Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bye lap-band - it's been real, a real pain!

I'm scheduled to have my lap-band removed. After struggling with pain for the past 4 1/2 years, and minor weight loss (30 pounds), I am ready to say goodbye to the band. When I got banded in 2008, I had all good intentions. Follow up with the doctor, follow the diet guidelines, and get support through classes. I tried to find the sweet spot. After being filled, unfilled, refilled, there was never any sweet spot. In fact, with the band unfilled, I still have restriction, and pain. The pain is centered in my chest, and feels like someone is standing on my sternum when I wake up in the morning. The band has my stomach so irritated, I cannot eat eggs in the morning, and must stick to liquids. Any vegetables I eat must be heavily steamed. And if I'm in a social situation, and take a bite of food without chewing thoroughly, I will throw it up. Even the most unlikely foods (like Japanese seaweed salad) reacts with my band. Rice? Forget it. Steak? Nope. How about a chilean sea bass? It's not tolerated.

This is no way to live life. I am tired of the burping. I'm tired of the pain.

So, enough is enough, and the band is coming out. Yes, I know it's a tool, and not the answer to my weight loss, but it was a tool that hurt more than it helped.

Wish me luck. Out it comes next week.

I hope you recover quickly.

I'm sorry that you did not have a good experience. I know there are some it didn't work for and some that it did. I pray that I am one of the lucky ones that can go the long haul. Good Luck with your removal and I hope you are able to find something that works for you and are able to have a healthy lifestyle.

That's what this is all about...being healthy.

Best wishes for success in losing weight however you chose to do it.

I wish you the best with your decision...in reality though, not everyone will ever find their "green zone".

Hope you have a fast and complete recovery...

I hope you find some relief and success, sorry this did not work for you.

Your story sounds a lot like mine. Even with all 3.5 cc (11cc band) removed from my band I have problems eating pretty often. I've developed a motility disorder that my GI doc feels is band caused, or at the very least band aggravated. I have IBSc and am taking some Meds that help, but I still have reflux, pbs, and outright vomiting at times. I'm trying to resolve this without more surgery, but it's not looking favorable. Hope your removal gives you relief and you can maintain your weight loss. Post when it's out and let us know how it goes. Hugs!

I'm scheduled to have my lap-band removed. After struggling with pain for the past 4 1/2 years' date=' and minor weight loss (30 pounds), I am ready to say goodbye to the band. When I got banded in 2008, I had all good intentions. Follow up with the doctor, follow the diet guidelines, and get support through classes. I tried to find the sweet spot. After being filled, unfilled, refilled, there was never any sweet spot. In fact, with the band unfilled, I still have restriction, and pain. The pain is centered in my chest, and feels like someone is standing on my sternum when I wake up in the morning. The band has my stomach so irritated, I cannot eat eggs in the morning, and must stick to liquids. Any vegetables I eat must be heavily steamed. And if I'm in a social situation, and take a bite of food without chewing thoroughly, I will throw it up. Even the most unlikely foods (like Japanese seaweed salad) reacts with my band. Rice? Forget it. Steak? Nope. How about a chilean sea bass? It's not tolerated.

This is no way to live life. I am tired of the burping. I'm tired of the pain.

So, enough is enough, and the band is coming out. Yes, I know it's a tool, and not the answer to my weight loss, but it was a tool that hurt more than it helped.

Wish me luck. Out it comes next week.[/quote']

Good luck!! Recovery after removal was a piece of cake, except the port site hurt for weeks :/

Wishing you the best! I too am sorry it didn't work out for you.

Praying for a speedy recovery. Sorry it did not work for you, and wish you success for your future. Take care hun

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Good luck

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

I'm going to need mine removed as well. I tried as hard as I could, and no matter what I did I just couldn't tolerate life with the band. I'm actually waiting right now for the doc to respond to me exactly on what day to do it. I'd have it done right away, except that my dad is having surgery a week from Tuesday and I need to make arrangements for my dogs to be taken care of and see who can drive me to the clinic and back. Very frustrating. :angry:

I definitely sympathize with you! I've had a lot of problems myself in the last 6 years! It's hard to decide when to just throw in the towel and say enough is enough! I wish you the best, and a speedy recovery!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. This is a LapBand AP system. Thursday's the day it comes out.

If anyone has converted to a gastric sleeve, I'd be interested in hearing your story.