Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for real Lap Band affects

Hi, I am considering lap band and have a BMI of 33. I want lose 50-60 lbs. I have researched the surgery and it seems this is the way to go for me. I just need to know what to expect emotionally, post op. did anyone get depressed or sad and how long did this last? I am working at getting myself prepared emotionally, I just need to hear some true stories so I can fully prepare.

Just read the daily posts and search the forums.

if you already have emotion issues u might want to see a therapist first and understand why food means to you it will help in the long run. I felt great but then I have been on meds ( a lot of us are) for years so I was set.

I remember saying to myself on day 3... what have I done to myself... then I burped... felt wonderful.

I lost 17 lbs my first week and haven't looked back. Best decision I ever made.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

Well since I can eat light and healthy 5 days out of the week and have been committed to the gym 5 days a week, I'm sure I'll be ok. My problem was the weekends. The weekends are the reason I can't lose weight because I do really good all week only to go crazy on the weekends. I am hoping this surgery will force me to keep control all week long and lose the weight I so desperately want to lose......and keep it off.

I am hoping this surgery will force me to keep control all week long and lose the weight I so desperately want to lose......and keep it off.

This is a danger signal. For the vast majority of us, the band will not force us to do anything, we can eat past the band if we chose to. For me, the band allows me to feel less physical hunger and be satiated with less food. It does not affect the head hunger (emotional eating, bored eating, etc.) at all. I still pace in the evenings as I fight the urge to shove things in my mouth to fulfill a emotional need rather than a physical one.

Not telling you what to do, just telling you like it is...

Terry, thank you so much for replying. This is the information I am trying to gather. The emotional aspect to the journey. I do know that I have to change my eating habits on everyday of the week and I am hoping that this surgery will help with that. I am trying to prepare myself mentally and emotionally for the changes that will occur, especially at times when I will want to indulge as I did in the past. I know for fact that everyone who has had this surgery was thinking the same at the beginning, otherwise they would have just did the losing on their own. The reason for this surgery is because we can't do it on our own. The whole plan for me is to be completely open and honest with myself and be open to suggestion and ideas like yours to help me through the part that will be difficult. Emotions and thoughts won't go away with the surgery, but when those emotions and thoughts spring, I am hoping that knowing I had the surgery and what my limitations are, I will be better equipped to fight those feelings. That's why I named the topic, Looking for Real Affect (sorry for the spelling error). I wanted to hear what people have gone through emotionally in the first few weeks/months post op. To get a clear understanding and to have a game plan prepared.

Terry, thank you so much for replying. This is the information I am trying to gather. The emotional aspect to the journey. I do know that I have to change my eating habits on everyday of the week and I am hoping that this surgery will help with that. I am trying to prepare myself mentally and emotionally for the changes that will occur, especially at times when I will want to indulge as I did in the past. I know for fact that everyone who has had this surgery was thinking the same at the beginning, otherwise they would have just did the losing on their own. The reason for this surgery is because we can't do it on our own. The whole plan for me is to be completely open and honest with myself and be open to suggestion and ideas like yours to help me through the part that will be difficult. Emotions and thoughts won't go away with the surgery, but when those emotions and thoughts spring, I am hoping that knowing I had the surgery and what my limitations are, I will be better equipped to fight those feelings. That's why I named the topic, Looking for Real Affect (sorry for the spelling error). I wanted to hear what people have gone through emotionally in the first few weeks/months post op. To get a clear understanding and to have a game plan prepared.

Understood. I really tried to clear my preconceptions and look at everything as though I was seeing it for the first time. I had been dieting so long, that many of the things that I "Knew" simply needed to be discovered again.

Read Dr Huberman's book - Through Thick & Thin....it's a very quick and easy read. The subtitle is The Emotional Journey of Weight Loss Surgery, but u could almost take off the word surgery. I think the book is good for anyone trying to take charge of their weight regardless of whether or not u have the surgery or even those without weight problems who are trying to support you but just don't get why you are not losing weight. Dr. Huberman is my Psychologist so I might be a bit biased, but he is far from me and its not practical to see him on a regular basis. I am finding the book very helpful in getting my mental house in order.

Post op was hell for me, but only for 7 days. The 8th day was no big deal and the 9th day I felt 100% and was so happy with my decision.

Now, you do have to be careful with the band if you don't already know it. It's very easy to over eat and have something get stuck. I'm not sure what causes it, but you really don't want to irritate your band so much that you start throwing up. I suspect that getting stuck could cause this.

From what I've read it sounds like every time you throw up, you risk a chance of causing a band slippage. Supposedly rare, but I'm skeptical as there are a ton of posts on this board about people who have had slipped bands.

Just something to consider...

Now, what is awesome about the band in my opinion is that if you have a change of heart, you can have the saline removed until you are ready to get on track. And for that reason alone I think it's the #1 WLS.

Anyway, the emotional journey for me was pretty simple.

- 2 weeks of pre-op liquid diet hell

- 1 week of post-op hell

- blue skies ever after

I recall having this feeling I was saying good bye to certain foods pre op, like a steak or burger, but in reality I can still enjoy them, I just tend to hide the fact I'll only touch a tiny part compared to finishing the whole thing.

I found turning off the economical aspect of eating, like thinking something is good value to get the next size, and not feeling guilty to walking away from a half eaten meal. I think one of the worse things I grew up on was being forced to finish everything on my plate, especially in order to have a treat, when quite happily the treat may have satisfied me as a whole meal.

I also had to get comfortable and realizing I could still eat out with friends and colleagues, especially those who I don't want to divulge the fact I have a band. I'm now just referred to as the slow and healthy eater, sticking to seafood and Entrees most the time.

I also thought about the people I was surrounded by whose eating habits I admired, like the girl who ate small kid sized portions and I wondered why she wasn't looking for more food an hour later, or the athletic guys who snacked on vegies throughout the day to not waste their efforts from their time at the gym. Both of these helped me move to the mindset of what I could enjoy and be proud of, rather than just focusing on the initial things I thought I couldn't eat or do.