Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 1/2 years post-op - recent stomach pains

I had lap band surgery 10/2010. Have only lost ~40 lbs...still have a long way to go. Very disappointed in the results but trying to do all the things I should do - trying to become re-committed more recently. But that's beside the point...

Anyway, I have had limited problems as they are related to the lapband, however, I have a problem that I'm wondering if it IS related. Here's the story.

Spring/summer of 2012 I had intermittent upper (middle) abdomenal pain that I would pass off as possible irritation from NSAID pain relievers, too much to eat, etc. But then in June, the pain became constant during one week and kept getting worse to the point of going to the ER. I was admitted and via a CT scan was told I had "dialated loops of bowel" which, when looked up on medical websites, is a blockage; had a low-grade fever and no other symptoms (no vomiting or diarrhea). However, they just gave me IV antibiotics, told me it wasn't a blockage and was probably an infection - kept me off food and fluids first day, and then progressed to liquid diet and soft diet. Discharge papers said "gastroenteritis". After 3 days I was released and felt better. Actually after the first night in the ER I felt fine the whole time I was in the hospital.

So, because I had had gastric problems most of my life - urgent diarrhea after meals mostly - and primary care physicians over the years just called it IBS and never really did any tests (other than blood testing for Ceilac - negative) I finally decided with the hospital visit it was time to visit a Gastroenterologist and see what the heck was going on. So I did - had a colonoscopy, EGD and small bowel series and all showed NOTHING wrong - no Celiac, no Crohns, no ulcers, no polyps, etc. So he essentially agreed with the IBS theory and said the hospital stay probably was indeed an infection and that's it. He gave me Protonix and an antispasmodic to help with the symptoms. However, since then, I still have upper (middle) abdomenal pain on occasion, sometimes pretty bad...and now its seems to be more to the left (basically right by my stomach), but NOT near my port (so I don't think my port is infected or anything like that). In fact I ended up in the hospital again a few weeks ago - same pain, but CT scan showed nothing and they didn't bother with antibiotics - they guessed it was a viral infection.

So, now I'm beginning to wonder if something is going on with my lapband...maybe a slippage? Seems like an hour after I eat I have mild pain. I still have my gallbladder, but the pain isn't usually on the right where I've heard that kind of pain can appear. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of pain? I don't see the surgeon frequently - the last fill was when I had the EGD last Fall because the band had to be completely deflated and then refilled for that test (and also, I started seeing a new surgeon at that time to insurance changes). I'm getting really frustrated with the pain and feel like no doctors can give me answers...and I fear the bariatric surgeon may be just as unhelpful. Hopefully someone can tell me they've been through something similar and can direct me to the right place. I kept thinking gastric doc should/would help, but my gastric track appears fine...so now what?

Please help. Thanks! (Sorry for the long story)

I would do two things- go see your bariatric surgeon to have your Lap Band checked and have a CT scan with contrast to have your gallbladder checked.

I just got out of the hospital on Wednesday. I went into the ER Sunday night in horrible pain and had my gallbladder removed on Tuesday. My pain wasn't isolated to my right side, either. It was more in the middle of my upper stomach and came in waves.

Gallbladder problems are very common after weight loss, btw.

Definitely get it checked out.

Best wishes.

I have been having the same problem along with nausea. I had an ultrasound, which showed a fatty liver due to obesity, had an X-ray of my abdomen, they were looking for blockage in my bowels, which was negative and then I had a hidascan. All were normal and my lap band is fine. I returned to my bariatric surgeon and he tried to order a CT scan but my insurance denied it. Now I am not better and there are no answers. I am very frustrated. I know how you feel.

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

Years ago, I kept having stomach problems. Random queasiness, diarrhea, and stomach pains not just on the right side. It landed me in the hospital twice for a week at a time. They did every test possible and I drank tons of the nasty barium...not pleasant! I got pregnant with my second son and was sick the whole time. After my c-section when he was born, I had the worst pain between my shoulder blades. My OB kept telling me it was air stuck in my cavity from the section. Finally I had enough! I drove myself to the ER and it was determined my gallbladder was diseased. The ER doc said it was probably the problem all along but just never showed up on tests. Five weeks after I gave birth, I had my gallbladder out. I have not had any problems with my stomach other than a minor belly ache since then!

Good luck and I hope my story helps you a little.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I experience that 2years ago. just band yesterday. they did a ultra sound and it was my gallbladder.... the pain was at the middle of my stomach

If not your gallbladder, it might be an intolerance to certain foods. Do you keep a log of what you eat? You might see if the pain occurs after eating certain foods. Strange of all things strange, I can't eat grapefruits or green peas as they cause me to have stomach pain and symptoms like IBS.

Good luck figuring it out!

Thanks so much everyone. I am beginning to think that it is indeed gallbladder. And unfortunately, I keep hearing from so many people that it seems to take a long time to diagnose that...so I hope I don't spent years waiting for them to figure it out. But, I will start the journey...LOL Going to call my gastro doc on Monday and see if I can get a HIDA test or ultrasound. Thank you everyone for responding - I appreciate your help!!!

make sure they do the ultra sound...this is the one that found mine. I went one time and was on surgery two weeks later wishing you lluck