Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how do you know if your band slipped?

The thought of that scares me. but how do you know? and can it be fixed? I have had a couple of episodes of vomiting due to eating too fast. I have a pain in my stomach now that wasnt there before.. banded 11/29/12

sw 226

cw 200

Six days of post op and had a long night of uncontrollable dry heaves because of alcohol and over eating. Of course I'll not be doing either again.

From what I read, it's pretty unlikely that a band slipped. But a quick call to your doctor might make you feel better.

Six days of post op and had a long night of uncontrollable dry heaves because of alcohol and over eating. Of course I'll not be doing either again.

From what I read, it's pretty unlikely that a band slipped. But a quick call to your doctor might make you feel better.

You're drinking, over eating, and vomiting 6 days post op? I'm sorry, but that was incredibly foolish and I can't believe someone would go through surgery just to risk their health so carelessly like that.

You need to get into your surgeon immediately. You could've done some major damage with this behavior so soon after surgery.

I and recovering from that right now. I threw up several times and then had a bad pain in the center of chest right to my back then I couldn't eat anything but Soup broth and it still hurt a lot. Went in to surgon and flouro told us what happen. He had to take all the Fluid out and we will re-check in another week..if you vomit call after the first time don't risk it.

Hey I was an idiot, but boy, think the reactions are a little bit over the top.

Not hear attention seeking or trying to be foolish. Just sharing what happened as I know from reading other posts that people are drinking right after surgery.

Also, overeating, are you kidding??? This is a WLS board...

I really appreciate the surgery comment though. I think I'll be alright as I'm feeling much better, but if things turn south for me, I'll call my doctor.

Thank you all for your posts. You guys have posted some great stuff on these forums and I've loved reading them. It really helps.

Thank you line-dancer. Very interesting.

I do feel fine now. I was really scared last night when the dry heaves started, but think it's okay. If there is any pain or discomfort I'll definitely be calling the doctor.

again, agree with mis, your dr is the one you should refer to on matters such as this...we can only offer (summations) some right and some wrong....again, your dr is the person who operated on you.....hope you feel better.

The thought of that scares me. but how do you know? and can it be fixed? I have had a couple of episodes of vomiting due to eating too fast. I have a pain in my stomach now that wasnt there before.. banded 11/29/12

sw 226

cw 200

To the OP: From what I understand, a slip can have many different symptoms. The only way to find out is to see your doctor, have a barium swallow. I've had 3 stomach viruses since being banded and it didn't cause my band to slip.

#3 brianb

Topics: 2

Patient Info:View my profile

Posted Today, 5:29 AM

Like This

Absolute must see videos for anyone that has or is getting the lap band...

Some of the misconceptions that the series of videos covers:

* The lap band should not restrict, but instead trick the brain into thinking you ate much more than you did.

* food goes through the band in less than a minute and does NOT sit above the band (unless food is stuck or you eat too fast)

* The band causes food to rub against nerves in the stomach as it passes through the band. This causes a feeling of fullness.

* It should not be necessary to fill the pouch above the band to achieve a feeling of fullness.

http://www.lapbandta...dr-paul-obrien/

MultiQuote

Blog This

As far as Brian is concerned...generally alcohol isn't allowed for 3-6 months post op. The attitude that "everyone does it" is not going to get you anywhere and is an adolescent excuse. Sorry, but that's how it comes across. Line-dancer was replying to the OP, since she recently was Dx with a slip...not saying she overate and drank to excess.

sw 226

cw 200

Hey Wannabe 1959, good question. I was banded in 2003. It slipped when I caught a bad flu virus and vomited/ heaved heavily before I remembered to take a Promethazine to calm my stomach/ system down. My band surgery was revised in 2005 (specifically the stitching of it around the stomach- the surgeon actually acknowledged that the stitch technique around the band had been improved since my band was first done) and it's been fine since then. I've gone from about 265 pounds initially to 175 now (and I hope to work my way down to 160.)

How did I know it slipped? I didn't.

I can't vouch for anyone else's experience but I did not have pain or feel different in any way except that I wasn't losing weight anymore. When I went in to my surgeon to check on it, they asked a lot of questions but instead of ruling a slip out they sensed it might have happened, took an x-ray and told me I needed a revision.

Despite having had a revision (and my insurance changed between the two surgeries so I had to pay cash -small payments for years- for the revision!) getting banded was the BEST thing I ever did for my health. Learning from the feedback the band gives me has taught me to eat only small portions of nutritious, delicious food. I am much healthier than I was when I was morbidly obese.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.