Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Food Stuck

hi i had my band put in in march 12. ive had 3 fills. (the 1st 2 did nothing) i have a bit of restriction now. my last fill was 2 months ago, yet the last 2 weeks im struggling to get food down.is this normal? i dont think its the band. food seems to get stuck between the point of swallowing and reaching my stomach. i have to quit eating.i either wait along painful time for it to go down or i have to be sick. its like my oesophagus goes into lockdown. its especially embarrassing if in the company of others coz nobody knows ive got a band. im sure a couple of friends think im bulimic.i'm not.

i would like to know if anyone else has experienced the same?? why does it happen? and is this all just part of the band thing?

After you throw up you should STOP eating your esphogas swells go on liquids for at least the rest of the day. Each fill smaller bits more chewing.....

I had a lot of problems eating out and espcially with friends. You get to talking and you eat to fast, take bigger bites and don't wait long enough between bites. And you may be sipping Water or your drink.

If this continues you probably need some taken out. My friends all knew and so they were supportive and my husband would give me cues to slow down........and when that didn't work I just left the table took care of business and came back and asked for a box. And enjoyed the company and talk.

i have not yet had my surgery,, and from the things i read on here about the getting stuck episodes just scare the bajesus outtta me,, i was trying to practice last night eating spagetti... ha ha that didnt work at all,, i inhaled it,,, i have so many worries about this now,,PLUS i worry about loosing my hair, ,, i plan to do as my surgeon instructs me to do,,,, OK so back to the stuck thing,, this is going to be a gross question but i need to know,, when u said you went and took care of business did that mean u went and threw up? do u gag and throw up (as if you was sick with the flu like from your stomach) because if im sick (which is so very very rare) and when i do throw up u can hear me a mile away,,i heave and heave,,, so will i do that if i have a stuck episode? i know gross,,,or does it just come out real easy,,,, plz plz let me know this answer,,,im not hiding the fact that im having this surg but i dont wanna be in arestraunt and in bathroom heave hoing for everyone to hear lol

When food gets stuck which will happen to you sometime , You go to the bathroom you lean way over and it slides out, if not I do the 2 finger tickle it it comes up it is not suggested that you do that but it does work. You are not throwing up from your stomache , where there is digestive juices, you are throwing up from your band it taste like it did going down.

You know you are in trouble when you start to slime which is a build up of saliva the consistency of egg whites in your mouth, in my case this does not go away you need to let it slide out hopefully with the offending food. It is a quiet thing. Slime is your friend it is body trying to help you. Throwing up is removing food that can not go through the band.

from this you learn the size bites how much to chew and what food you just can not eat.. umm spaghetti will probably be one of them.

You do not heave and heave because you will slip your band ... a little fear never hurt you it's when we get cocky that we get into trouble meaning oh I can eat that... So thats your lesson on stuck, slime and vomiting. Have a good day..

When food gets stuck which will happen to you sometime , You go to the bathroom you lean way over and it slides out, if not I do the 2 finger tickle it it comes up it is not suggested that you do that but it does work. You are not throwing up from your stomache , where there is digestive juices, you are throwing up from your band it taste like it did going down.

You know you are in trouble when you start to slime which is a build up of saliva the consistency of egg whites in your mouth, in my case this does not go away you need to let it slide out hopefully with the offending food. It is a quiet thing. Slime is your friend it is body trying to help you. Throwing up is removing food that can not go through the band.

from this you learn the size bites how much to chew and what food you just can not eat.. umm spaghetti will probably be one of them.

You do not heave and heave because you will slip your band ... a little fear never hurt you it's when we get cocky that we get into trouble meaning oh I can eat that... So thats your lesson on stuck, slime and vomiting. Have a good day..

After you throw up you should STOP eating your esphogas swells go on liquids for at least the rest of the day. Each fill smaller bits more chewing.....

I had a lot of problems eating out and espcially with friends. You get to talking and you eat to fast, take bigger bites and don't wait long enough between bites. And you may be sipping Water or your drink.

If this continues you probably need some taken out. My friends all knew and so they were supportive and my husband would give me cues to slow down........and when that didn't work I just left the table took care of business and came back and asked for a box. And enjoyed the company and talk.

thank you for your reply, its very helpfull to know there's other people going through it with more experience. it can be a lonely road.x

thank you for your reply, its very helpfull to know there's other people going through it with more experience. it can be a lonely road.x

i have not yet had my surgery,, and from the things i read on here about the getting stuck episodes just scare the bajesus outtta me,, i was trying to practice last night eating spagetti... ha ha that didnt work at all,, i inhaled it,,, i have so many worries about this now,,PLUS i worry about loosing my hair, ,, i plan to do as my surgeon instructs me to do,,,, OK so back to the stuck thing,, this is going to be a gross question but i need to know,, when u said you went and took care of business did that mean u went and threw up? do u gag and throw up (as if you was sick with the flu like from your stomach) because if im sick (which is so very very rare) and when i do throw up u can hear me a mile away,,i heave and heave,,, so will i do that if i have a stuck episode? i know gross,,,or does it just come out real easy,,,, plz plz let me know this answer,,,im not hiding the fact that im having this surg but i dont wanna be in arestraunt and in bathroom heave hoing for everyone to hear lol

hi the experiences im having with getting food stuck is not really scary, just bloody annoying! i sit down with a healthy something to eat, two mouth fulls in it gets stuck.by the time ive sorted my self out and feel ready to continue, the food is cold and horrible.in the end i just admit defeat and give it to the dog!! the dog is gonna need a band at this rate! when you have to be sick,theres no heaving as such.its like saliva builds up on top of the stuck food, then you just know youve got to get to the loo.. sometimes just the saliva comes back up or saliva and food. it kind of crawls out (gross) no heaving, no noise, no pain, just inconvenient. i hope this helps, good luck with your surgery :)

Hi, I have had my band for 4 years. I am just rejoining the forum as I had a total unfill while I went through 2 pregnancies, now I am just having fills to help lose the weight I put on during this time(i Had lost 8 stone and was at goal) You will learn when your band is too tight, some days it will be a bit tighter for no apparent reason, I believe that this is to do with how much Fluid is in your body ( and why your band is tighter in the mornings) if you have a day like that eventually you will know how to eat on those days so as not to draw attention to yourself. You will also learn what foods cause you to get food stuck, it's different for everyone. You will also learn how to manAge the fact that you need to throw up and discreetly excuse yourself in social situations. It's all a learning curve and it will take around a year for your band to become a part of you and for you to know everything about it when this happens you won't even notice having to do things a certain way, it will be like second nature. Incidents of having you popping to the bathroom will become few and far between but they will probably still happen occasionally. X

I had a lot of problems eating out and espcially with friends. You get to talking and you eat to fast' date=' take bigger bites and don't wait long enough between bites. And you may be sipping Water or your drink.

If this continues you probably need some taken out. My friends all knew and so they were supportive and my husband would give me cues to slow down........and when that didn't work I just left the table took care of business and came back and asked for a box. And enjoyed the company and talk.[/quote']

I had my band 5 years and that still happens you have to eat very slowly and chew for England that will always happen I find it very difficult to eat out

I have to chime in- I had this same feeling happen to me a few months ago. I ha Fluid removed, went in and they checked my esophagus everything. I can only come to think that after get in stuck I was going back to eating to big of bites and causing more swelling. I have been focusing on small, small bites and if I get stuck then I go back to liquids or mushy food for the next 24 hours.

Hope this helps but might also see about getting a little Fluid removed and taking it easy. I didn't think it was the band either but haven't had that since paying closer attention.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk