Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!!! Acid Reflux After Fill

I got banded sept of 2008. I started out at 225 pounds, I had got down to 172 pounds by last summer. I'm now 189 pounds. I have a 10cc band, I had 7cc last summer. Due to acid reflux I have only 5.8cc. Every time I need more in my band I get terrible acid reflux and than once I get a good unfill the reflux goes away and I don't have good restriction, so I gain weight !!!!! I take dexilant for the reflux. I can't seem to get ahead with this issue. Anyone with this problem? Please help!!!! I want to lose an additional 30 pounds. I'm sick of this roll coaster ride!!!

Is it right after or during eating? My band is tight and I find spicy foods sitting there can give me something similar to reflux.

Have you tried different medications? Also, when was the last time you had any tests done to check your band?

I have the acid reflux issue at night, night cough and vomiting. But, once I have an unfill I'm fine. And I start to gain weight again. And the other question about getting test done, no I have not been tested for any problems in the past year, in 2010 I have a barium swallow done and that test came back showing the acid reflux issue. In march I am scheduled for a colonoscopy, he might check my stomach as well. What should we be looking for?

I'm taking dexilant for acid reflux, now that my band is only 5.8cc I only need the meds if I eat or drink something I should'nt.

Night cough is generally a sign of a band that is too tight and causing reflux. Worries for a too tight band are a slip, erosion, or dilated esophagus. It sounds for you that the green zone is a very fine line. :(

I had an Upper GI and esophogram done recently to check motility and for dilation. An endoscopy can look for erosion and damage from the reflux.

I am sorry you are having trouble, I hope you get it resolved soon!

Thanks Cocoabean, you look fantastic!!!! Do you have any advice on how to get on track! I'm not sure what to do next. I will speak with my doctor this week and see what he says, but it is always good to get help from someone who has been successful with looking wonderful. A doctor sometimes does not know the ups and downs of this battle. Thanks Gigi

Thank you! I've been fortunate. My band works as advertised. Mainly you need to watch what you eat (sucks, yes) until you see if you can find the green zone. If my band started giving me problems, I'd be looking at revision.

Thanks, I guess I'm puzzled. I was in green zone last summer I was doing wonderful. I was down to 172, and feeling great. This year has been a mess, I'm still not sure what happened. I also hear stress plays a big part in why the band is too tight, yes I have had my stress lately. I'm not sure if stress is an issue with the band. As far as revisions, I'm not sure what that means. I hope this will help ours with this battle.

The 5 day pouch test????? Has anyone heard of this and does it work or help????

First, this will only make sense to people who have been banded a while, and in the Green Zone to where one can know the behavior of their bands, IMO.

Having said that, I can tell differences in my band from day to day, even from morning to evening. I believe there are times that my band will become dilated, enlarged, probably simply from day to day use.

And my portions become larger, and I feel less restriction.

When I detect this, I will go to straight liquids for a full day maybe 2. Then reintroduce food with mushies. Sort of a abbreviated post op diet. For me, this always tightens my band back up.

The 5 day pouch test is someone's clever way of doing the same thing, but putting the process into a 5 day schedule.

I do the same thing. If I find myself eating to much, I throw myself on a liquid day diet. This kinda bumps me back a little so that I dont go overboard. I can seem to only last a day of this. I dont know what I will do if my doc puts me on a restrictive diet due to a slip or something. Knock on wood.

Its such a fine line sometimes with getting good restriction and going over the top. I have gone in for one unfill because I couldnt eat anything put liquids and Soup. I hope you can get it worked out to where you can have restriction but also be able to eat something with out all the problems. good luck

I do the same thing. If I find myself eating to much, I throw myself on a liquid day diet. This kinda bumps me back a little so that I dont go overboard. I can seem to only last a day of this. I dont know what I will do if my doc puts me on a restrictive diet due to a slip or something. Knock on wood.

Its such a fine line sometimes with getting good restriction and going over the top. I have gone in for one unfill because I couldnt eat anything put liquids and Soup. I hope you can get it worked out to where you can have restriction but also be able to eat something with out all the problems. good luck

That's it! I call it "Graduate School" or "Advanced Learning". Not something for newbies to worry about, yet, but go still good to know.

Please be careful with the reflux! My brother's band got too tight and he ended up with aspiration pneumonia from the reflux at night. Now he knows the warning signs, and I am confident it won't happen again. For us not yet banded, these topics are great information to be on the lookout for!

one thing that can help with the reflux is to drink medium sips of cold Water. that does help me to minimize the number of refluxes after every meal.

good luck