Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Does A Slip Feel Like?

Hi- for those of you who've experienced a slip, what did it feel like?

I'm having some chest pain in the last 3 days. I thought it was because I was overeating some, but today I was determined to stop the second I felt uncomfortable and realized I was in pain most of the day... It feels like something's squeezing me, not sharp shooting pain, rather a dull ache that's worse if I lie on my stomach and better if I lie on my back. I've eaten very little over the course of the whole day today (1c cottage cheese, 1/2c raspberries, less than 1c quinoa and veggies between). I tried having a Protein Shake and feel it going down ok... Any thoughts? Obviously I'll call my dr tomorrow, but you guys usually know what's up...

Thanks for any advice.

I would really hesitate to think you've slipped since surgery was not too long ago, but you do never know. I wouldn't think you'd be tight enough or overeating.

I would also consider gall bladder issues, but like you said, consult with the Dr :)

I hope all is well.

Don't think it's gall bladder because it's in the middle of my chest...

A slip can happen at any point post surgery from 1 week to years out. The only symptom I had was bad reflux. I mean bad reflux that woke me up. I could eat more then I could before also.

Also you could have stretched your pouch. I would eat mushie or liquids for 48hrs and if not better or not able to eat at all then call doc.

Hi, I hope that you are feeling better. My gallbladder attacks were in the middle of my chest right below my breasts, sometimes between my breasts. It would hurt like I was being stabbed with a HOT knife thru to my back.

Now, back to the question at hand. When you have a slip, you will ore than likely have night coughs and reflux. You will not, usually, be able to keep down cottage cheese, or any solids. Water will usually go thru, but coffee might come up. Call your surgeon if you are still in pain!

Best wishes, Karen

Let us know what the Dr. says.

Thanks guys... I'm still uncomfortable, but doing a little better. I took a whole bunch of Tums and switched to liquids, and that has definitely helped, but I'm eating some Soup now and I'm back to hurting again...

Called the doctors office and they think I have some food that's stuck in the pouch that won't go down. I'm going in Friday to have them unfill some, see if it goes down, and then refill it again.

Like someone said, the only symptom of a slip that I had was severe reflux at night. So bad! And I could also eat a little more than usual. I'd always heard that if you slipped, you wouldn't be able to keep down anything - not true for all people.

I'm now working on my 2nd slip (confirmed next week). Am I still happy with my band? Absolutely. Do I wish it would quit causing me problems? Absolutely

Good luck!

Marci

My band slipped last week after a bout of the stomach bug, I could not keep anything down, not even liquids. And I also had a pain in the center of my chest below where i could "feel" my band before the slip. It was horrible. I slipped sunday night 7/15 and was in surgery tues 7/17 at 10am to get it fixed.

What causes a band to slip?

I had a slip. It felt like hell. I started vomitting blood. It looked dark brown and like it had coffee grinds. I couldn't keep anything down, not even Water. I got severely dehydrated and was close to organ failure...on top of that I was in France when it happened and had to fly back in pain. I spent more time in the bathroom than my seat.

That's how it felt for me.

A lot of times, the surgeon can unfill, and it goes back into shape. After my 2nd slip, the band did not go back, so I was also scheduled for surgery. He was afraid he would have to remove it and make me wait for a month to have it replaced. But,(thank you God), he was able to reposition it and did not have to remove it. I have had no further problem s since and that was back in November 2011. I hope that you are as lucky. Slips can happen from a lot of vomiting. Mine, like AmyD102, happened from a stomach virus,and I was also, dehydrated. Best wishes to anyone who might get a slip. Karen

I have had issues with fills for months now. They put one in and then have to take it back out. Last week he finally had me come in for an xray and 2 of the 3 stitches pulled out and my band slipped down a bit. So, my pouch is bigger. I am not in pain and I don't have any acid reflux. The only think I notice is I have been able to eat alot more. I've gained 10 pounds. So not happy! I go on 8/10 to have my band replaced. Hopefully I'll be back on track after that.