Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What can i expect? First day/week/month pre op

I had my consultation and am booked for surgery May/13. I need to know what I will go through on the first few days, weeks. I am really nervous and just want to make sure I am fully prepared and have no surprises. I'm sure it's not going to be all roses and sunshine at the start.

Do you have a pre-op diet? If so the fun starts there. Often it is liquids only, or mostly liquids. Post-op is nearly always liquid Protein drinks and lots of other fluids, non-protein. I would suggest that you start trying our both ready mixed and powder forms of Protein. Try to keep the sugar content low. I use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury and it is fabulous. Also Nashua Nutrition will send you individual serving size packets of powder so you can try lots of flavors before committing to a bulk purchase. I still use these for travel. Pack them inside the shaker and add lowfat milk, unsweetened almond milk, or Water, depending onyour taste buds.

Post surgery expect a lot of gas pains. These are not your typical gas pains, but from the air that is pumped into your truck to assist the surgeon. About the only thing that helps these is walking and a heating pad. Some say Gas-X strips helped, but I never had any lick with them.

You will progress from liquids to mushies/pureed foods on to soft foods and regular foods. Take tiny bites and chew to mush to avoid getting stuck. Eat about 8 oz per meal and stop. You are looking for a satisfied feeling, not full. If you fill full when you stop, you will feel stuffed shortly.

The post op period is of healing so follow your doc or nutritionists orders.... no cheating. You can harm the band and stitches from surgery otherwise. When in doubt, call the doctor. If it is not an emergency you can ask online, but don't ask if you should call the doctor. If you even had the thought, call them. That is what they are there for!

Best wishes... read as much as possible up front so you know what to expect. Informed patients make compliant patients. Remember, this is not a quick fix, it is a lifestyle change. You will do fine!

Congratulations on making the decision to change your life for the better!

Thank you so much Cheznoel. This was very informative. I don't have a pre op diet as I am a low BMI. I have been researching the good and the bad for 2 months now and have been reading all the experiences on this site. After thinking about this for some time I made the decision to go ahead and do it. I know some people who have had the surgery, one is highly successful with the weight loss and other not at all. They have given a lot of info as well. I have been preparing my mind for what is to come and have started practicing eating small bits and chewing more. I am getting excited to start this new journey and know that is have retrain my brain, and this site is definitely the place to get the help I need.

Shout out if you need us, or feel free to send me a PM.

The first few days are the hardest. I stayed 1 night in the hospital. The gas pain made things uncomfortable. i didn't really feel myself until day 4-5. Get all your supplies ahead of time so you don't have to worry about it after surgery. My highest weight was bmi 36 and now I'm bmi 27 (less than 10 months later). Lower bmi will be slower weight loss for you. Just take it slow and remember this is a tool. It was definitely a learning process for me in the last 10 months. Good luck.