Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Life After Band Removal

Hey Guys! So I don't recall these sharp abdominal pains?! Must be the fact that the first time I had surgery done I actually had time to recover. I'm a Nursing student and I had to jump right back in school 2 days after I got discharged. Late night studying makes me super hungry but I'm fighting it :) I will probably get my 1st fill next week.

Hey guys I'm 3 days post-op in pain but bearable with my pain meds. My constant battle with my weight and my insurance changed my mind. I never had issues with my weight until after puberty. I've always eaten healthy with a few cheats here and there (like us all) and exercised 3 days out of the week. Even with exercise and eating healthy my body would lose a couple of lbs and gain it right back or more. I couldn't allow this to happen again after Officially being out of the 200s. The Band allowed me to keep my lifestyle the same with more productive results. My insurance also wouldn't cover any WLS at this point because of my low weight. If I were to have issues again with the band I can convert to the Gastric Sleeve. The band repositioning already feels great! My GE Reflux went away immediately and my fluids are going down pretty well. So only the future can tell. Thanks so much for the Support :)

I was in your spot (had to go through removal from complication) in 2005 when I was 100lbs down with my original band. Replacement was not an option for me at that point because of an erosion but I think that had I been able to replace my band 3 months later like my surgeon wanted (and insurance denied), after I had only regained around 15-20lbs, I really think I could have continued my success with the band.

I'm glad you made the decision you did while your insurance supported it. I really think it's worth the risk. I ended up regaining all that 100lbs I had lost and by the time I replaced my band, I think in some ways, it was just too late and my second band never quite worked the same. So now I am in the spot you thought you might end up, revising to the sleeve.

Yes, you may still end up with slippage down the road, but you may not! You may have just saved yourself a whole lot of headache! :) Congratulations. I wish you the very best of luck and continued success!

I was in your spot (had to go through removal from complication) in 2005 when I was 100lbs down with my original band. Replacement was not an option for me at that point because of an erosion but I think that had I been able to replace my band 3 months later like my surgeon wanted (and insurance denied), after I had only regained around 15-20lbs, I really think I could have continued my success with the band.

I'm glad you made the decision you did while your insurance supported it. I really think it's worth the risk. I ended up regaining all that 100lbs I had lost and by the time I replaced my band, I think in some ways, it was just too late and my second band never quite worked the same. So now I am in the spot you thought you might end up, revising to the sleeve.

Yes, you may still end up with slippage down the road, but you may not! You may have just saved yourself a whole lot of headache! :) Congratulations. I wish you the very best of luck and continued success!

Don't feel bad about the second band not working for you. Most people that have to have a second band or even the first slipped and replaced, don't have luck ater that so you are in the majority.

Don't feel bad about the second band not working for you. Most people that have to have a second band or even the first slipped and replaced, don't have luck ater that so you are in the majority.

Thanks :) That's what I'm finding as well. Luckily, we were smart enough to choose the band the first time around, so we have options if we have these kind of complications down the road, right? Looking forward to my revision on May 11th!! Hope you're recovering well!!

I'm getting the band removed rather than revised because I've had problems with slippage before. I've emptied than refilled twice and I was faced with removal or revision. I refuse to put myself through the emotional toll again and there would be a possibility that slippage may occur even after revision. I also fell that my body is negating the band.

I'm in the same position. Had mine for 5 years and I've literally been through hell with it the last 2. I want mine out cause I can't take the risk of

Going through what I have been through again

There are many, many of us with the same problem.

My remov surgery is today. I'm nervous and praying its a simple removal with no other problems found.

My remov surgery is today. I'm nervous and praying its a simple removal with no other problems found.

Hope all went well!!! It's so nice to be able to eat and drink again!!

I was in your spot (had to go through removal from complication) in 2005 when I was 100lbs down with my original band. Replacement was not an option for me at that point because of an erosion but I think that had I been able to replace my band 3 months later like my surgeon wanted (and insurance denied)' date=' after I had only regained around 15-20lbs, I really think I could have continued my success with the band.

Yes, you may still end up with slippage down the road, but you may not! You may have just saved yourself a whole lot of headache! :) Congratulations. I wish you the very best of luck and continued success![/quote']

Thank you so much!! I've been doing great with the band, luckily I never had to get it replaced I just had to get it repositioned. I'm so glad I made that choice even if I have to revise to the gastric sleeve. Weight loss surgery has enhanced my life. I don't know where I'd be without it. Best of luck to you all on whatever you decide. Remember why we went through the struggle in the first place. We did it for a healthier life! Xoxo :)

To those of you, who got the band removed I wish you the best of luck and success. Stay motivated!! :)

All went well., staying overnight for monitoring.

So, glad to hear all went well for you. I was aol and didn't realize you had your band removed untill today.

So' date=' glad to hear all went well for you. I was aol and didn't realize you had your band removed untill today.[/quote']

Yes just soreness in the incision sites... But that will pass. Still hesitant on the eating and getting back to eating.

I'm in the same position. Had mine for 5 years and I've literally been through hell with it the last 2. I want mine out cause I can't take the risk of

Going through what I have been through again

Many are there with you. I truly believe we are no longer the minority. My center admits to 1/3 removal rate. I personally now others that have theirs removed at other centers that have opened up since we were banded closer to their home. This people are still being carried as success at our center.

Did you have any other issues show up at removal?