Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

From 433 to 187 pounds - I'm less than half the woman I used to be!

Hi bandsters,

I haven't checked in here in a long time, but I just wanted to let you all know that as of today I have lost 246 pounds on my lap band journey. I was banded in late 2008, and lost about 200 pounds in two years. Then I plateaued for about a year, thinking that perhaps that was as low as I could go. Then when getting another fill my port tubing got struck and my band was slowly leaking. Only we didn't know that at first. I had a bunch of tests done to rule out band slipping, etc. I had lost most of my restriction and I gained back 30 pounds. I had port and tube replacement surgery a little over a year ago, and ever since then, my weight loss has gotten back on track and more. I've lost over 60 pounds in the last year for a total weight loss of 246 pounds.

In the last year to get past this long plateau, I've had to get really serious about diet and exercise. Now I'm on a Paleo diet, and I drink my own fresh pressed green vegetable juice every day. I use fresh green veggies like celery, cucumber, mint, brocolli, lettuce, kale, sugar snap peas, plus an apple or some grapes, and a lemon for acidity (helps alkalinize the body) and to keep it from oxidizing longer if I don't drink it all immediately. My body loves it! It's vitality in a glass. I use an Omega vegetable juicer.

I also do regular yoga. In the month of January as part of a challenge my yoga class is doing yoga every single day, and yesterday we went to an all-day yoga workshop! Honestly, if even a year ago anyone told me that I would be doing daily exercise and going to an all-day exercise class I would have LAUGHED IN THEIR FACE! But now I'm really loving it. Yoga is great because it focuses on the mind as well as the body. I think most of us, whether morbidly obese or not, need to rewrite our "stories" about ourselves. And yoga really gives you tools to do that. It's more than just exercise.

So I just wanted to let people know that YOU CAN DO ANYTHING! Really, when you change your thoughts you change everything. So just start thinking about how you are living a healthy lifestyle, and you have the power to overcome any challenge, and you will be surprised how the results add up over time!

What's next for me? Well, I've already surpassed my first (249 lbs) and second (199 lbs) weight loss goals. My next goal is 180 lbs, and at 187.2 this morning I'm getting pretty close to it. I may or may not set a lower goal after that. Even at 5' 8.5" height that still puts me in the obese category according to BMI so I may go lower still before plastic surgery.

I definitely need plastic surgery. I have a LOT of loose hanging skin, folds in my skin both horizontally AND vertically. I know the surgeries will take some additional weight off, too. I have met with a local plastic surgeon who recommends three surgeries: (1) a lower body lift with anchor incision, (2) breast reconstruction, arm lift, and Lipo on the thighs, and (3) medial thigh lift. It's quite expensive here in the SF Bay Area though. Soon I have a consultation at cosmed in Tiajuana to see what they would charge. The challenge is both finding the time as well as the money.

Well, I hope this is helpful to some of you all. Good luck and keep up the faith!

Kathy

Wow you are amazing! Great job!

You are awesome! Any wise words for those of us still on our journeys? One thing I'm really interested in is eating, did you have to alter your "diet" to keep the pounds coming off, or did you pretty much stick with the same thing since the beginning when you started? (meaning Protein goals, carb goals, and maybe calorie goals (some don't have to watch this))

You are awesome! Any wise words for those of us still on our journeys? One thing I'm really interested in is eating, did you have to alter your "diet" to keep the pounds coming off, or did you pretty much stick with the same thing since the beginning when you started? (meaning Protein goals, carb goals, and maybe calorie goals (some don't have to watch this))

Amy,

I've done quite a lot of different things with regard to my eating plan over the 4+ years since I've been banded. To be honest, at first I didn't really follow a specific eating plan. I just ate what I could with the band, made some sensible choices, and the weight came off. I've always been of the opinion that if I have to follow a "diet" it is going to set me up for failure. Lately I have been following Paleo, more as a healthy eating plan than a diet, and more as a guideline which I allow myself to vary from occasionally and/or in moderation. For example, today when eating out at lunchtime (green salad, edamame, and grilled marinated beef for me) I allowed my son to get ice cream for dessert as a treat. And I allowed myself (and fortunately, he allowed me LOL) to have one spoonful of his ice cream. So I'm not totally denying myself, but I'm not going crazy either. That helps keep me sane, because really I have to eat this way for the rest of my life.

Thank you, that plan works for me too. I stick to my numbers, but I still have things I like, just had pizza the other night, but was smart about it.

Congrats on the weight loss success, Futureskinnykathy! Sounds like you need anew name! Amazing, maybe! Karen

Very impressive.. Best of luck as you strive towards new goals!

Congrats on the weight loss!! You are an inspiration for sure. I really needed to hear your story because lately I have been a little stuck mentally and scale-wise. I have lost about 3lbs in the past three months. Eating what I am supposed to eat and working out whenever I can. I have actually ramped up my gym activity in the past month with hopes I would see movement. Nothing yet but hopefully soon. Even after dropping 140lbs I still have such a long road ahead of me.

thanks for sharing

Go girl!! Can we see a picture?

Kathy i am so happy for you that u have lost all the weight u wanted to and now face the surgeons knife again to get rid of the excess skin, I have had 2 of my 3 skin removal surgeries and will be going for my breast lift which is the last surgery in a couple of months time, having lost 240lbs myself i know how much hard work you have put in and know how much spare skin u have been left with. All i can say is that this more than anything choose your surgeon wisely, and make sure you have all the information to take as few risks as possible. I am in the UK so we dont have a Mexico to go to but many have gone to europe and been very happy with the results, but our safety net is the health service here that will help if things go wrong, so make sure u get your surgery done and have a safet net to fall back on if u need to :)

good luck !

Kathy,

I find it weird to say "congratulations" for all your hard work but I can't think of a better word. I also wanted to thank you for coming to post here. I started at 401 and am now down to 350. My surgeon has told me that realistically I could expect to get down to about 240, but I would so love to get below 200. It is really inspiring to read of your success and accomplishments.

Wow, your an inspiration. I'm just beginning to think about getting the lap-band. My mother and sister-in-law both have it and are losing weight. I myself have to lose 200lbs so seeing that you were able to do it makes me believe I can do it too. Still trying to find out the steps I have to take in order to actually schedule appointment. Insurance told me they will cover 80% once I do a 6 month supervised dietary plan. Thank you for writting about your experience

Wow! Congratulations on the new you. You look great.

That is awesome! Way to go. I am looking at the same three surgeries. Here in N. Florida, it is about $10,000 for each. I am doing the breast and arms first. Probably next Spring, just had hip replaced. One thing at a time!

UPDATE: I had the first of two planned cosmetic surgeries five weeks ago. We changed the plan a little bit. Surgery #1 which I just had included Tummy Tuck with anchor incision, breast lift with implants, arm lift, and Lipo on the thighs. I thought the recovery would be rough but it wasn't bad at all. Surgery #2 sometime soon I hope but not yet scheduled will be a butt lift (making the tummy tuck into a full lower body lift) and medial thigh lift. I've got a thread in the Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgery forum titled "Kathy Goes Under the Knife" with lots more info.