Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SO I FINALLY HAD A CHANCE TO MEET THE SURGEON TODAY, AND I SAT THRU THE SEMINAR...PRETTY COOL...I REALLY LIKE THE DOCTOR, I'M FEEL REALLY COMFORTABLE WITH HIM SO FAR...BUT HE DID MENTION THAT HE WILL NOT DO THE SURGERY IF I SMOKE CIGARETTES...NOW I KNOW THEY ARE NOT HEALTHY AND I DO EVENTUALLY WANT TO STOP, BUT THE TRUTH IS: ITS EASIER SAID THAN DONE...AND IF YOU ARE A SMOKER YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN..NOW I CAN SEE MYSELF SLOWING DOWN AT FIRST AND WORKING TOWARDS QUITTING, BUT TO JUST UP AND STOP WILL PROBABLY DRAW ME BACK EVEN QUICKER AND I'LL PROBABLY SMOKE MORE...ANYWAY..HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A PROBLEM WITH SMOKING AND BEING BANDED, OR BEING APPROVED FOR SURGERY AND BEING A SMOKER??? I GUESS I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT SMOKING CIGARETTES CONFLICTING WITH GETTING BANDED... :unsure:

shhhh i am a heavy smoker ! and i smoked b4 my surgery ! apr 28 it will b my year !

SO...DID THE SURGEON KNOW YOU WERE A SMOKER AND APPROVED YOU??? OR DID YOU NOT TELL HIM??? AND DOES THE SMOKING EFFECT YOUR BAND AT ALL???

SO...DID THE SURGEON KNOW YOU WERE A SMOKER AND APPROVED YOU??? OR DID YOU NOT TELL HIM??? AND DOES THE SMOKING EFFECT YOUR BAND AT ALL???

I was just banded on Friday. I made my mother give me a cigarette when I got home and have had a couple since then. I noticed it feels odd to inhale but it doesn't cause me any pain.

I was smoking since I was 14 years old (I'm 25 now) and I was able to quit with chantix. I do occasionally have a cigarette but I think that's a hell of a lot better than the pack a day I used to go thru!

Lu Lu, I'm a looong time smoker myself, and I think the reason Dr's want us to quit before surgery is because anytime you have a general anestheia, they have to put a tube down your throat to "breath" for you. This tube is pulled out before you go to the recovery room. IF a person is a smoker, it COULD lead to problems when its time to breathe on your own after the tube is removed. I hope this helps.

YES HE KNEW I SMOKED ! BUT DIDNT KNOW I SMOKED THAT DAY ! NOTHING EFFECTED MY BAND AT ALL ! ACTUALLY I LOVED THE WAY THEY PUT ME TO sleep I REMEMBER LOOKING AROUND THE OPERATING ROOM ! AND THEN WAKEING UP ! LIKE WHAT THE HECK THATS IT ! LOL

The reason he won't do the surgery if you smoke has nothing to do with the band itself, but the greatly increased risk of problems occurring during surgery. Smokers can't oxygenate their organs properly, making healing take longer and the risk of infection higher. Statistically speaking, it's smokers that have more problems with anesthesia for the same reason.

Overall, your risk of serious complications and/or death increases significantly if you're a smoker, and that is why most surgeons won't perform elective surgeries like Lap-Band on smokers. Most require you've been smoke free for a month.

WELL I DIDNT HAVE NO COMPLICATIONS !

I'm not anti smoking but I do know it effects every bodily function. It just might be more stress on your GI tract in conjunction with the band than he is willing to take responsibility for. And theres the anesthesia thing, compromised oxygenation during surgery. Good luck to you!

And I'd bet lots of smokers get banded, they just don't tell anyone they're smokers. You think?

My doctor was adament about no smoking. And believe me, if you smoked your doctor smelled it as did the nurse and anyone else around you who doesn't smoke. Sorry but that's very true.

My doctor will not band you if you smoke or if there is a possibility you want children.

My doctor will not band you if you smoke or if there is a possibility you want children.

Really? That was one of my MAIN reasons for getting banded. To lose weight so my infertility might clear. That is crazy that he won't band someone who might want children someday!? That can rule out a TON of patients. Is he afraid of his stats getting skewed if pregnant patients regain?

I dont spoke and im sure its hard to just stop, if a doctor told me he wouldnt do the surgery because of that reason, i would trust his judgement im sure he has a good enough reason, its scary enough having to go under anes u really dont want to have problems while u r under for an elective surgery..i could see if it were a life or death situation and u had to have surgery..but not for an elective one..just my thoughts.

I don't think so. I know this is a mixed subject with people. I agree with the doctor though. For me I wouldn't want to be banded and spend all that money and do all that life changing for the chance of knowing I would put on weight when pregnant. Of course I'm not trying to tick anyone off here when I say this, its my opinion and we all have them. Another thing I sometimes see on here are people that are not overweight on here (ok, weight proportioned to height I know) so I'm going o say this. If somene is 5' 7" and they weight 180 lbs and a doctor is going to perform this surgery on someone. I chalk it as a greedy doctor wanting to get rich. No haters please.