Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mushies Stage Recipes

The article is called "Goodbye, Cruel Fat" and it's about tricking the tastebuds to prefer lean, nutritious fare over the rich and calorific. Women who read Oprah sent in culinary secrets for turning a beloved fattening food into a healthy, waist-friendly dish. (Obviously I'm typing verbatim) David L. Katz, MD, rated the nutritional value of 5 of the favorite recipes submitted:

Kate's Cauliflower (Which will be Nat's Cauliflower when I serve it at dinner!)

"Kate's Cauliflower will satisfy the craving for mashed potatoes - and it's healthy. Take a large head of cauliflower, steamed soft. ((Nat's note: I will probably steam it in FF chicken broth to infuse a bit more flavor)) Mash with 1 ounce low fat cream cheese, 1/4 cup low fat sour cream, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and 1 to 2 tablespoons of Smart Balance (a healthy butter-like spread made of vegetable oils). Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste." (submitted by Carol Spradlin of Bellevue, WA)

Katz says: "Thumbs up. One baked potatoe provides about 2 grams of Fiber, 610 milligrams of potassium and 145 calories. For a comparable amount of cooked cauliflower, which has only 35 calories, the Fiber is much higher (about 4 grams), as are the Calcium, Vitamin C, and folate. Although the potassium content is lower (about 230 milligrams), Kate's cauliflower gets my vote for guilt free comfort food."

I'll probably whip it in the food processor instead of mashing it so that it's super creamy. I'm heavy handed with the Condiments, so I will use low fat cream cheese and fat free sour cream. I'll probably add some other herbs and spices in it to make it more savory. Sounds good, doesn't it?? I bet you could even thin it with more chicken stock and make kind of a cauliflower bisque for liquids stage. Unflavored Protein powder whipped in will really pack a punch, too.

(I submitted this in my December Bandsters thread, but thought others may be interested, too.)

Everyone has such great Ideas. I plan to try them all. But not at the same time. I really like the pimento cheese spread. I am just starting my mushy stage. Was banded 11/27/06. Have lost 14 lbs since post-op. Am very excited to have more than just liquids.< /p>

tuna Morney

2 tablespoon of flour

a little melted butter

salt and pepper to taste

1 cup of milk

small can of tuna

a handfull of grated low fat cheese.

on a low heat, mix melted butter and flour add dash of salt and pepper...slowly mix in milk so that it is smooth and not lumpy...add your lowfat cheese and finally the can of tuna...keep stiring until it is thick and smooth.

Hmmmm yummy my favorite recipie when on the mushies.

:) Becky

I don't remember the name of it, but the one I bought was to foo fooey for me. It had a lot of things in it that I just don't have around the house. If I have to buy 5 or 6 items in order to make the recipe, it just isn't worth it.

Just my .02 worth.

I bought a cookbook called "Eating Well After Lap-Band Surgery" The author had Lap-Band surgery and she wrote this book to help all bariatric surgery patients eat high Protein, low-fat food at all stages after surgeries.

The recipes can be pureed and food-processed and they still taste good.

There are a lot of ingredients needed for the various recipes, though a few are fairly simple. She has a section in the front that tells you things to have in your pantry, etc. My husband and I went to the market and I bought almost everything she had in the lists, and I was excited to have a bunch of low fat tasty things and a book that shows me how to use them!

I will say that as an obese person, I quit cooking anything that was not quick and easy, and in my Quest for something that tasted good I often ate the wrong things. So now I find myself learning to cook in a different way.

In the mushy stage that I'm in, I need some better quality food that gives me the nutrients and doesn't get stuck. For later on, I will use these recipes as part of my lifestyle change in the food area. So far the recipes I've tried have been great! And I'm not afraid to spend time in the kitchen because I have another tool, this book!

Anybody got any ideas for cottage cheese? I like it but... you know, variety is needed. Maybe a recipe to jazz it up a bit.

I have a dip....Spinach and Herb I believe made by "Tastefully Simple" that is wonderful on cottage cheese. Chives are good on cottage cheese, too.

1 cup lowfat small curd cottage cheese

1 cup low or non-fat mayo

1 Tablespoon Uncle Dan's Original Dressing/Dip mix.

Mix all together and let stand in fridge for a little while for the spices to be absorbed.

This is delicious! Great on veggies, and other things.

It's so individual... I'm still pretty new at this, but I would never risk chewing gum...swallowing it by mistake, and plugging the hole. I was told not to drink anything with bubbles so I quit Diet Coke...bought one and let the fizz go in my mouth and then swallowed, and decided it wasn't worth the effort. Things with casings are tough...sausage and hot dogs, so I either take the casing off or chew chew chew even more. Then there's the time of day. I can't do much more than drink a Protein Shake some mornings, but I can eat a small chicken dinner evenings. Let's see...I doubt if I'll try Peanut Butter, but I never liked it much anyway. It's really all about what won't plug the hole...and what you love enough to want to put in the effort to chew it enough..... But it's also odd that my tastes have changed. I used to love sandwiches and now I find bread too much of a hassle to eat. But I still love the insides of sandwiches. I used to crave chocolate, but I get enough of it in my Protein Shakes that it's no longer special to me (Muscle Milk Light---yum!). I probably won't drink alcohol because now that I have real restriction, it's hard to get enough Protein in during the day, and I don't want to waste my calories on alcohol. That's kind of the gist of it. I'll also say this....until this last fill where I got enough restriction, it was really hard and I ate badly. When you get to that perfect restriction, it's a new world and there's truly freedom from some deeply ingrained bad habits!

Anybody got any ideas for cottage cheese? I like it but... you know, variety is needed. Maybe a recipe to jazz it up a bit.

I sprinkle "Tastefully Simples" Spinach & Herb dip on cottage cheese. I think any dip mix in moderation would be fine. I just love the one by Tastefully Simple.