Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The 60s -- the greatest decade to grow up in!

Hi to all my nice new friends, :)

It seems that one of the best ways to keep up with everyone is posting all messages and replies in this group. C'mon folks, we 60+ers are super special. Who cares where you're from or how much you have to lose ... living thru the 60s is really what sets up apart!! :rolleyes:

Ok, I wanna hear from Karen, Bromo, Sassy, Sandra, and all the other new BFF's I've made in this group.

Don't you agree that this is the group where we can easily chat back and forth? Lemme hear from you!! Oh, by the way, I really appreciated all the info and explanations you guys have shared with me. Many thanks.

If you write back, I'll tell you who I share my bed with. :P

Kate

p.s. How do you get that ticker thingee to work?

You're right. The 60's were a special time! The music was like nothing before or since. Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, the British Invasion Bands....Being from Detroit, I loved (and still do) Motown. I remember begging my parents to let me go to Woodstock. My brother said he would take me. They just laughed at us. I was 9 he was 14! LOL!!

Okay folks, I will try to remember back in "the old days"! I graduated in 1966. I remember the "British invasion" ! I was in 10th grade when the Beatles came to Ed Sullivan show. But.... I also, remember when A fellow named Elvis made his Ed Sullivan appearance. My poor Grandmother had come to visit us a we had just had our tonsils taken out and needed a caregiver. She was horrified when she saw him. Thank God that they blanked out the bottom half of the screen. HAHA! My 1st concert was Paul Revere and the Raiders. I was so in love with Paul! I did not go to Woodstock, I babysat for a couple that did though. I met my husband when he was a Marine. He had just returned from 3 tours in 'Nam. He left eh MArine when they wantd to send him for a th tour. He has a hard time understanding the several tours to Afganistan and Iraq! Later folks! Keep this going. Love it! Karen

Cindy,

I was 16 when the Beatles came to Chicago. Didn't get to the concert ... one of my life-long regrets.

Heck, I remember Frankie Avalon, Dion, Roy Orbison, Simon and Garfunkel, The Supremes, Fleeetwood Mac, Gary Puckett & The Union Gap, The Bee Gees, David Bowie and the list goes on.

I saw Diana Ross in Las Vegas when I was 18. I was entranced. You, however, were a bit young for WOODSTOCK!!! LOL

And ... even more important ... GO RANGERS, INDEED! They're my home team, and we are all so happy and proud of them. It will be the first for us.

Kate

I lived in the middle of nowhere North Dakota as a teenager, but when I was 19 moved to Maryland. As a young teenager I had a chance to see CC Rider, but the boy who wanted to take me was unacceptable to my Dad, so I didn't get to go! I did not go to many concerts. Many of the people you saw, Katie are some of my favorites too!

Do you remember mini-skirts up to here, and short shorts? I still had a figure during the late 60's and 70's, so I could wear that stuff. As, long as I was with my husband, it was ok. He was very jealous of me and other men looking at me! Haha! I am alomst back to where he will start getting jealous again!!!!

I remember the day that JFK came to my home town. My history teacher was my homeroom teacher. She says to us," I can't giv eyou permission to go, but if I turn around, and you are not here, then I don't know anything! " So, a group of us walked from our school up to the university campus to see him. He was the only president that I ever felt that close to! God rest his soul!

Come on folks! Give us some more memories! Karen

Cindy,

I was 16 when the Beatles came to Chicago. Didn't get to the concert ... one of my life-long regrets.

Heck, I remember Frankie Avalon, Dion, Roy Orbison, Simon and Garfunkel, The Supremes, Fleeetwood Mac, Gary Puckett & The Union Gap, The Bee Gees, David Bowie and the list goes on.

I saw Diana Ross in Las Vegas when I was 18. I was entranced. You, however, were a bit young for WOODSTOCK!!! LOL

And ... even more important ... GO RANGERS, INDEED! They're my home team, and we are all so happy and proud of them. It will be the first for us.

Kate

Yes, I was a little young for Woodstock, but that doesn't mean I didn't want to go! I was born in 1960, the youngest in my family. The oldest was born in 1952. I was greatly influenced by my siblings. While I probably should have been in love with Donny Osmond, I much preferred Jim Morrison and Peter Noone! Even though I was only 4 years old when the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan, I remember it like it was yesterday. I sat there completely mesmerized by them.

Congrats on your Rangers. They were spectacular last night! I hope they go all the way. I can't stand the idea of the Cardinals winning #11. Besides, if the Rangers win that means the only team that beat my Tigers was the World Champs. I can live with that! I'm just so proud of them for knocking the Yankees out for the second time in 5 years! So your guys need to go back to St. Louis and knock those birds off their perch!:)

The best thing about the 60's is that we were (are) the offspring of the best generation the world has ever seen. (pre depression to post WW2)

I really miss those people.

Would anyone understand if I said I have a hard time remembering the 60"s ???

And then I was off to Vietnam for 2 tours.

OK, I was a child of the 60's too...Graduated high school in 1969. I really liked the Beatles and the Bee Gees and Elvis...I saw the Beatles in Jacksonville when I was a young teen and later saw Paul McCartney when he played at half time for the Super Bowl in Jacksonville Florida in 2005. I sang every song right along with him. So nice to have a group of bandsters that are in my age bracket - thanks for starting this. This band thing is a "Long and winding road" but it is working and I hope all of you have a very Happy Thanksgiving...Melinda

I loved growing up in the 60's too, i listened to tamla motown all the time ( 4 tops, drifters, jackson 5, diana ross etc etc ), then Simon and Garfunkel, the Bee Gees Gary Puckett and ofc ( hides head) the monkees !

I fell 'in love' with Dustin Hoffman in the Graduate and still adore him to this day :), and avidly watched the Andy Willimas show on tv every week. I could wear mini skirts and hot pants back then, I remember there was a health warning put out that if you wore things too short your thighs get cold and they will get a layer of fat on them to keep them warm < seems i made that prediction come tru lol

The US was a long way away from the UK back then but the music we all shared made the distance almost non existant.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all !

Today, November 22, is the anniversary of the assassination of JFK.

Can everyone remember where and what you were doing when you heard the news?

I was sitting in my 6th grade class. Our teacher had a real sense of humor, and was known to pull some pranks now and then. So when someone came in and told him, he was visibly upset. When he then told us, fighting back the tears, we all burst out laughing.

Needless to say it did not go over very well.

They dismissed school and sent everyone home that day. Just like that. No buses, everyone just walked home. Don't think schools do that anymore.

I grew up in the sixties as well and it was a wonderful time being a teenager in the sixties. Danced to all the motown songs.....loved the Beatles, especially Paul.....met my first and only love in high school in the sixties.....married at 19 years old in 1967. Great memories from that time. My parents used to say "keeping company" we used the term "going steady" my kids said "going out" and now my grandchildren say "hooking up"........Do they all have the same meaning....don't think so.....lol

Today, November 22, is the anniversary of the assassination of JFK.

Can everyone remember where and what you were doing when you heard the news?

I was sitting in my 6th grade class. Our teacher had a real sense of humor, and was known to pull some pranks now and then. So when someone came in and told him, he was visibly upset. When he then told us, fighting back the tears, we all burst out laughing.

Needless to say it did not go over very well.

They dismissed school and sent everyone home that day. Just like that. No buses, everyone just walked home. Don't think schools do that anymore.

I do remember that day, also. For a person going through that, it is hard to forget. Just as we will never forget where we were when "The Towers" were attacked!

Anyway, I was in my history class, of all places. School was, also, dismissed, but I don't remember if we had buses. I do remember that I did my regular babysitting job, and watched the TV for days following! Karen

I do remember that day, also. For a person going through that, it is hard to forget. Just as we will never forget where we were when "The Towers" were attacked!

Anyway, I was in my history class, of all places. School was, also, dismissed, but I don't remember if we had buses. I do remember that I did my regular babysitting job, and watched the TV for days following! Karen

I remember walking home from high school with my boyfriend and hearing about the assassination of our President. It was also my boyfriends birthday (now my husband's birthday November 22nd). It was a sad day for all of us.....everyone seemed so sad and even the adults cried. We lived thru that terrible day and also 9/11 when the Towers were attacked. That seemed worse to me .....maybe because I was an adult and relized the severity of the attack. Living on Long Island, New York....we lost alot of friends and neighbors at the WTC attack. That was a horrific day for me. My son in law just started a new job in the City and could not get home for 3 days. He is an electrician for NYC and had to put up temporary lighting after the attack. When he finally got home to his wife an children he was covered in black soot for days. Very sad and horrific day.....hope we never experience it again!

Hi, I graduated in '69. I remember the assassination of JFK very well. Later in life I was in a classroom as a substitute teacher the day the Challenger spacecraft blew up. I had the tv on for the students as I had planned a lesson around it. When it blew up, they laughed and thought it was funny! I was shocked but then I realized that this generation is so used to video games where things blow up all the time. Then on 9/11 I was also teaching and my 5th grade students were very upset. At first we were told not to turn on the tv, but the rumors started flying. Parents were coming to pick up their children, especially the families who were middle eastern. I'll never forget the look of fear in their eyes. The kids who were bussed in from downtown were afraid because they thought their own city had blown up. We convinced the office that these kids needed to hear and see for themselves what was going on. It was the main topic for days to come. This is their JFK moment just like the memories we have and will never forget.

HI Folks,

Well today is Thanksgiving day! I am thankful that I have a nation that is Free to give thanks anyway we want to. Some people will spend their day in line to be the 1st to shop on Black Friday. I will start my day by attending church to thank the Lord for this day. Then, I will have dinner with my family and be thankful that we have food to share. Then, we will watch football on our 60" screen and one again be thankful for plenty! Thank you to all our servicemen and women and patriots who have kept us free for so many years!

Pearl Harbor attack, JFK's assassination, the Challenger blowing up, and 9/11, all the other times our country has been challenged show than when this country is at its lowest point, it is the strongest! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!