Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Smoking Cigarettes With The Band...

Views
Started by LULU TATT, Apr 16, 2012 9:31 PM
smoking cigarettes lapband
51 replies to this topic
51 replies to this topic

LULU TATT

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Starting Weight: 391 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 15 lbs
  • Current Weight: 376 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 180 lbs
  • BMI: 62.6
Posted April 18, 2012 - 1:31 AM

I was banded 10/27/2011

you still smoke???

Jlewis229

Bariatric Guru

• Surgeon: Thomas Borland
  • Surgery Date: Jul 2012
  • Starting Weight: 274 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 104 lbs
  • Current Weight: 170 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 165 lbs
  • BMI: 25.1
Posted June 24, 2012 - 2:39 AM

I smoke and filled out my paperwork and said I didn't bc I was afraid they would not band me.

I wasn't sure and hate lying so I had my grandma call the Dr's office and ask a few questions as if she was interested in the procedure and also asked about the smoking, and sure enough he won't do it If you smoke.

So I figured that if I bought an electronic cigarette and used it on days when I go to their office and make sure I wear smoke free clothes then they can't smell it on me, I also wash my hands and use a pumice stone to keep my fingers from yellowing so that their is no sign of smoking their either. With all of this I should not be ousted as a smoker!

My friend has a script for Chantix that I am getting tomorrow and will start it tomorrow because I really would love to quit and if I can AWESOME! If only before surgery awesome too but would love to quit forever!

Wish me luck with the Chantix because I want it to work. I know a lot of people that have had great success and are usually smoke free by the 5th or 6th day!

Jlewis229

Bariatric Guru

Posted June 24, 2012 - 2:44 AM

Just to be clear-I have been prescribed Chantix I just never got a chance to fill it because of losing my insurance and she decided she was going to wait to stop smoking and would fill it on her insurance so I didn't have to go go doc and get new script and pay full price.

jiggleless

Novice

• Starting Weight: 240 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 0 lbs
  • Current Weight: 240 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 125 lbs
  • BMI: 42.5
Posted June 24, 2012 - 1:42 PM

Really just chew the nicotine gum instead. You will still get the nico fix and no one needs to know. I quit smoking cold turkey and frankly it drove me near insanity. The gum makes quitting so much more doable!

Jlewis229

Bariatric Guru

Posted June 24, 2012 - 8:54 PM

Really just chew the nicotine gum instead. You will still get the nico fix and no one needs to know. I quit smoking cold turkey and frankly it drove me near insanity. The gum makes quitting so much more doable!

I've tried the gum and patches before and honestly it just doesn't work for me! Forget cold turkey!

I got the chantix and started it today. I'm not telling them that's for sure. Hopefully I'll be quit by Sunday. We shall see how it goes!

jflo

• Surgeon: Daniel Fore
  • Starting Weight: 342 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 82 lbs
  • Current Weight: 260 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 180 lbs
  • BMI: 40.7
Posted June 25, 2012 - 8:04 AM

Hi all! I was a very heavy smoker for 14 years! I never listened to anyone about the risks and all that blah blah blah and people who haven't ever smoked don't understand! However with that bein said you have to want to stop smokin! I tried everything under the sun to quit and nothing, finally I decided to quit on a Monday not a weekend and use the nicotine lozenges! They worked miracles, I have been a non smoker for two and a half years now and honestly thinking about it now, one of the main reasons I decided to have the lap band is getting healthier, but if u still smoke it's just canceling back out again! I promise that quitting smoking is a hell of a lot easier than retraining your body to quit eating the wrong foods and eatin too much! Besides no one wants to see their kids grow up and pick up the same nasty smokin habits so better yourself 100%!

Cazzy

Bariatric Master

• Surgery Date: Jan 2011
  • Starting Weight: 400 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 236 lbs
  • Current Weight: 164 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 160 lbs
  • BMI: 28.1
Posted June 25, 2012 - 8:30 AM

Well i have to admit i was a smoker since the age of 40 yrs i was asked to cut out smoking prior to my lapband surgery and the week before i did virtually stop smoking, i used patches and a plastic cigarette. I knew that there were increased risks with surgery and the to be honest the most dangerous side effect of smoking and surgery is DVT u are far more prone to it as a smoker, also coughing afterwards hurts like hell .. but i got through it fine, i am not advocating smoking and a lapband as it obviously is better that u dont smoke, i could not give up just because someome told me too, i have to do it for myself, smoking helped me lose all the weight i did , but i will not be an advocate for smoking.
Fast forward to this year, i knew i would be having extensive cosmetic surgery to remove all my excess skin, so it was no shock when the plastic surgeon said no way will she do this surgery while i still smoke, i agreed to give up smoking .. i had to be smoke free 1 month before surgery and 13 weeks ago i gave up smoking using Champix and 11 weeks ago was my last cigarette. I was 11 hours in surgery and i know that i recovered as well as i did because of not smoking.
I had so much weight to lose i didnt think i could give up smoking and eating at the same time and it hasnt been easy even after i lost all the weight to give up, but now i have and it feels so much better. Dont get me wrong i still miss smoking but i know i cant afford it health wise or money wise a pack of cigarettes in the UK will cost u at least $12 per 20 ... give it up if can its worth it in the long run :)

Dawn200321

Bariatric Guru

• Surgeon: Tiffany Jessee
  • Surgery Date: Oct 2011
  • Starting Weight: 259 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 129 lbs
  • Current Weight: 130 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 140 lbs
  • BMI: 21.6
Posted June 25, 2012 - 8:38 AM

I smoked up until the day before my surgery and then quit for about six months, I found myself starting up again after some bad stress in my life. So far I havent had any complications but I know this isnt good either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Trending Topics

Topics with No Reply