Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression and the band (not related)

In coming up with the 'reasons I am doing this' column, I was making a list of med cost this will save me.

I currently take 4 diabetes meds (lantus, humalog, victoza and metfornin).

I am struggled with depression for...20? 30? years (I am 49 now)

Once banded did you find the/your depression ended or abated? Is there a 'post banding' funk?

What about the feeling of saying good bye to the food and/or old life(style/habits).

just trying to see the before and after....heck- do they even MAKE liquid forms of anti-deps??

Well, first off, you could still take your pill anti-depressants. Most of those are small and would be fine to take. BUT, the good news is....once I had the band and started losing, I felt my depression slowly going away as well. My depression stemmed only from my weight though, not really other stressers in life. I did get a little sad about the food. At times I wanted to eat what everyone else was having and it ticked me off that I couldn't. But when I looked at the big picture and settled down for a minute, I realized that I didn't NEED the food....I just wanted it really bad :) . And its been that way at times, but trust me, well worth it!!!

I am also type II diabetic and told there is a STRONG coralary (sp) between the 2 (and of course FOOD)

Well, first off, you could still take your pill anti-depressants. Most of those are small and would be fine to take. BUT, the good news is....once I had the band and started losing, I felt my depression slowly going away as well. My depression stemmed only from my weight though, not really other stressers in life. I did get a little sad about the food. At times I wanted to eat what everyone else was having and it ticked me off that I couldn't. But when I looked at the big picture and settled down for a minute, I realized that I didn't NEED the food....I just wanted it really bad :) . And its been that way at times, but trust me, well worth it!!!

I've been banded for just under a month now. I had a little bit of depression that first week after surgery.. I was in a lot of pain and started questioning what I had done.. I've alot of people get that tho. After my pain went away my mood increased significantly.. I went to see my psychiatrist last week and she was amazed at how much this surgery had already effected my overall mood and way of thinking.. So far so good! Lets hope that as my weight keeps going down that my mood keeps going up

Oh and yes I take anti depressant and anti anxiety and have been able to take both still. I had to switch the meds before surgery because I was on extended release meds and you're not supposed to crush or cut those. So thats all, they just switched me to the regular release ones. I was told my anti anxiety i didn't have to crush or cut because it was so small. My anti depressant i just use a pill splitter to cut in half and I haven't had any problems at all.

I was not clinically depressed, but I was not happy either. I had a lot of down days when i refused to leave the house or even my bed. Less than a month after surgery and just today I noticed that I am not having those days anymore. I don't know if it is the weight loss or the chemical changes from eating better, but I'm feeling very optimistic.

Those of us that were Morbidly Obese, are all depressed. It's a Hormonal thing, where everything is out of whack.

Once you lose weight, and your Body gets back together, you lose the Depression that is do to weight gain.

Any other type of Depression ? I can not comment on.

Hi there...I was recently banded on Halloween and I suffer from depression and panic disorder. I take an anti-depressant and an anti-anxiety pill. I have had no trouble with thaking the pills since surgery. Thank god there is no malabsorption issues with the band or else who knows what dose I would be on lol. I have to tell you that I cried for 2 days straight after surgery. I thought OMG what have I done...get this band out of me I just want to eat and all these other emotions. I don't know if it was a side effect of the anesthesia or what but I was a mess. I can tell you that I got thru it and it will get better. I hope you don't have to go thru that after your surgery but if you do just know that it will pass!!!!!! If I can do this ANYONE can i'm telling you each day has gotten better!!!! I hope to one day be off of these meds, but if I can't, I can't. Good luck with your surgery and remember it gets BETTER everyday. I literally had to take it 10 mins at a time for the first few days. Keep us posted. This site is the best and wicked supportive!!!!