Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Substituting Other Addictions For Comfort/happiness Instead Of Food

I am sure I am not the only one dealing with this issue. And it is one that I am working on with my personal psychologist to try and get to a point where I won't feel like I need to do it any longer.

What I am substituting is THINGS. No drugs, no drinking, but specific items I shop for. Perfume is the hugest one. I will buy bottle after bottle of it, either in stores, on Ebay, etc. I have an entire two three shelf bathroom cupboard filled with nothing but perfumes, body sprays, perfumed lotions, perfumed oils. In terms of practicality, i will never go through as many bottles as I have in one lifetime. And not only in the bathroom, I have a basket filled with them in our car, maybe ten bottles but still, they are there. The perfume issue was one that started coming up for me maybe 5 or 6 years ago, but has gotten more frequent after my lapband surgery. Amazingly, I have only had a few bottles so far lose potency or change scent to the point where I had to discard them. I definitely do discard them when that occurs.

One of my others is nail polish. Holy moley the nail polish. I have a storage bin in my bedroom stuffed full of them and lately the cover keeps popping off it is so full so I am going to have to buy a bigger container. Yipe.

And the latest one... earrings and necklaces. I have been going crazy buying them up and this is in addition to the dozens of pairs I already owned previously, and after inheriting a huge upright armoire full of lovely jewelry from an Aunt that passed on.

And here is the thing, I actually do enjoy these things and I do use them often, and at this point, I really don't feel comfortable giving them up. I adore my perfumes and hate seeing even one leave this house. But maybe eventually with my therapists help, I can at least curb it somewhat. Right now though, as much as I can see it as a problem if I continue to get worse, I enjoy having these things around me and using them. I did get rid of many perfumes/body lotions/body mists that belonged to my Aunt when I inherited alot of her things (clothing, the jewelry, etc etc). I donated them to our local thrift store. I'd also never get rid of the jewelry that belonged to my Aunt, she was such a huge part of my life and I feel a connection to her when I wear the jewelry that I know she once wore, it means the world to me knowing she wanted me to have them. Many of those in turn also belonged to my Grandmother, and my Aunt inherited them when she passed. Many of these jewelry pieces will eventually get passed down to my own Nieces when they are older.

My therapist tells me that it is actually a common thing for WLS patients, when you give up the addiction that is food, something else often takes its place.

At least I am not spending vast amounts of money on it, I tend to buy things at discounts, on sale, and so forth. I at least don't go for the expensive choices.

I will also mention that my Mother happens to be a hoarder, as was my Aunt.

I mentioned the clothing, that is another one. Not that I am buying much these days, not since I acquired my Aunt's clothing. Many I gave away, bag after bag given away of things that were too big for me, but I did keep dozens of pieces, mostly tops and pants and I have so many that they are currently stacked high in piles on my dresser in addition to the ones jammed into my bedroom closet, and I need to buy a large upright cupboard to keep them in. I have bought a few shirts here and there and some summer shorts, even though I definitely did not need them.

I was curious what others views on this are and would like to hear from others going through the same issues as well.

Happy day to everyone...

I know that I switched my addiction from nicotine when I quit smoking to brownies. Most people laugh at that but really don't understand that I would sit down and eat half a pan at a time. I needed something to replace the serotonin and I didn't want anti depressants because while they helped with my postpartum depression, they made me feel like a zombie. So now I have switched to these addictions, and along with my thyroid crapping out, I gained about 80 lbs or so over the last 5 years.

So now I am working on my food issues before my surgery hoping that once I get banded it will be a bit easier for me to handle. And I really hope that I don't switch my addition from brownies to something else, unless it's exercise..lol.

I am sure I am not the only one dealing with this issue. And it is one that I am working on with my personal psychologist to try and get to a point where I won't feel like I need to do it any longer.

What I am substituting is THINGS. No drugs' date=' no drinking, but specific items I shop for. Perfume is the hugest one. I will buy bottle after bottle of it, either in stores, on Ebay, etc. I have an entire two three shelf bathroom cupboard filled with nothing but perfumes, body sprays, perfumed lotions, perfumed oils. In terms of practicality, i will never go through as many bottles as I have in one lifetime. And not only in the bathroom, I have a basket filled with them in our car, maybe ten bottles but still, they are there. The perfume issue was one that started coming up for me maybe 5 or 6 years ago, but has gotten more frequent after my lapband surgery. Amazingly, I have only had a few bottles so far lose potency or change scent to the point where I had to discard them. I definitely do discard them when that occurs.

One of my others is nail polish. Holy moley the nail polish. I have a storage bin in my bedroom stuffed full of them and lately the cover keeps popping off it is so full so I am going to have to buy a bigger container. Yipe.

And the latest one... earrings and necklaces. I have been going crazy buying them up and this is in addition to the dozens of pairs I already owned previously, and after inheriting a huge upright armoire full of lovely jewelry from an Aunt that passed on.

And here is the thing, I actually do enjoy these things and I do use them often, and at this point, I really don't feel comfortable giving them up. I adore my perfumes and hate seeing even one leave this house. But maybe eventually with my therapists help, I can at least curb it somewhat. Right now though, as much as I can see it as a problem if I continue to get worse, I enjoy having these things around me and using them. I did get rid of many perfumes/body lotions/body mists that belonged to my Aunt when I inherited alot of her things (clothing, the jewelry, etc etc). I donated them to our local thrift store. I'd also never get rid of the jewelry that belonged to my Aunt, she was such a huge part of my life and I feel a connection to her when I wear the jewelry that I know she once wore, it means the world to me knowing she wanted me to have them. Many of those in turn also belonged to my Grandmother, and my Aunt inherited them when she passed. Many of these jewelry pieces will eventually get passed down to my own Nieces when they are older.

My therapist tells me that it is actually a common thing for WLS patients, when you give up the addiction that is food, something else often takes its place.

At least I am not spending vast amounts of money on it, I tend to buy things at discounts, on sale, and so forth. I at least don't go for the expensive choices.

I will also mention that my Mother happens to be a hoarder, as was my Aunt.

I mentioned the clothing, that is another one. Not that I am buying much these days, not since I acquired my Aunt's clothing. Many I gave away, bag after bag given away of things that were too big for me, but I did keep dozens of pieces, mostly tops and pants and I have so many that they are currently stacked high in piles on my dresser in addition to the ones jammed into my bedroom closet, and I need to buy a large upright cupboard to keep them in. I have bought a few shirts here and there and some summer shorts, even though I definitely did not need them.

I was curious what others views on this are and would like to hear from others going through the same issues as well.

Happy day to everyone...[/quote']

Mine has become purses. My logic on why i chose purses is bc no matter my size i can use them. I have bought around 6 in the last few weeks.

Mine has become purses. My logic on why i chose purses is bc no matter my size i can use them. I have bought around 6 in the last few weeks.

well I see I am not alone on this one then. So how many purses in total do you think that you own and did that only start following the banding or were you into it before as well?

well I see I am not alone on this one then. So how many purses in total do you think that you own and did that only start following the banding or were you into it before as well?

Nope strictly after banding. I'm not even a purse women lol. I've only been banded for a month so i think it has a lot to do with me mourning food in a way. I would talk to someone but I myself am a SA counselor. So seeing my work associates as therapist instead of 'friends' might be hard. Haha

Tracy,

We all know the feeling of buying something that you don't have to worry about the fit. I love to shop as it make me feel good and can be an escape switch to socks it cheaper!

Lisa

I have a pretty severe food addiction but I also have a habit of buying way too many movies. I love them so much! Now that I have been banded 6/7/12 I found I was buying more than I usually do...so at least five per week now. It could be because I am bored but now that I noticed i was doing it I am backing off some. I think if we try to be aware of what we do and try to exercise restraint things will work out. :)