Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hope this announcement finds you well and, of course, on track following your lap-band lifestyle. BariatricPal is designed to be a comprehensive community that you can use for support and information. Now, BariatricPal has another, exciting way to help out our members as you continue to pursue weight loss and health. What’s the big news? Our first book is out!

The Big Book on the Lap-Band!
That’s right! We’ve been working for a very long time on research, writing and editing the book, and you’re invited to read it! It’s called, “The Big Book on the Lap Band: Everything You Need to Know to Lose Weight and Live Well with the Adjustable Gastric Band,” written by (yours truly) Alex Brecher and Natalie Stein. I'm the founder of BariatricPal.com and a lap-band patient myself; Natalie is a nutritionist and experienced writer on weight loss and weight loss surgery topics.

A Complete Guide to the Lap-Band Life
The title says it all. The book is a guide from the beginning of the journey through life with the adjustable gastric band. These are just a few topics that are covered in the book.

• How obesity can harm you and millions of others.
  • Why it’s so tough to lose weight without surgery.
  • All about the lap-band: what it is, how it works and the surgical procedure.
  • Looking at the risks and benefits to decide whether the adjustable gastric band is for you.
  • Choosing a surgeon and preparing for surgery.
  • Your post-op aftercare program.
  • Your post-surgery recovery diet progression from liquids to solid foods.
  • The lap-band diet: healthy eating and weight control for life.
  • Starting and continuing an exercise program.
  • Life changes to expect after the lap-band surgery.
  • Using BariatricPal.com and other resources for support and information.

As you can see, the book is a great resource no matter where you are in your lap-band journey.

How You Can Get Your Copy

How can you get your hands on a copy of the book? It's available in Paperback and eBook versions directly from BariatricPal, as well as from Amazon, Barnes&Noble, iBooks and Kobo. All the information you need is HERE! Check it out and spread the word!

BariatricPal.com Members Tell Their Stories in the Book!
The
book doesn’t just have complete information about the lap-band surgery and journey. It’s also a compilation of real-life member stories told in their own words. Several of our BariatricPal members are featured in this book. They were kind enough to share their stories with us and now with you. These members are some of BariatricPal.com’s most active, so you might already know them from the boards. A huge, warm thank you to everyone who helped out – we couldn’t have done it without you!

Do You Want to Be in the Next Book?
If you didn’t get involved this time around but you might like to be featured in another book, contact me via our private messaging system. We’d love to hear from you and give you the scoop!

I'd love to hear your thoughts about the book! Let us know what you think when you check it out! We’re always delighted to hear from our members and we want to know what we can do to help you along your journey. Thanks for your support up through now, and enjoy “The Big Book on the Lap-Band!”

The Big Book on the Lap Band Book Summary

The Big Book on the Lap Band: Everything You Need to Know to Lose Weight and Live Well with the Adjustable Gastric Band is the definitive guide for your lap-band journey for weight loss. Like so many other patients who have struggled with obesity for many years, you may find that the lap-band is the tool you need to eat well and finally lose weight for good. You can’t make the journey all on your own, though, and that’s where the book comes in. It starts from square one and explains every step along the lap-band process. The Big Book on the Lap Band treats you with the respect you deserve and provides facts and analysis in simple language.

The Big Book on the Lap Band doesn’t just have facts and figures. Its discussions help you think for yourself and make reasoned decisions. It’s a source of advice and motivation, too. Some of the highlights of the book are stories from real-life lap-band patients, told in their words. You get to read their challenges, achievements and tips in each chapter of the book. If you’re ready to start learning about using the lap-band to get over your obesity, pick up a copy of The Big Book on the Lap Band and get reading!

Chapter 1: Introduction

Here you’ll learn about how dangerous obesity really is. Just a few of the health problems that it contributes to are type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, sleep apnea and osteoarthritis. It can make you depressed, and you might already be familiar with social stigma, such as people looking down on you, that comes with obesity. Even though obesity is dangerous and uncomfortable, one-third of Americans are obese and another third are overweight. That’s due, in large part, to an environment with too much fast food, too much junk food, not enough opportunities for exercise and too much time sitting around.

Chapter 2: Options for Losing Weight: Diets, Exercise, Weight Loss Drugs and Weight Loss Surgery

This chapter takes a look at your options for losing weight and helps you understand why they might not have worked for you before. You’ve probably tried a bunch of diets and possible a few exercise programs and weight loss drugs. Diets don’t usually work in the long term if you don’t make them true lifestyle changes; you’ll gain the weight right back if you try extreme diets such as low-carb diets or diets that only let you eat boxed meals or shakes. Exercise programs are healthy, but they don’t usually burn off enough calories to motivate you to continue them. And, weight loss drugs can be dangerous and are not necessarily effective. Weight loss surgery, or bariatric surgery, is an alternative option for losing weight and keeping it off. The major types in the United States are:

• Vertical sleeve gastrectomy
  • Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
  • Sleeve plication (or curvature plication)
  • Laparoscopic adjustable gastric band (brand name: Lap-Band)

Chapter 3: All about the Lap-Band

We all hear about the lap-band and have a vague idea that it’s a treatment for obesity – but do you really know much about it? This chapter clearly explains what the lap-band is and what it does. It’s a device that goes around the top portion of your stomach to form a stoma, or small upper pouch, above the band. The band helps you feel full faster because your stoma fills up faster than your entire original stomach did. A surgeon inserts the lap-band in a laparoscopic procedure, or minimally invasive surgery, which usually takes less than an hour. Along with the gastric band, there’s also an access port, which goes in the abdominal muscle next to your belly button, and a thin connection tube that connects the port to the band. Your surgeon adjusts the fill of your gastric band by injecting into the port a liquid solution which then goes through the tube into the band.

Chapter 4: Is the Lap-Band for You?

Now that you know what the lap-band is and how the surgical procedure works, it’s time to decide whether you really want it. This chapter talks about the risks of getting the lap-band, from problems that can occur during surgery to complications that can happen later on as you recover from surgery and lose weight on the lap-band diet. You can balance the drawbacks, or complications, against the potential benefits. Is the amount of weight you can expect to lose worth the risks of the surgery? The chapter helps you determine whether you meet the requirements for getting the band, and lists several possible reasons why the lap-band may not be the right choice for you.

Chapter 5: Planning Your Lap-Band Surgery

The focus after deciding to get the lap-band is on planning for your surgery. It’s a good idea to do all of the background research you can – online and by asking around – to learn more about the lap-band. Selecting a surgeon is an important step, and we give you tips about what to look for. You’ll also get to meet your healthcare team’s other members, such as a mental health professional and dietitian. financing is always a tough issue, but the chapter lays out your options and explains what the steps of getting reimbursed for insurance. Since each year thousands of patients go to Mexico to et the lap-band, the chapter also gives some tips on Medical Tourism.

Chapter 6: Preparing for Surgery and the Hospital

You’ve decided to get the lap-band, you’re excited about getting it done and now there’s a ton to do! Where do you even start? Take a deep breath, relax and dig into Chapter 6. You’ll meet with your surgeon and get to discuss any concerns you have. Also, you’ll get psychological testing and a battery of medical tests to make sure you’re ready for the surgery. A dietitian may work with you on a pre-surgery diet as well as some plans for your post-surgery lap-band diet. Other preparation for your surgery includes getting time off work, making sure your kitchen is well-stocked and packing for the hospital. We’ve got you covered – down to a list of items to bring and not to bring!

Chapter 7: Aftercare

Aftercare starts as you wake up from surgery and regain your awareness as the anesthesia wears off. You’ll feel pain in your abdomen, and walking around the hospital or your home can make you more comfortable. You may also feel nauseous. Your first food will be ice chips to suck on and swallowing can be difficult. This first week is all about recovery. It’s a tough week to get through, but persistence and support can go a long way. Most lap-band patients can return to work within a couple of weeks, and you can gradually add regular activities back into your life as long as your surgeon approves. The aftercare program includes regular visits to your surgeon during the first weeks, months and year after surgery. You might also see a dietitian. Support group meeting with other bariatric patients can keep you on track, too.

Chapter 8: Post-Surgery Diet

The first four to six weeks after your lap-band surgery are for focusing on recovery, not on weight loss. It’s critical at this time to follow your post-surgery diet so that you don’t risk having lap-band complications later. Lay a solid foundation now by getting used to measuring your portions and eating slowly. The first stage after surgery is the liquid diet; you can’t have any solid foods, and you’ll get some of your nutrients from Protein shakes. The second stage is the pureed foods diet; you can eat pureed or blended foods but nothing with chunks. The third stage is the semi-solid or soft foods phase. Drink plenty of Water throughout the day but not at meals. This chapter has food lists for each phase plus suggested meal plans and other tips to get you through these first several weeks.

Chapter 9: All about the Lap-Band Diet

You get to start the solid foods diet after you successfully complete the semi-solid phase. The solid foods phase is designed to be your long-term diet; it’ll help you lose weight and maintain your weight for as long as you choose to follow it. You can eat most foods on the lap-band diet, but stay away from super-stringy foods, such as asparagus, and sticky foods, such as caramels. The chapter has lists of foods and their serving sizes for each food group plus suggested meal plans and tips for following the lap-band diet. Since high-protein and healthy choices are so important, you’ll get to read about how to choose your foods. It’ll become natural if you practice it constantly!

Chapter 10: Starting and Keeping up with Your Physical Activity Program

Physical activity, or exercise, helps you burn calories and control your weight, and this chapter has a list of common activities and the calories you can burn doing them. Regular exercise has other benefits, too. It reduces your risk for the obesity-related chronic diseases discussed in Chapter 1, “Introduction,” and improves your mood. You can start, after getting your surgeon’s approval, with light exercise, such as slow walking or Water aerobics. Then progress as you are comfortable. In the chapter, you can find recommendations for amount and types of exercise and ways to fit it in when you’re short on time. Of course, sticking to an exercise program is even harder than starting one – and there are tons of tips in the chapter so that you are able to stick to your program – and enjoy it!

Chapter 11: What to Expect

The changes during the first year can be overwhelming – unless you’re prepared for them! The Big Book on the Lap Band gives you a nice overview of the changes to expect – keeping in mind, of course, that each individual’s lap-band experience is slightly different. During the first year as you stick to your lap-band diet, you can expect significant weight loss and changes in your body. You’ll probably feel better about yourself and notice that others treat you differently as you lose weight. Almost all lap-band patients have a few complications, even if they’re minor, so this chapter helps you recognize some of the more serious symptoms that may require a call to your surgeon. The chapter provides tips on staying motivated, too. Cosmetic surgery to remove extra skin is something that you may want to consider as you lose weight, and the chapter outlines the most common options.

Chapter 12: Online Communities and LapBandTalk.com

There’s always more to learn. You can read The Big Book on the Lap Band, call your surgeon and talk to all of the members of your support groups, and you’ll never know every detail about the lap-band that you’ll be wondering about eventually. That’s where online resources come in; there’s a nearly infinite array of sites that can answer your questions. LapBandTalk.com is an online community with more than 100,000 members, many of whom have been in your shoes and can provide advice from personal experience. Members are encouraging, too, so you can feel comfortable there. Membership is free and features include regular newsletters, a profile page with space for your photos and a blog, a surgeon directory with member ratings and reviews and a live chat room.

I bought this book before I was sure I wanted to get the LapBand.. it is very informational and helped me learn a great deal! Definitely recommend it!

Ordered my book today, after I look at it, and my personal story, I will donate it to the lending library at my surgeon's office. Excited!!!

Karen

Ordered my book today, after I look at it, and my personal story, I wil donate it to the lending library at my surgeon's office. Excited!!!Karen

Karen, what a great idea!!! :D

Just recieved my book. So excited about it! It has so many stories from old "friends" from lapband. I have been perusing it. I am happy to have it, and after reading it. I will pass it on. Thanks Alex and Natalie! It came just in time for Christmas. And today, my son-in-law had lapband surgery, too!

Karen

Alex, very good! I passed it to my son-in-law this evening, that is after I marked all the parts pertaining to myself! He said "that sure is a big book on lapband!"Karen

Can't wait to get it

Alex, very good! I passed it to my son-in-law this evening, that is after I marked all the parts pertaining to myself! He said "that sure is a big book on lapband!"Karen

I didn't realize how appropriate the Book's title was until I was holding a physical copy in my own hands :D

Alex,

Can I find this in Canada? Amazon.ca does not carry it.

Thanks

Alex' date='

Can I find this in Canada? Amazon.ca does not carry it.

Thanks[/quote']

We ship to Canada! Please see http://www.lapbandtalk.com/page/lapband_book.html .

At 61 years old, I had the Lap Band procedure 3 years ago and initially lost 40 pounds. Honestly, trying to get the Protein gms I need to have in a day in only 1/2 c servings per meal, was extremely frustrating. Initially, I attended all the hospital's support groups here in Richmond,VA and did regular exercise.However I never reached that 'sweet spot" I have heard happens. Then my medical health problems flared up and I was in constant pain from Arthritis and Fibromyalgia and became quickly discouraged. I also, learned how to "eat around the band", or in other words badly sabotaged the efforts I had made. Needless to say, I regained 20 lbs.

A few months ago, I had to have all the Fluid removed from my band due to esophageal and stomach ulcers( I was never instructed not to ever take NSAIDS), and was pretty discouraged, when I came across The Big Book on the Lap Band . I only wish I had had the book before I ever had the surgery. It has been a life-saver for me. I finally understand. It will work but I have to do the leg work, and keep the intake at 1/2C. Today I just got another fill. I'm at 2 1/2 cc. A far cry from the 9cc I had in before( and could still eat anything)! I had unwittingly stretched my band before. This time, it's like I just had the surgery. Instead of chastising myself for so much wasted time, I'm thrilled to have a great book to follow for FAQ's, recipes, and encouragement. I'm now back in the pool, measuring everything I eat, going to Over Eaters Anonymous(hey we're all compulsive eaters on this site or we wouldn't either had the surgery or are thinking about having it) , and the hospital support group.I 'm really looking forward to the new book being published.

At 61 years old' date=' I had the Lap Band procedure 3 years ago and initially lost 40 pounds. Honestly, trying to get the Protein gms I need to have in a day in only 1/2 c servings per meal, was extremely frustrating. Initially, I attended all the hospital's support groups here in Richmond,VA and did regular exercise.However I never reached that 'sweet spot" I have heard happens. Then my medical health problems flared up and I was in constant pain from Arthritis and Fibromyalgia and became quickly discouraged. I also, learned how to "eat around the band", or in other words badly sabotaged the efforts I had made. Needless to say, I regained 20 lbs.

A few months ago, I had to have all the Fluid removed from my band due to esophageal and stomach ulcers( I was never instructed not to ever take NSAIDS), and was pretty discouraged, when I came across The Big Book on the Lap Band . I only wish I had had the book before I ever had the surgery. It has been a life-saver for me. I finally understand. It will work but I have to do the leg work, and keep the intake at 1/2C. Today I just got another fill. I'm at 2 1/2 cc. A far cry from the 9cc I had in before( and could still eat anything)! I had unwittingly stretched my band before. This time, it's like I just had the surgery. Instead of chastising myself for so much wasted time, I'm thrilled to have a great book to follow for FAQ's, recipes, and encouragement. I'm now back in the pool, measuring everything I eat, going to Over Eaters Anonymous(hey we're all compulsive eaters on this site or we wouldn't either had the surgery or are thinking about having it) , and the hospital support group.I 'm really looking forward to the new book being published.[/quote']

Wow, thank you very much for such positive feedback. You've made my entire week....no month! :-)

I have had the book for a bit...has been very interesting. I already met the surgeon and had my all day session. Your book did help to prepare me for my first psychology session a few days ago. One more to go in one month.

Check page 268....you duplicated the table (table 17) for some reason. There should only be three rows instead of 6 (I work as a medical transcriptionist so cannot help but pick up on these kind of things).