Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Horrible? Ting Happened To Me

GLove
Sign in to follow this  

Yesterday someone posted a comment on the regular forum. I replied along with a question to her. She then sent me a private msg telling me how horrible the band was...advising me not to get the band. She explained in detail her horrible experience with esophogal issues, how she cant eat or drink anything, the pain, the stuck episodes, etc. She is having her band removed. It scared the crap out of me. I then realized I have only looked at the happyside of lapband...so, I researched the dark side......for 4 hrs....until I fell asleep at the IPAD. I was all set for the band. Im 1.5 wks away. Im on pre op diet. Doing good. Yes, having my doubts..scared..worried, but moving forward. Why did this email pop into my LBT Inbox? Why were her issues related directly to my worst fears? What's going on? Why am I Seriously considering cancelling my surgery ? Was I just not serious enough to begin with? I've been in this for over a year now. Do I believe the scare stories over the success stories? The 20% failure rate? Do I really understand what a huge life change this will be? Do you? Considering the failure rate, do I want to gamble with my health? i ask all these questions in the utmost seriousness. Im scared and wish I had a crystal ball.

Dear Glove i to read that ladys post. I saw where you had posted to her and I even then could feel your fear. Heres the deal No one but you can tell you what you should do. I will say that its common to have fear. But let me just throw out some medical stuff since thats what i am. Your risk of cutting your life short as a 70 lb over weight female is there. Also are you really enjoying your life? I know for me that my legs swell. I am short of breath way to often. I have high bp ( not super high but high) So if i dont do something NOW then i am risking my life, a much higher risk then i face with the surgery. As far as the band failing? No the band isnt what really fails its the ppl working the band. Think bout it. If you follow the rules and you go see the dr for fills then how do you fail? I cant tell you that you wont have ANY bad things or bad times with the band I wish i could tell everyone that. But dont let one Negitive person turn you off something you have worked for.

While it's good to look at all aspects of the band I completely second what Deb said. Only you can decide if the band is the right tool for you. Whether you use your tool correctly or not is up to you. Ask yourself what you would do if you were not afraid of anything? Just the facts and how both would affect your life. Good luck Glove, I hope you find peace with whichever decision you make.

Glove,

I would have to agree with Deb and second what smmrsue said. It's completely YOUR decision and only you can make the right one for yourself. After being on this forum for the past few weeks, you pick up on certain personalities. I haven't come across anyone yet who seems as determined to follow the guidelines set out by your Doctor as you do. You have your diet down pat, know the rules front and back, and it seems you have more will power than anyone on here. I KNOW you have more than I do. Yes there are failure rates and horror stories and if we focused on those, none of us would be getting it done. I like the success stories and know if I work the band correctly, I will be one of those. I'm positive you will be too if you choose to go this direction.

I would like to ask one question here about those who fail. Did the band fail, or did she fail the band?

Know we're here for you whatever decision you make.

julz~

Glove I have been trying to post a topic i saw on here earler today. Was a girl who lost over 119 lbs in 9 mos. I couldnt help but look at her happy face. That can be everyone of us.

I guess i am in a way Lucky I have 2 friends at work who has done the band. And while one of them had a slight complication after surgery she is now doing fine 2 yrs out. I have asked them both multiple times if they would do this again. And their answer is a very Resounding YES. Nothing worth having is easy or without risks. We all just have to figure out how much we are willing to give up or risk to have it. I do know that you will choose what is right for you and that no matter what you chose we will support you. Just dont give up something you wanted for so long on a spur of a moment ok hon.. Smile

Glove - I agree with all of thee above. I also had the same fears....and I forced myself to weigh the positive and negatives. The positives outweigh the negatives every time. I kind of liken it to child birth. Knowing everything that could possibly go wrong with having a baby is always on your mind during pregnancy. However the reward is much more worth the fear and risks...does that make sense?

Glove- just remember, everyone is different. Sounds like she is bitter that things didn't work out well for her. Just like with any surgical procedure, there are risks as well as benifits and you have to decide if the benifits out weigh the risks for you in your own mind. Remember we can't sail to discover new land if we are too afraid to loose sight of the shore.

Glove - I agree with all of thee above. I also had the same fears....and I forced myself to weigh the positive and negatives. The positives outweigh the negatives every time. I kind of liken it to child birth. Knowing everything that could possibly go wrong with having a baby is always on your mind during pregnancy. However the reward is much more worth the fear and risks...does that make sense?

OMgoodness! I forgot about being preggers. Everyone had a horror story about labor. By the time I deliveried I was terrified. Of course, my delivery wasn't perfect but it all came out (pardon the pun) ok in the end. LOL So much so I had too more babies.

There are some very valid points here but again, having this surgery is a personal decision and it's important to feel good about it.

I have only three questions:

How many hours of research would you estimate you've completed?

Why did the woman not post the information on the main forum where everyone could learn from her experiences?

Is being obese less risky than the band?

I am a perfectionist and most days, there are moments when I continue to doubt whether the band is the right treatment for my obesity. However, I no longer agonize about my decision and am completely ready to go. I have researched WLS extensively and have determined the band is the best choice for me right now. There may be something better in the future, but I do not want to wait any longer. Additionally, my surgeon thinks the band will work for me, and I do trust him completely. (I picked him based on his educational background and experience.)

I wish I had a crystal ball, too, but since I don't, I am making the best decision I can, given the facts with which I have been provided. Though I'd like perfection, I'm realistic and understand fully that it does not exist in WLS. However, I am hopeful that I will someday have a weight management success story that will offer hope to other obese individuals.

But if it turns out that the band is not for me, my life will hopefully go on, and after I analyze the situation completely, I will then move on as well. I have made many weight management mistakes in the past, but I have gained knowledge from each experience and will persevere.

You still have plenty of time before your surgery to analyze whether you are making a decision you are comfortable with, but if you need additional time, postponing your surgery is always an option. Whatever you decide, I believe in you.

Ok, I have to say it .... I miss Glove and wish she would chime in here.

:(

I miss her to and wish she would let us know she is ok. No matter what choice she makes.

Ok, I have to say it .... I miss Glove and wish she would chime in here.

:(

Me, too. I got on here the minute I arrived home today, hoping to see how she's feeling.

I miss her to and wish she would let us know she is ok. No matter what choice she makes.

I agree. Maybe she's trying to sort this all out in her head first and needs a few days away.

Oh, you ladies are the sweetest! Thank you for your concern. Although Im retired, I was offered a contract job this week and have been busy, PLUS I needed a couple of days to sort this out and make a decision.

For the past 14 months I have lived and breathed lapband. That's how long it took me from the first doc appt to surgery date, next week. I was always so annoyed that everyone else breezed through the requirements in 3-4 months and I had one strange delay after another. But I just kept telling myself my time will come and it will be right and to be patient. Then, in February, I got " the date". I prepared with a vengence! I made lists, created a schedule, a timeline, ordered Protein, books, etc. I have been on this forum every night for 14 months, wanting to know every experience, every ache and pain and every pitfall that exists. LPT is so positive; very rarely will you find negativity here, at least I did not. I completely convinced myself that I would be the Lapband Poster Child. I overcame my fear of losing hair (biotin!), i overcame the fear of having something down my throat during surgery (i would be asleep and wouldnt know). The most haunting thing, and I do mean haunting, is the idea of getting stuck. I already

have problems with choking, so for me, getting stuck, even once, was a fear I couldnt

manage, but I was ignoring it. THEN came the post on my LBT profile. Oh my. Scared me to death. i couldnt leave it alone. I had to ask her questions, needed details. She replied. I dont blame her. She did make me realize there was another side to all this that I did not fully explore. And so I did. And for me, I'm not willing to go there. But that's just me. I cancelled my surgery today and feel like a weight has been lifted. That's when I knew I made the right decision for me. I have a renewed resolve to get it done. My hat is off to you ladies. Being a good bandster requires more discipline and determination than I can muster. And I appreciate the fact that I know that about myself now rather than later. I will be fine. i've lost weight before and I will do it again. I want to know how all the April Bandsters do so I will be lurking around and reading your

posts, if you dont mind. God Bless and good luck on the other side. You will look awesome in just a few short months!!!!

Oh man so sorry i missed all this yesterday, Glove if you are reading our post wiether you do this or not is up to you, you WILL make the right decision for you. But you are a part of our group and we need you. you always have such good and informed advice.