Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Should I Have On Hand?

I am scheduled to be banded next Tuesday and would love it if you all could share what exactly you found you used/needed following your surgery. Please include things like gas x or anything else you can think of. I read bits and pieces here and there but would love a comprehensive list all in one place. Thanks.

No gasx suggested or used but I certainly appreciated the TLC from my DH. Make sure you have a supportive person around for the first couple of days just to help out - more emotionally than physically.

And have loose waist banded trousers/track pants for wearing home.

I have heard that gas x is a life saver

Gas-x strips are helpful. Have your Protein shakes ready and make sure your blender or food processor is in working order. I found liquid tylenol helpful for when I wasn't feeling enough pain for the liquid vicodin, but still had some discomfort. A pill crusher is a help if you have prescription meds that can be smashed to take. My nutritionist also wanted me to have a chewable or liquid Multivitamin, as well as a chewable or liquid calcium+D supplement to take daily.

I also wanted to have things to do to keep my busy while I couldn't move around much (other than stare at the TV :P ) so I had a crossword puzzle book, a couple of new books to read, and (of course) my iPad. :)

Lounge/Pajama pants that are loose and comfortable

Liquid tylenol (I too only used the liquid oxy? I got filled at the pharmacy for just the first 2-3 days), Protein shakes (costco premier nutrition are pre packaged, tasty and portable)

Water cup (you'll probably get one at the hospital)

Crossword puzzle book/Suduko, etc.

Books/Magazines.

I just felt groggy and tired when I got home from the hospital so I slept for the first 8 hrs or so. My husband checked on me every couple of hours and made me get up and walk around and get the blood flowing. Slow of course, but moving. The next morning, I felt ok but my belly was sore. I used the prescription pain medicine but very much in moderation. I was worried it would make me nasuaus and the LAST thing I wanted to do was throw up! I didn't cough or even clear my throat for 3 days! Sip your Water, tea, crystal light...but stay hydrated.

Good Luck!

heating pad for the stomach and back for the gas pains - gas x does not touch the gas - because it's not intenstinal it's in the torso from surgery - the heating pad and liquid pain killers were the only thing that worked for me - not even walking although it's important to walk for a lot other reasons. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU - YOU WILL DO GREAT!!!!!tongue.png

liquid benedryl actually helps a bit with settling your stomach the first few days... phenergan is a life saver, and I suspect your doc will give you a few or Rx to go home with. You'll have to crush them, but mix with a little sugar free fruit drink, and it's no problem. I mowed through some sugar free popcicles and like the EAS Advantage rich dark chocolate shake ~$5 for 4 at most groceries and Target. When tired of sweet/fruity, I had some beef consomme or salty chicken broth. Sugar free Jello is a life saver. I'm going to admit it... I even made tiny jello shot cups with my liquid lortab. ohmy.png I graduated from college almost 15 years ago, but it was still pretty fun!

My surgery was gastric plication and lap band, so I was under for a while, and the gas pain was a killer! It's a referred pain in the shoulders area, since it's coming from near your upper stomach and diaphragm after your abdomen was full of gas. It's the same principal as your left arm hurting when you're having a heart attack. I went back/forth between walking around the house and curling up under a big pile of blankets. I kept a damp cloth near for nausea which seemed to help knock it out quickly. Keep sipping something even if you're not thirsty or don't want anything. I was home alone for the first few days but my bff kept texting drink and meds and walk reminders. It actually helped that someone remembered I was alive but suffering, even if I wanted to throw the phone every time it woke me up!

heating pad definitely and sugar free Jello and sugar free sweets .. skimmed milk, 0% greek yoghurt, Soup and broth.< /p>

i couldnt eat the liquid chicken or beef broth, it was way too salty, but i loved the broth from campbells chicken noodle Soup or veg beef soup. sugar free pudding cups frozen taste just like ice cream ! sf Jello and liquid tylenol because the stuff they give you is beyond nasty. keep a bottle of Water and a roll of lifesavers in the car for the ride home. i had the worst cottonmouth after surgery that even ice chips couldnt get rid of. a small container in case you throw up or feel nauseous on the ride home. i was banded dec 13th, it was a breeze , i was at the hosp at 6am and out at 11am.i rested on the couch for 2 day and then was so bored by the 3rd day i went and did a little xmas shopping. down 17 lbs so far- feel great ! good luck !