Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do any of you eat like this?

well, I'm now about six weeks post op. My doctor was right on. I'm no longer dieting. I'm living like a thin person. I've lost 33 lbs so far. I eat Protein in the form of chicken, fish, shrimp, small amount of beef, eggs , cottage cheese, etc. I try very hard to get in my five veggies a day. Thats' it. I'm eating three small meals a day and usually a mid afternoon snack and I am completely satisfied. I dont think about food. I have no cravings. I have no desire to graze or binge or stuff myself on anything. I have had no Pasta, no bread, no rice, no cereals. I could if I wanted them or had any room left for them, but I don't, and I don't even miss them. This band is some sort of miracle for me. It has completely changed my thinking about and relationship with food. I was very sceptical that it would work for me, but it is working and I couldn't be happier.

well' date=' I'm now about six weeks post op. My doctor was right on. I'm no longer dieting. I'm living like a thin person. I've lost 33 lbs so far. I eat Protein in the form of chicken, fish, shrimp, small amount of beef, eggs , cottage cheese, etc. I try very hard to get in my five veggies a day. Thats' it. I'm eating three small meals a day and usually a mid afternoon snack and I am completely satisfied. I dont think about food. I have no cravings. I have no desire to graze or binge or stuff myself on anything. I have had no Pasta, no bread, no rice, no cereals. I could if I wanted them or had any room left for them, but I don't, and I don't even miss them. This band is some sort of miracle for me. It has completely changed my thinking about and relationship with food. I was very sceptical that it would work for me, but it is working and I couldn't be happier.[/quote']

Wonderful! You are a smart lady and the band is obviously right for you. Congratulations on finding the right, sensible path. You should be our Poster Person on banding!

Long story short, I met with a new nutritionist at my surgical practice today and I was told that what my old nutritionist there taught me was wrong. I am to only eat Protein, veggies, and fruit. If I have dairy it has to be low fat, and I can't have nuts. I am a little mind-boggled at this point. I had previously been told to stay away from carbs as much as possible, but that nuts were a good snack and that when I have a meal I can have 4 oz. of meat, then a cup of veggies, then a 1/2 cup of carbs if I'm still hungry after that.

I'm curious if anyone out there is following this way of eating at all.

ETA: I was already doing what I considered to be an appropriately low-carb "diet" that was under 100g of carbs a day (my net carbs were usually way less than that).

I have no diet to follow other than... 1000 calories a day and at each meal (3x day) I can have 4oz Protein, 1/2 c veggies and 1/4 c starch. 2 sensible Snacks are allowed....

i try to stick to 1200-1400 calories a day and i give myself 2000 once in a while for fun.

i have a google doc in which lists all the cals, fats, carbs and Protein in the things i eat and i review it every week to make sure i am doing things properly.

i prioritize Protein, i do Protein shakes in the morning (whey protein with fruit yogurt worth 236 cals) and do a piece of chicken or fish for lunch or dinner which is about 300 cals, then the rest is up to me and my mood. i doesn't feel like a diet since i am not deprived. after that i am left with 600 calories to eat. with the band resricting my appetite and quantities i feel like i am eating enough. a meduim bakes potato, a small bowl of Pasta, or a yummy greek salad. life is good :)

i had plateaued at a stage for a few months, and i wasn't that focused either and i realized it was mainly due to lack of protein. whatever you do, don't skip the protein.

good luck to us all! size 14 (UK) is amazing! can't wait till size 8 :D

I had my surgery 9 weeks ago, my dr told me Protein first then if you have room veggie or fruit. I have been eating some carbs & i havent been losing like I had been. Total i lost 36lbs.

This link is very good as it explains why restriction is NOT the goal of the lapband. I'm over 18 months out of surgery and this explains better than a lot of my visits with my doctors office what I should have been told! Click the link for a very good good explaination! I bookmarked it so I can go back and read the other pages too...good luck all on our weight loss journey! Linda

WONDERFUL site. It does explain this whole thing much better than what I have heard from my Dr. OR this forum. But, this forum would not let me include Dr. Simpsons site. I hope you post it again!

I had my surgery 9 weeks ago, my dr told me Protein first then if you have room veggie or fruit. I have been eating some carbs & i havent been losing like I had been. Total i lost 36lbs.

Most important is you eat your Protein first, then and only then do you consume any carbs! What kind of carbs are you meaning? Beans,fruits and veggies are good carbs - white rice and breads are not so good for you! Everyone loses at a different rate so don't compare weight loss! Slower loss is good for you in the long run good luck and happy losing! Linda

Yes I stay away from bread, rice, potato. The only white carb i eat is popcorn, but not everyday.

Yes I stay away from bread, rice, potato. The only white carb i eat is popcorn, but not everyday.

What kind of carbs are you eating? How much Protein are you getting in a day? I supplement with Protein drinks to make sure I'm getting enough Protein. I could get enough from food but it's like an insurance policy for me. Linda

Yes I stay away from bread' date=' rice, potato. The only white carb i eat is popcorn, but not everyday.[/quote']

My surgeon told me stay away from the Protein drinks now. They are only for the first two weeks following surgery. Eat real food, or in other words, solid food. I had band placement July 25, 2012. Lost total of 18 Lbs., half of it on Atkins pre-surgery. Had one small fill of one-half cc. Going on Med. Cruise Oct. 2012. Don't talk yourself into the fallacy this is Magic. It is simply not. You will read many blogs on this site that claim the contrary. Your real hunger subsides but does not go away altogether. Ther is always the thinking your hungry, but you will need to learn the difference. Good luck.

The dr that I saw said in his seminar pretty much what your new nutritionist told you. I think it varys from dr & nutritionist from all I have been reading. On thimg also is that you are eating more than a cup of food at a time. He said about a cup of food would be about all we should eat at a time and that is what I have been reading on here and other sites as well.

I dont think I would change what you are doing since you have a lost of 2 pounds a week tho.

Oh on the nuts I can tell you that nuts will sometimes make acid reflux get worse. If you are having trouble with that maybe that is why you were told that about the nuts.

My surgeon told me to eat a lower card diet, Protein first after about 6 weeks. He said to stay away from nuts because they can get stuck easily.

My surgeon told me to eat a lower card diet, Protein first after about 6 weeks. He said to stay away from nuts because they can get stuck easily.

I went for my second fill - 3/4 cc. It was time, I know because I get hungry before 4 hrs. I found out that for myself I have to eat low carb, and good carbs.