Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Old-Timers (3+ Years Banded) Recommitting To The Bandster Lifestyle

We're all driving AB! Welcome! What did you get done this time?

Well, my man made homemade vegetarian pizza last night and I brought two small pieces into work today for lunch. I bet it won't even touch the sides but it'll stop the tummy growling and that's all I care about. Then I'm going for a 3km power walk around the city. I hope it's not raining though....

You know, I am fortunate, I have a cafeteria at work, but I am too lazy to go downstairs and grab something healthy! So, I need to commit to changing that habit. Either getting something there or bringing it from home. I have a refrigerator and micro in my office area. It isn't like it is a big deal!

Elcee, I am with you on the hating exercise thing. And whoever said just stick with it and you will start to love it is a damned liar! I also doubt I will ever crave healthy foods. Give me the junk, and I am a happy camper.

Alien Bandit, good to see you again! Haven't seen you around in a while.

Power walks in muggy Melbourne weather = a very sweaty lellow. Just sayin'

I am on 2 1/2 years out as I was banded in Sept 2009. I have recommitted myself after I have put on an extra 20 lbs over the last 6 months since having a unfill because my band was too tight.

I have gotten back on track the last couple of weeks. I have started exercising and eating better. Well I should say making better food choices.

I went to the park this morning and walked 1 1/2 miles and ran 1/2 mile.

We are going to Vegas in 3 weeks and my clothes are pretty tight right now. I don't have a certain pound limit I want to lose beforehand, I just want them to feel comfortable when we go.

Together we can get back on track and start being losers again!!!

great work on the run, JennK! I love having things to look forward to - I wish *I* was going to Vegas!

I hate to say this, but the more I'm exercising, the more I feel like exercising. I LOATHE it when I'm doing it, but afterwards I feel awesome. I'm actually considering leaving work early so I can get a jog in at the park near my place before the man gets home!

Its an absolute godsend being back at full time work after all the time off - being a teacher, I can easily be too busy all day to eat. There's no drifting to the staff room for coffee and a biscuit at odd times and anyone that knows anything about the Australian public education system would realize that biscuits in the staff room would be the stuff of dreams! Australian schools don't have vending machines, or big canteens - our school has no canteen at all. Students don't do a lunch program, its bring your own or nothing and like all teachers, lunchtime, recess time and the hour or so after 3.30 are spent running around planning, photocopying and preparing. I walk in the door at home right at the right time to start cooking dinner, so holding off from snacking is quite doable.

Nothing like being at home picking, nibbling and grazing all day, breaking the routine by heading down the shops for coffee and a muffin! I'm sure I'll lose a kilo or two over the coming months.

I get that Jacqui! Where I'm working now, I have to go down 15 floors to get a snack. Easy to stay on target during the week as a result.

Weekends though? Not so good!

I just did my second jog in a week and I think I may have to be resuscitated. I nearly died halfway through this one. Man, am I unfit!

I think you should take pity on me. I only work casually - normally about 4 days a month. How am I supposed to keep myself away from food?

With the current economic climate I don't think it's very likely that I will get much more work either!

elcee, I do feel for you with the lack of work. I also have days, like this morning, when I wish I didn't work 10 hour days though. Sigh.

And can someone explain to me why, even though I've lost the weight I put on, even though I'm exercising and watching what I eat, my two work dresses today were TIGHT? One wouldn't even zip up!

So to commiserate, I went to the Breadtop on Bourke St and bought a bbq pork bun for brekkie. And now I feel worse.

Ok, so today I did it! I went to the cafeteria at lunch at got a chicken wrap for lunch. Only weird thing is, I was able to eat nearly the whole thing! But in my defense, it was mostly veggies with maybe 3 oz of chicken, I tore off some of the tortilla (which does not give me trouble), and I did NOT have chips (or is it crisps to you Aussies?).

I was also able to eat 1/2 a bagel this morning. Odd, I had a very nasty break up with Bagels a while ago. Haven't dared to try them since. But I had been up for a few hours by then and had consumed my coffee. Bands are so fickle, aren't they?

Now, exercise? I don't wanna talk about it.

Oh man, am I ever THRILLED to find this thread!! I am in serious need of a re-commitment and I AM DOING IT NOW! So here's the cliff notes version of my story:

-Highest weight: 374

-Weight on surgery day: 342

-Banded August 7, 2009

-As of May 2011, lost 162 pounds total (12 pounds from goal weight!)

-Got married: gained 10 pounds (wedding stress much??)

-Went off birth control: gained 10 more pounds

-Had a small unfill due to horrible acid reflux: gained 10 MORE pounds

-Gained 20 pounds between Thanksgiving and Christmas

-Total weight gain since May: 50 pounds! YIKES!!!

The good news is, I went to the doctor a couple weeks ago and discovered that my thyroid levels are off, so I'm back on synthroid. I honestly think that my weight gain has been part my own fault and part my thyroid. I've gotten so complacement, and I'm eating WAY more than I'm supposed to...or should even be able to (I ate a whole sub the other day. I shouldn't be able to do that!). I've also been struggling emotionally because hubby and I are having a hard time getting pregnant...so I've gone back to eating my emotions. Gaining all this weight is NOT going to help me make a baby, now is it? I'm also sure my stomach pouch has stretched some, based on how much I can eat on a regular basis, so it's time to shrink the sucker back. Soooo...here's my NEW plan:

-Take synthroid religiously!

-Giving up junk food for Lent (all of it!)

-Back to basics of Lap Band diet - eating no more than a cup-sized meal, half of it Protein, half of it veggies/fruits/whole grain carbs

-Exercising AT LEAST 5 days a week.

-Starting Couch to 5K TOMORROW!!! And this time I'm actually going to finish it...well, unless I get pregnant first. ;)

-I'm going to blog again and HOLD MYSELF ACCOUNTABLE.

-Had a chat with teh hubby tonight, and told him I can't do this without him. Meaning, he has to stop being my enabler and tell me NO to food sometimes (I think he's a little scared about this that I'll yell at him...and I might...but I told him to stand firm and remind me why I'm doing this. I'll get over it eventually and love him even more.)

Alright people, LET'S DO THIS! :)

Good to hear klariade! The more of you join this thread, the more motivated I feel. Don't know about the rest of you, but it's working for me!

Alright I gotta do this -

Things I hate about exercising:

• Having to wash my hair because I sweated like I was caught in torrential showers. My hair is now almost to my waist - do you KNOW how long it takes to get my hair dry??
  • Feeling like my heart is going to burst out of my chest, and feeling like my legs are like jelly, and having to push myself despite that.
  • Having to dress in work-out gear (nothing fancy - tshirt and 3/4 length leggings, but still) and having to put on my trainers. I think doing those things are my biggest 'blocks' and the hardest thing for me to get motivated to do. Once I'm dressed though, I'm committed to it.
  • Hurting like a mofo the next day.
  • Chaffing. 'Nuff said.

Ok that's my whinge about exercise. I won't whinge any more.

One of my best friends started exercising with me when I was losing, and in Sept she's doing the Tough Mudder in Sydney and she wants me to do it with her. The idea of a 12km obstacle course is making me break out in hives. But then I think - she kept at it, and now she runs 12km x 3 times a week. If I keep at it, maybe I'll get there too!

...or maybe not. tongue.png

I've heard about that Tough Mudder! Sounds like a huge challenge. What is the couch to 5K i keep hearing about? Is it a running program? I am allergic to running but thought I would ask. I was interested in running once so I went to the library and got a book about it...seriously!

The things I like about exercising are the calories I burn, the increased energy I have when I do it regularly and the sense of accomplishment when you find yourself getting stronger or faster. I also like the buffer it provides if you aren't eating perfectly!

Last year I trained and did a 240 km bike ride over two days with my husband and about 2800 other people to raise money for cancer research. There is no way on this earth I could have even considered it if I hadn't had my band. I am still so happy to have it!

Im not able to get quite so much exercise now that I'm working again, but still four to five days a week. However, I've been working on getting my hormones right in the last six months - a radiation induced instant menopause at 42 year old is pretty brutal and I was in pretty bad shape mentally and emotionally NOT to mention most of my weight regain has gone where I never carried weight before - my belly. Running and spinning has been tough the last six months, most of my runs have felt like I"m literally running through Water or on soft sand and I've complained to my hubby that I felt like my fitness was literally slipping away despite my hard work. Well, starting HRT made me feel better emotionally but I was still shaped like an old lady and still feeling really weak muscle wise (cardiovascular fitness never slid). That's until I started testosterone! Wowsers that stuff is like the fountain of youth. My muscles have come back and my hard belly has returned (it's gonna be GREAT without the layer of extra skin in a month or so). Not to mention I *think* I may have felt horny the other day for the first time in about 18 months!

Think I may have to get some!