Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

We need a place where we can support each other through our "more than most" journey. Just as turtles don't get much out of hearing us talking about fast we're losing, maybe it would give us a nice break from "I'm getting banded because I need to lose 60 lbs".

I think we have our own unique challenges, expectations, baggage, etc. -- and we need our own little niche to support eachother. We all have a very long journey ahead of us, and need to band together. :)

*waves hello* Hiyas, I'll start this thread for us bigguns.

I started at 307, with a BMI of 51. Goal weight 130lbs. That is a loss of an overweight person my height (177lbs). I'm only 3 pounds from the -50 mark and that's great, but when I look at my body I get so down! I'm still so big! In my head, I've never been this big! But when I see myself in a mirror or window reflection, I just want to crawl into a hole. I have to admit, looking at 260 pounds of me is much easier than it was to look at 307 pounds of me.

What have I done to myself and will I ever be normal again? Is 130 a reality? It seems so surreal. I'm not young anymore. Will I be old and wrinkly and saggy? The list of fears and worries is endless. *sighs* I'll hush now. :)

Thanks for starting this thread Wheetsin. :)

My consultation weight according to my surgeon's scale (which I still protest!!) was 370. On the same day. PCP's scale was 347. :) I know I gained weight before surgery, but wasn't weighed on his scale -- but through tracking numbers at home I estimate I gained 12#, so a rough surgery weight of 382. I'm just a hair over 5'10, so my starting BMI would have been 54.8.

I'm just over 5'10, depending on which nurse does the height thing, and I have a large frame so I can carry more weight than what people would guess (fortunately!). I would be thrilled to see about 180, which is a 200# loss.

I have not been overweight my whole life, but the smallest I've been in the last 10 years was around 220 - 230. At that weight, I wore a comfortable 18 or loose 20, and was comfortable with how I looked, but wanted to lose another 40 or 50 pounds, so that synchs up very well with my personal goal of 180. I have not yet asked my surgeon or PCP what they would consider an ideal weight range for me, but my psychologist (also a MD) during pre-ops suggested 160 - 180.

I'm 15 days post-op and to date I have lost about 43 pounds. I know that will slow, and slow hard -- that's my weightloss pattern. I'm also a sporatic loser, so I may go two weeks with nothing, and then drop 11 lbs for good overnight.

I have a looong journey ahead of me. :)

I am 5' 1" with a large bone structure. Starting BMI was over 50. Highest weight 327 9/2004. Day of Dr. intitial visit 5/2005 315. Day of surgery 7/29/2005 294. As of today (home scale) 268 3/16/06. My goal weight is to be 140-150lbs.

well I am 5'7 and my starting wieght was 296 day of surgery 11-2004. I cant remember what my BMI was....i know its down A LOT....I didnt have a goal weight, until here recently ...I am trying my best to get to 140-150lbs,..never been skinny so I am unsure what my body will do, my bone structure is medium......good luck everyone, and keep up the good work.

:dance: I had my first fill the 15th and from the first time I saw the surgeon (mid Jan), till then I am down exactly 30 lbs ( 337 to 307.) I am 5'6 with the starting BMi about 54. This morning I am at 299.5! I made my first mini goal! From here on out tho- i expect it will be slower. It amazes me just how good i have been feeling and there is already a difference in the amount of pain in my knees. Will admit that the amount of excersise this week has been way up- 2 snow storms in one week for a total of about 18 inches that has to be cleared from walks and driveway definately helps! I have no idea how much I will be able to loose- just want to keep going till I am happy with how i look and feel! Think 150 is possible??? Will settle for 175. I am definately in it for the long haul!:clap2:

I'm wanna be 350 pounds :)

that's my mini goal right now too!!:clap2:

made mini goal now I'm in the 330's:heh:

good luck to all and hang in there, I am pre op and cant wait to loose this anchor I have been carrying all my life

I started with a BMI of 60.1. I weighed 350 lbs. My current BMI is 48.9 & my current weight is 280. I am 5"4' & I have a medium to large bone structure. I have been banded just over a year & have had a 70 lb loss!

I weighed 311 lbs./BMI 55.1 when I started this journey. I dieted my way down to 261 and when I started to gain weight again, I scheduled my lap-band surgery. In 22 weeks I've lost 11lbs, so "for the long haul" might be an understatement.

There's nothing like having a goal weight that's most people's starting weight! I know that all too well!

Is there anything more depressing than updating your ticker to reflect weight gain?

Kryssa- Thats why I don't do it. So 11 pounds that's nice. How long did it take you to lose 50 pounds and how did you do it? Do you have restriciton yet?

You go Cynthia and Jessi you rock with 70 pounds off!!.

Wheetsin thanks for starting this thread. Utilize these early days post op to lose all that you can. Walk, walk, walk, devlope some good eating habits. Continue with meal repaclement in mind, Protein shakes and bars, once you are on full foods again.

Everyone is doing a great job!!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I got divorced? I had been eating out at restaurants twice a day six days a week for 10 years when my hubby decided to leave me for another woman. For the next 9 months I had no money for anything, and many nights if my kids wanted seconds at dinner I didn't eat at all. I used to eat 2 lean pockets at lunchtime and that was it for the whole day. So..the I guess the short answer is I stopped eating.

I finally got restriction about a week ago. It's awesome! I know I'm not nearly as tight as others talk about being, but that's ok too. I'm losing a consistant 1/2 lb a week, but sometimes seeing others' rapid weight loss is so depressing that I've been known to avoid the boards for days at a time.

WOW I understand but your scrafice turned into something positive. I bet you feel awesome. So what do you eat now? Do you exercise, you know move your body?