Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Some Advice Please

Hi Everyone,

I joined this forum back in December 2005 just a few months before having my first lap band done. I now have my 3rd lap band and still feel at a loss. I stopped coming on here for a very long time cause I was just getting so down and frustrated with the whole thing. My first band slipped and I had that one replaced. The second one broke inside me, the buckle broke and it took me so many appointments with the surgeon to try and listen to me when I was telling him that it wasn't right. Now I have the third one in and that was done almost 2 years ago. I have gotten no where in the whole time that I have had all these bands put in. I feel like giving up but at the same time I don't. A couple of days ago I got a fill done, it's too tight. I can't even swallow a drink properly without having to bring it back up. I have had pureed Soups and opti slim shakes since getting the last fill but most of those end up coming out again. I read somewhere that a guy had a fill and it was too tight for him but he stuck it out for a couple of weeks and because he had lost a little weight,from not being able to consume hardly anything, it made his band that little less tight for him and now he is fine. This is what I am wanting to do aswell, see if I can stick it out for a couple of weeks and see if it changes. Has anyone else done this and has it worked? I've always been on a constant battle to lose weight and no matter what I do it just doesn't want to come off. I admit I don't always exercise but when I did I still wasn't having much luck.I'm hoping there might be others that have had a fill that was too tight but stuck it out and it losened up a bit.

Thank you.

have you thought of having gastric plication done? I watched a video a while ago where they did more than just a sleeve. they basically stitched the stomach so much that it gave the person a small pouch. like what you'd get with the band or bypass it's completely irreversible they don't cut anything or rearrange anything they just take the stomachs ability to stretch away.

Hi Brandice,

I don't know much about the gastric plication, I don't think I've ever heard of it actually. I still have hope with this band, although its now been over 6 years since I had my first one done and I'm only not alot lighter than when I first started.I might ask my doctor when I go back to see him next and see what he says though. Thank you for letting me know about that Brandice :)

If you cannot even drink properly, you need to go back in. There is a difference between being a little too tight and not being able to stay hydrated. You will end up in the hospital if you are not getting enough liquids down from dehydration. I would recommend signing yourself up on myfitnesspal (on your phone or I believe it is online too) and logging what you are eating. It is very unfortunate what you have been through; however, you need to do your part to support the band. Many of the "slips" can be avoided as they are often caused by either throwing up too much or over eating. Were you sticking to around 1200 calories per day and no more than one cup of food per meal? I am not trying to judge, just offering suggestions.

But seriously, contact your doctor if you are not getting liquids down properly. That is nothing to mess around with.

Best of luck to you and kudos for not giving up.

Hi Brandice,

I don't know much about the gastric plication, I don't think I've ever heard of it actually. I still have hope with this band, although its now been over 6 years since I had my first one done and I'm only not alot lighter than when I first started.I might ask my doctor when I go back to see him next and see what he says though. Thank you for letting me know about that Brandice :)

look it up on youtube they have a ton of videos

Hi New Dawn 2012,

I have had so many problems with these bands and it all started when the first one slipped ofcourse but that band worked the best aswell, I was eating, and still am, all the right foods and the weight was coming off and I was so happy seeing the results.......until it slipped. Ever since then I have had more drama's with the newer bands and haven't changed my eating habits either. I was watching what I was eating and I still do. It's the weekend here now so I will have to wait till Monday to call my surgeon so I can see about going in and getting a tiny bit taken out, hopefully just that tiny bit will make the difference. I guess I am just trying to look for ways that this band will work for me. Keep hoping I guess. Thanks for your replies ladies :)

Hi Phili

Its a shame to hear about your unfortunate journey with your bands. I agree you need to speak to your surgeon as soon as possible if you are not able to swallow fluids. If you were to give up now what will it cost you in the long term in all areas of your life? What is it costing you emotionally right now? In order to get a better result have you exhausted absolutely every single avenue that you possibly can in regards to losing your weight?

Many people, not all, see the band as the lifeline to losing weight. Many of us forget that it is a tool that we still need to learn how to work with. If you weren't in a constant battle with yourself about your weight, what would you be doing instead? I'm asking you these questions not in a way of intimidating you but to help you think a little deeper as sometimes the answer as we know it, is not always the core answer that lays within us.

Always here if you want to have a chat. :rolleyes:

Kye

Hi Kye,

Thanks for your reply :)

Believe me when I say I have tried all sorts of things with the band. After having it now for 7 years I kind of am stale about it. I don't give up though. I feel like it sometimes but don't give up as in pig out on bad food. Won't do that. Am actually seeing my surgeon again this week and will talk to him again but after 7 years and 3 bands and more visits to the hospital for repairs on them and so on it can be a put off in still wanting to do the doctor visits but I won't go pigging out on bad foods.

If I wasn't in a constant battle with my weight for so long what would I do? To be totally honest, I've always battled, even before the bands started so I wouldn't know what I'd do really. Forgotten how it was before struggles with weight, been a fatty all my life really hehe.

Thanks again for your reply Kye :D

have you thought of having gastric plication done? I watched a video a while ago where they did more than just a sleeve. they basically stitched the stomach so much that it gave the person a small pouch. like what you'd get with the band or bypass it's completely irreversible they don't cut anything or rearrange anything they just take the stomachs ability to stretch away.

My dr was talking about this a while back. Never heard of it before or since. You have inspired me to look on you tube now. Do you know of any one who has had it done?

My dr was talking about this a while back. Never heard of it before or since. You have inspired me to look on you tube now. Do you know of any one who has had it done?

Many people in here have it. They call it the I band because they have both. I only have the plication and think its a miracle lol... Had it done in dec12 and am 7 PDs away from goal! Cheznol has one, I can't remember the other people's name;)

I've had it done! Fantastic! There are a lot of people here with both or just one. They call it an I band with both

What do they do? I just have a band so how does the plication work with the band? Very interested.

Philli, I only have a band - no plication - and I'm what you might call a successful bander. You don't need plication to help you lose, though I'm sure it's easier with it.

In my opinion being at the right fill level is super important. The right level is when you can eat solid Protein first, veg second, carbs last of an amount that is equivalent to about a cup of food and it keeps you full for 3 - 4 hours.

If you're struggling to hold down liquids, you are too tight. And yes, even a little bit out can make the difference. The difference between too loose and green zone can be as small as 0.1cc (which is why I don't get people insisting on aggressive fills because you can easily push past the green zone into the red zone)

The band works best in the green zone. For some people that last fill that takes them to green zone may be uncomfy for a week because the fill will make the stoma swell and therefore make you feel over-filled, but it should ease AND you need to be able to drink at least. And bringing it back up is just irritating your stoma even more so the swelling never goes down.

My advice is to get a small amount taken out. When the swelling in your stoma eases in 2 weeks, go back and get half the amount taken out put back in. Wait a month, and if you still are getting hungry in under 3 hours after eating solid food, then go get a little more. Slow and steady from here on in. You're close to the green zone, you just need to find it.

What do they do? I just have a band so how does the plication work with the band? Very interested.

Ask chez or Carolina girl because they have both. I only have the plication so I'm not 100% sure what the plication does for the band. I heard it helps with slippage