Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I see people asking if getting a band for BMI 30-35 is drastic and I wanted to share my story. I am 25 years old. I started my lap band journey at 79kgs (174lbs) and I am 165cm tall (5"5) ... I went into my surgeons office as my

Mum had successful banding 3 years ago and I have struggled with body image and depression for 4/5 years.. My weight fluctuated constantly but was at the heaviest I had ever been due to antidepressant medication. For those who haven't experienced the effects of this medication it causes significant carbohydrate cravings and also can slow the metabolism. So I was eating a lot of sugar and bread etc. I was exercising approx 3 times a week but It was not enough to budge the weight I was gaining. Initially my surgeon was hesitant to consider surgery, but when I expressed the amount of grief my weight was causing he really listened and understood that the surgery could be the key to Turning a life of depression and low self esteem around.... Which it has!! With the understanding that there would be careful monitoring so that i dont end up under weight he said to me that "he is in no position to play god" and if it was goin to improve my quality of life then he would do it so long as I had time to go away and really think about it properly. I had my surgery a month ago and I am already (10kgs) 15lbs down and I feel like a new person. I am taking less medication, I am excersizing more. And am so much happier for it. Those with lower BMI who feel like it could make you happier, go for it. It is drastic, but in my case. So very worth it! Best of luck to you! X

Great story and progress!

Fantastic story. I started at 30 BMI, but after the pre-op diet, I was a 27 BMI the day of surgery. The doctor joked that I was thinner than him.

Like you, my weight has bothered me for a long time. I've struggled with the same 30 - 50 pounds most of my life and just got sick of it. I worked out as much as possible and tried to control my eating, but my hunger would always eventually win.

I'm 4 days post op and so happy I went through with it. A tiny bit of food fills me up now and I feel like I've been freed.

I started with a BMI of approx 32 and am currently sitting at a BMI of 23. I did get a bit lower than that but have regained some over the last year.

This is not intended as a personal attack against anyone who has already had the lap band but I have to say getting a lap band when you have less than 15 pts to lose off your BMI to be a healthy weight is very dangerous. You are simply more likely to experience complications than experience other health risks. It's like having your gall bladder removed just to avoid something going wrong with your gall bladder.

On a second note as unfair as it is; it trivializes the procedure and feeds the social idea that WLS is an easy fix for people too lazy to just diet and exercise. It's an unfair assessment but rarely ate social views fueled by a fair and objective outlook.

I firmly believe WLS should be a last resort for losing weight.

Anyone with a BMI over 30 is obese. Being obese is a major health risk. There have been a number of studies that show that lower BMI bandsters actually have a lower risk of complications and are more likely to achieve and maintain a healthy BMI.

Anyone with a BMI over 30 is obese. Being obese is a major health risk. There have been a number of studies that show that lower BMI bandsters actually have a lower risk of complications and are more likely to achieve and maintain a healthy BMI.

Those studies often exclude the statistical data of how likely the person would have been to lose the weight and keep it off by less invasive means such as intensive therapy. Removing gall bladders and tonsils from all 10 yr olds would also have fewer complications compared to people receiving those procedures at later ages but would still put them at greater risk than never having the procedure at all unless necessary.

Younger people generally recover better from surgical procedures but unless there are co-morbidities already present the BMI just provides corallary data. Some people with "high" BMIs are healthier at older age than their lower BMI peers. The BMI is a statistical tool not a medical assessment.

To compare removing gall bladders and tonsils from healthy 10 year olds with banding obese people ( remember BMI over 30 is obese) makes no sense. I am sure that the majority of people who have been banded have been struggling with their weight for a long time. They have probably tried every diet under the sun, some successfully some not and obviously they have not managed to maintain the weight loss.

Every person that has got to a BMI of 40+ had a BMI of 30+ at some stage. If losing it without the band is so easy then why haven't those people done it?

To compare removing gall bladders and tonsils from healthy 10 year olds with banding obese people ( remember BMI over 30 is obese) makes no sense. I am sure that the majority of people who have been banded have been struggling with their weight for a long time. They have probably tried every diet under the sun' date=' some successfully some not and obviously they have not managed to maintain the weight loss.

Every person that has got to a BMI of 40+ had a BMI of 30+ at some stage. If losing it without the band is so easy then why haven't those people done it?[/quote']

It's not easy it also isn't always necessary. BMI is a statistical tool which ndexes people on some very old information (1832 to be specific) it is useful and allows us to identify possible health risks but it is often misunderstood

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2009/07/beyond_bmi.html

The term "obese" is like "midget" or "retarded" it used to be a scientific descriptor but because humans are an emotionally driven social animal we have assigned a negative emotional value to it and assume it's always bad despite other health indicators which are increasingly being identified as more accurate than BMI.

In fact there is mounting evidence that some people are overweight because of metabolic disorders like diabetes rather than vice versa. In other words the effect of lap band on satiation response may have more to do with chemical response changing how you "use" your food than just the "restriction" of eating less. It's called the Diabesity model where insulin response, blood pressure, and heart disease are actually the cause of obesity and obesity is more effectively treated in some people by addressing those conditions primarily.

So I still stand by my premise that if you want to lose weight just because you think you weigh too much (and have no other indicators of health risks). You should not consider WLS due to the inherent risks of it simply being surgery of any kind.

Not only have I read that article I've actually read the study it's based on. Note in the article the recommendation for people with a BMI between 30 & 35 have a co-morbidity (predominantly diabetes).

It's not easy it also isn't always necessary. BMI is a statistical tool which ndexes people on some very old information (1832 to be specific) it is useful and allows us to identify possible health risks but it is often misunderstood

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2009/07/beyond_bmi.html

The term "obese" is like "midget" or "retarded" it used to be a scientific descriptor but because humans are an emotionally driven social animal we have assigned a negative emotional value to it and assume it's always bad despite other health indicators which are increasingly being identified as more accurate than BMI.

In fact there is mounting evidence that some people are overweight because of metabolic disorders like diabetes rather than vice versa. In other words the effect of lap band on satiation response may have more to do with chemical response changing how you "use" your food than just the "restriction" of eating less. It's called the Diabesity model where insulin response' date=' blood pressure, and heart disease are actually the cause of obesity and obesity is more effectively treated in some people by addressing those conditions primarily.

So I still stand by my premise that if you want to lose weight just because you think you weigh too much (and have no other indicators of health risks). You should not consider WLS due to the inherent risks of it simply being surgery of any kind.

[/quote']

Frederic,

I suggest you spend your energy and time focusing on yourself and how you will successfully reach your Weightloss goals and less time and energy throwing rocks at others trying to improve their health and lives.

What is the purpose of jumping in with your opinion on the girl who already had WLS and is trying to move down the path toward her goals? To what end would you do such a thing? Are you aware that many "low BMI" people that courageously decide on surgery face serious negative opposition from friends and family as well as the community of WLS that should accept them often chooses to treat them with disdain leaving them with a very difficult and emotional road to navigate?

Lee

280 lbs lost - All diseases reversed

As I said I cast no aspersions on anyone who as already gotten the surgery. My concern is with anyone reading this thread who is thinking WLS is the answer to "losing a few pounds".

I firmly believe in WLS as a life saving option for numerous people but I feel compelled to present it as what it is. A life changing decision with serious possible risks. If people don't talk about WLS seriously and honestly then mainstream culture will continue to demean it's use as a "shortcut" or "plastic surgery".

You just don't get it - good luck on your pat

Hi everyone! My BMI is close to 32.. yes I am obese and I am very depressed and on 3 meds. I am self pay for the lap band...and fills will cost $400 each, This is alot of money for me, as I am on disability. The surgery itself is $15,000. I am afraid I am not in the right frame of mind right now. I am desperate to lose the weight, but I binge eat and I eat when I am stressed.

How hard will it be to resist eating with the band. I am not afraid of the surgery, but I am afraid I will want to binge...

SOS help thanks

right now none of my clothes fit. I used to be 146, then 157 163 182 195 now 207 OMG I am so sick and sad.