Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excess Skin

So I'm interested about excess skin with the younger banders. I know people lose elasticity in skin over the years. We are young and (fingers crossed) maybe excess skin won't be so bad. Any input, any personal stories? I know everyone is different and such, just curious.

I am curious about this as well! I hoping working out along with lapband will help keep excess skin tight.

My understanding is that slower weight loss is the key to successfully shrinking the skin, so 2 pounds/week or so, along with exercise, should help keep you young folks tony. Now, for us older folks...I just have my fingers crossed and am learning Pilates!

Don't lose too fast. Be happy with slow and steady and keep up the exercise and maybe weight training.

I would think that it will depend on how long you have been fat. But, when I was in Weight Watchers, there was a young gal who lost 150 lbs in about a year, an dshe did not appear to have excessive skin. I think that you need to follow an exercise routine, too. Best wishes on you weightloss. karen

I'm 20, had my surgery in Feb of this year at age 19 and I've lost a little over 100 pounds. I think I will have a little excess skin but not much when it's all said and done.

I'm 20' date=' had my surgery in Feb of this year at age 19 and I've lost a little over 100 pounds. I think I will have a little excess skin but not much when it's all said and done.[/quote']

Awesome! Congrats and thanks for the hope.

I had the band put in in august 2010 and lost about 75 lbs. I had a significant amount of sagging skin on my abdomen, arms and inner thighs. I just had a Tummy Tuck, Lipo of the flanks and an arm lift, a little over a week ago. Plastic surgery for me was definitely necessary. I'll probably get my inner thighs done sometime next year.

Interesting topic.

Some people claim that the rate (how fast) we lose weight has absolutely no signifigance on if we will have extra skin or not (I think jean McMillan says this)

There is a member on this site who lost 100+ lbs and says he has no extra skin, he is in his 60's I believe. He said he thinks its because he was VERY active, drank a LOT and spent a lot of time in the sauna.

I am 23, had 100 lbs to lose, lost 46 of it now, and so far I don't really notice any excess skin. Fingers crossed that it will stay this way

Interesting topic.

Some people claim that the rate (how fast) we lose weight has absolutely no signifigance on if we will have extra skin or not (I think jean McMillan says this)

There is a member on this site who lost 100+ lbs and says he has no extra skin' date=' he is in his 60's I believe. He said he thinks its because he was VERY active, drank a LOT and spent a lot of time in the sauna.

I am 23, had 100 lbs to lose, lost 46 of it now, and so far I don't really notice any excess skin. Fingers crossed that it will stay this way[/quote']

Yeah I've heard both ways, it matters, it doesn't, idk

But to gave excess in your 60's? That's amazing. I do love a sauna so maybe I'll make sure I incorporate that.

Congrats on your weight loss!, I got my first fill yesterday and they said liquids for 2 days then regular foods., I'm excited to feel a difference since I didn't have any restriction before.

Good luck to you, hopefully I'll be so luckily

This is the one area that I'm like so in the dark on and hear varying view points, i wish it was more clearly if u do this u will not have excess skin (in. Perfect world)

I think it could be a factor of all things including genetics, types of food and beverages consumed, type of Vitamins And minerals, activity level, age, how fast weight is lost etc.

I'm scheduled for my for surgery 2/22. I must say, throughout this whole process, having excess skin is one of my biggest fears. I'm listening to all the suggustion people have posted and will keep them all in mind during my weight loss journey.

I'm worried about this too. Most insurances dont cover plastic surgery so I am hoping not to have much excess skin

Age is only one factor...how about

1) How long you were over weight

2) What was your heaviest weight

3) Where did you gain most of your weight

4) How did you lose weight (calories only, exercise), fast/slow?

5) Plain genetics

Don't put too much hope in another person's achievements, they will not define your own