Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!!! Acid Reflux After Fill

I got banded sept of 2008. I started out at 225 pounds, I had got down to 172 pounds by last summer. I'm now 189 pounds. I have a 10cc band, I had 7cc last summer. Due to acid reflux I have only 5.8cc. Every time I need more in my band I get terrible acid reflux and than once I get a good unfill the reflux goes away and I don't have good restriction, so I gain weight !!!!! I take dexilant for the reflux. I can't seem to get ahead with this issue. Anyone with this problem? Please help!!!! I want to lose an additional 30 pounds. I'm sick of this roll coaster ride!!!

WOW! You sound just like me! Banded Sept. 2008 . Started 220lbs lowest 170 ish. i have gone up and down with the same 10lbs for last 2 yrs. Last time i saw my doc I had unfill due to tightness in throat which was reflux. After unfill reflux went away. I am still not losing weight. I have evn considered having band removed. I feel like I dont have an over eating problem......I just eat bad food. I mean I dont make a habit of stuffing myself till it hurts. I dont know if the band was the best choice for me. I think i was deprerate and I got my band so fast! I am a big time emotional eater and the band doesnt take that away. Anyway, I am happy I lost what I have..just wish I could keep going. I go see my doc tomorrow to talk about what we should do next. GOOD LUCK!

Heidib, I refuse to give in and have my band removed, unless there is a medical issue. I feel if I have the band removed I will gain the little I have lost. I will continue to fight this battle and speak with my doctor on how depressing this is. Some folks are having great success and others are not. Please think about it before giving up. I just ordered some Protein Shakes, I also checked out https://sherrybellingham.myvi.net/products.html this lady has a story about her weight loss success and she has great info on her new shakes. Please read her story, I just ordered shakes from her on yesterday. This is not the answer for my problems with the band, but I'm willing to try anything to jump start my weight issues. If you decided to order, or anyone who wishes to order let her know Gwen referred you to her site. Good luck to you !!!!

UPDATE- I just got back from seeing Doc. I was up 6lbs from a yr ago (she was fine with that). I told her I was not happy with the weightloss for past 2 yrs. I told her I know a lot of it is because of bad choices on my end. They gave me a fill. 1/2 of what they took out last time. I will be on liquids for 48 hrs. wacko.png lol! Lets see how that goes (god help the hubby and kids) ;-) Anyway, doc said i have pretty much lost most of the weight they thought the band would help me lose. Sounds like I am on my own pretty much now. I still need to lose about 40 more pounds!!! AGAGAGGAG! I mean I should have less hunger now with a fill nad have to eat slower. I just need to stay away from BAD foods!!! So, I guess the band is not my magic pill ;-) I still have to work! I am very frustrated going up and down with weight,. They recommended weight watchers.

Heidi, so you have taken responsibilty for not losing like you should have because of poor food choices. You know what hasn't worked in the past, just suck it up and stay on the wagon! I went on vacation 2 weeks ago and just couldn't get off of the carbs once I was back. I am up 4 pounds, got .25 put in today from the .4 that was removed 2 weeks ago. I started the 5 day pouch test today because I didn't want to take any chances with getting anything stuck and then having to have it removed again. I am so ready to be in the greenzone, I can taste it this time! My fingers are crossed. I wish you luck too.

I can tell you the liquid only today was not so bad since I had made a couple of Soups from the 5DPT recipes. I will have the same soups tomorrow and a shake for Breakfast.< /p>

Heidi, so you have taken responsibilty for not losing like you should have because of poor food choices. You know what hasn't worked in the past, just suck it up and stay on the wagon! I went on vacation 2 weeks ago and just couldn't get off of the carbs once I was back. I am up 4 pounds, got .25 put in today from the .4 that was removed 2 weeks ago. I started the 5 day pouch test today because I didn't want to take any chances with getting anything stuck and then having to have it removed again. I am so ready to be in the greenzone, I can taste it this time! My fingers are crossed. I wish you luck too.

I can tell you the liquid only today was not so bad since I had made a couple of Soups from the 5DPT recipes. I will have the same soups tomorrow and a shake for breakfast.

Hi Holly, Your right! I am on day 2 liquids. I am not used to this i keep going to just crab solid food (just out of habit) and have to stop myself. it hasnt been that bad really. I dont have to even think about what I'm going to eat lol!

Heidib, how is it going since your fill the other day? I see my doctor on Monday. Hoping to get a fils small fill. Just don't want the night cough or reflux. I'm trying to get to the green zone as well. I might do the 5 day test after my fill on Monday.

Hey! I'm ok ,,,,,,,hungry BUT ok lol! starting slow....going to mushies tomorrow. hope u hit your green!!!

:-)

well, I am eating solids now for a few days. I have started to get tightness in throat again :-( Taking zantac 75 today. I will stick it out, keep taking zantac and make sure I am not getting dehydrated.......if i dont drink enough my band gets tighter. not very hungry though.

Hey heidib, I spoke with you several weeks ago about the same issue on reflux and needing unfills, I went to a new doctor today(close to home), I explained my issue with acid reflux and always needing an unfill and gaining weight. He told me that this is becoming very common with a lot of band patients, he also said that lapband surgery was the big crazzzz about 5 or 6 years ago, now the new thing is the sleeve surgery. The lapband has to many problems with acid reflux! Well, I was pissed off about that. I have no plans on getting more surgery to change with the times. His game plan for me is to do a barium swallow and check my band. He seems to think I might be one of those patients that has reached a peak with the band and I might have to work hard on my own to reach my 150 goal weight. :)