks if possible. After I had the band fitted (in a private hospital in the UK) I had the usual follow up appointments and band adjustments which were included in the package and I was loosing weight so it was all fine for a long time.

When I started suffering the reflux I went back and had the band adjusted so that it wasn't so tight, I also saw my original surgeon at this time and he was very dismissive of the problem and he made me feel like I was waisting his time.

I decided not to return to him again and I found another surgeon and he was going to investigate but I fell pregnant so to be honest it went to the back of my mind.

After I had the baby I started suffering what I thought was bad reflux again, these flair up would last up to a week where it was impossible to eat or drink. After a few of these episodes I went back to the second clinic and had the band completely emptied and there has been no more problems until now.

I was amazed this morning when I got the results of the CT scan, I had been researching having the band removed which is how I came to find this site last night. I am currently in hospital and apparently the band eroded into the stomach over a long period of time and it has made it's way into the bowel this week.

From what I gather I am very lucky it was picked up today and I am having strong painkillers (morphine) ready for the removal operation at 9.30 tomorrow.

My family and Spouse have been supportive but I have always felt a sense of shame at having to resort to surgery to loose weight so I have always played down the problems I have had with the band so this has been a big wake up call for all of us.

Sorry I have just realised I acadently started two threads so this reply was meant for this one.

I think you need to find a bariatric doctor. It's physically impossible for the band to be IN your bowel.

Here is a picture of your anatomy, including where the band should be in relation to your bowel.

stomachbowel_zps4a8441cf.jpg

It actually is possible:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/core/lw/2.0/html/tileshop_pmc/tileshop_pmc_inline.html?title=Click%20on%20image%20to%20zoom&p=PMC3&id=3516989_WIITM-7-18335-g006.jpg

Sorry I have just realised I acadently started two threads so this reply was meant for this one.

I hope your surgery goes well. This to me is the biggest inconvenience with the band, the aftercare. I've been very lucky. Best of luck to you!

Oh if you had surgery in the U.K. I wonder if they didn't stich it right? but according to some on here they are so much better than U.S. surgeons.. I hope whatever is wrong you find an answer.. I'm like Missy doubt it could be in your bowels.. if so, you need to sue your surgeon..