Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eroded Band Removed After 6 Years

I got my band 5/31/2004, I have never had problems with it very seldom something would get stuck because I wasn't paying attention to something I was eating or I ate too large of a piece dof food. My question to other banisters is how many people that have had to have theirs removed? I started having problems aboiut. 1 1/2 months ago. It started with a tightness in my chest and food started getting stuck a and therew was some vomiting happening as soon as I ate. I went to my surgeon and he took out 2 cc's of a 4 cc band. In 2 weeks I went back on July 3rd for an endoscopy, as soon as he did it I had to have emergency surgery. Dr. Fegelman said I had a very badly eroded band. He told me that he had attended seminar recently and they were saying as much as 80% of banisters have been getting erosion. Mine was eroded in my stomach and my insurance did not cover the first surgery. Is there anyone out there that has had a eroded band? I have never had such pain,my surgeon said it is some from the gas but mostly from the erosion in my stomach. The worst part is a night because you cannot get comfortable to sleep. I have been off work for almost 1 week now and it doesn't look like I will be going back soon. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Kim

I got my band 5/31/2004, I have never had problems with it very seldom something would get stuck because I wasn't paying attention to something I was eating or I ate too large of a piece dof food. My question to other banisters is how many people that have had to have theirs removed? I started having problems aboiut. 1 1/2 months ago. It started with a tightness in my chest and food started getting stuck a and therew was some vomiting happening as soon as I ate. I went to my surgeon and he took out 2 cc's of a 4 cc band. In 2 weeks I went back on July 3rd for an endoscopy, as soon as he did it I had to have emergency surgery. Dr. Fegelman said I had a very badly eroded band. He told me that he had attended seminar recently and they were saying as much as 80% of banisters have been getting erosion. Mine was eroded in my stomach and my insurance did not cover the first surgery. Is there anyone out there that has had a eroded band? I have never had such pain,my surgeon said it is some from the gas but mostly from the erosion in my stomach. The worst part is a night because you cannot get comfortable to sleep. I have been off work for almost 1 week now and it doesn't look like I will be going back soon. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Kim

hi Kim

It looks like you wrote this quite a while ago. Did you have your band removed?

I did not have erosion, but I had my band removed after 3 years.

I'm sorry yours eroded and that you were in such pain. I hope all is well with you now. What did you decide to do in terms of continuing to lose weight?

I am staying low carb and gluten free. Soon I will cut out sugar as well. I felt best when eating gluten free, dairy free, and sugar free. Plus I naturally lost weight eating foods outside those categories and upping consistent exercise. We're all different with what works!

Take good care.

~hiddn

I am removing my band as it has eroded...but I am scared of putting on weight. I will go for sleeve a few months later.will I put on weight immediately?

I am removing my band as it has eroded...but I am scared of putting on weight. I will go for sleeve a few months later.will I put on weight immediately?

You don't have to put weight on immediately. Its not an automatic thing, though lots of people do gain.

You may need to be extremely vigilant about what you put in your mouth and include exercising consistently.

If you continue to eat the way you ate, while banded, you will be better off weight-wise.

I had my band removed and am continuing to lose weight. I am staying away from sugar, gluten, and dairy. I eat mostly Protein and vegetables. And I walk a mile or more 3 times a week. I am far from perfect, but still either losing or holding.

My suggestion is that you try to eat as though you still had the band. Pretend! That has helped me quite a bit.

For me, (and I can't speak for you) I know if I treat myself to a hamburger and fries (which I did not eat while banded), it won't just be once. I'll want it and want it and want it.

I hope this helps!

~hiddn

Well it has been 16 months since my band was removed and $100,00.00 later I have no band and no sleeve. After almost dying from an eroded band, my surgeon said no to weight loss surgery. I have gained 10 pounds back which terrifies me, but at least I'm alive. The band was not what the company said it would be.

Well it has been 16 months since my band was removed and $100,00.00 later I have no band and no sleeve. After almost dying from an eroded band, my surgeon said no to weight loss surgery. I have gained 10 pounds back which terrifies me, but at least I'm alive. The band was not what the company said it would be.

I'm so glad you wrote again!

Wow, what a horrible experience(s) you have had. Very expensive, too.

Gaining 10 pounds in 16 months isn't bad. With what you went thru, I think you've done pretty well.

Are you feeling ok, now? Back at work and doing ok?

How long did it take for your stomach to heal from the erosion?

I really appreciate that you came on and followed up. I was wondering what your outcome was.

What are you doing for weight loss? I had my band removed in Sept of this year and don't have that part figured out, yet.

Im doing pretty well, though with the holidays coming and food (mostly desserts) all over the place at work, it's getting harder to stay on track.

Are you done with the surgeon or do you still have to go in for follow up at all?

Take good care and thank you again!

~hiddn

It took almost a year for my stomach to heal. I had terrible intestinal issues along with not feeling well at all, but that may have been from the peritonitis I had. I was off work for 2 months, went home from hospital on IV antibiotics and anti fungal drip. Also on a Pic line for 1 month. Wasn't aloud to have food or Water for 1 month. Only aloud to suck on ice chips. I feel much better after the year has passed, but still afraid of gaining weight. I am doing nothing as far as dieting. I am trying to eat like I did when I had the band. One good thing is that I have a wheat allergy, so no breads, Cookies or cakes unless they are gluten free. I just wish I had known about band erosion before hand. I knew about slippage and not eating right and getting stuck, but nothing prepared me for what happened.

Oh I forgot about the surgeon. He no longer does surgery anymore. He was a top lapband surgeon in my area decided to go work at a research job. He was an excellent surgeon.

how did you know it was eroding? I was told it would never erode and would still be intact long after I was dust.Now Im scared,symptoms??

Hi Nancy, I didn't know it was eroding. It first started with chest pains, and I felt sick even putting anything in my mouth but nothing would come up. I went to a cardiologist and he said it was not my heart, but he suggested I see my lapband surgeon. I went to him and he ordered a barium swallow. I asked the technician what he saw and he said it looked complicated, I knew that wasn't good. My surgeons office called me the next day and set up an endoscopy for July 3rd 2012, he did the endoscopy and from there did emergency surgery because it had eroded through my esophagus into my stomach. Went home the next day and 6 days later with 10 pounds of poison from the peritonitis was back in the hospital in critical condition. What a long journey, but things are much better now....:)

thanks for all the replies...honestly....none of us knew about band erosion....what do you all think of sleeve...i do need to loose weight as I have severe arthritis..