Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do any of you eat like this?

Any diet that avoids fruit but encourages bacon just isnt healthy! Carbs are not the only thing that defines a healthy food and a healthy diet is about balance even if you like to low carb. Did you know that the association between processed meats like bacon and ham and bowel cancer is so strong that current recommendations recently declared are to not eat those foods at all?

Wheteher you eat carbs or not, fresh and unprocessed is the way to go.

Like Jachut said, after we're on solid foods, we need a balanced diet. Low carbs are fine, but no

carbs are not. As a recovering diabetic, I'm quite consious of blood sugar and the Pre and post

op diets seem to cause frequent low blood sugar levels. I have an appointment Tuesday and I'm

going to find out.

I did find out! My dr. said there is a very great possibility that people

on liquid diets, who become shaky, sweaty and dizzy are very

possibly suffering from hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and should

find a source of glucose, table sugar, or even a piece of bread.< /span>

Any thing with sugar will help releve the symptoms.

Long story short, I met with a new nutritionist at my surgical practice today and I was told that what my old nutritionist there taught me was wrong. I am to only eat Protein, veggies, and fruit. If I have dairy it has to be low fat, and I can't have nuts. I am a little mind-boggled at this point. I had previously been told to stay away from carbs as much as possible, but that nuts were a good snack and that when I have a meal I can have 4 oz. of meat, then a cup of veggies, then a 1/2 cup of carbs if I'm still hungry after that.

I'm curious if anyone out there is following this way of eating at all.

ETA: I was already doing what I considered to be an appropriately low-carb "diet" that was under 100g of carbs a day (my net carbs were usually way less than that).

I was told to only eat 4 oz at a sitting. I got full so easy i could not even get fruit or veggies in. IT has been 9 weeks since surgery and i ony eat 4 oz every two hours. i cant get everything in but i substute nuts for a meal. meat, canned meats, and cottage cheese or cheese peices, yogurt. But i have plateaued after 23 lbs lost can anyone help me with this. My Nutritionist at my doctors office was worthless. any help would be appreiciated. Anyone have to still drink with their meals? they told me it was ok. Anyone else????

I was told to only eat 4 oz at a sitting. I got full so easy i could not even get fruit or veggies in. IT has been 9 weeks since surgery and i ony eat 4 oz every two hours. i cant get everything in but i substute nuts for a meal. meat, canned meats, and cottage cheese or cheese peices, yogurt. But i have plateaued after 23 lbs lost can anyone help me with this. My Nutritionist at my doctors office was worthless. any help would be appreiciated. Anyone have to still drink with their meals? they told me it was ok. Anyone else????

Sometimes I have to sip a little Water if I'm eating dry meat...but I try to cut things up real small so I don't have to....are you using a salad plate to put your food on? It's always Protein first - whether it's nuts, cottage cheese, yogurt or meats...anything else is after that is in. I also drink at least one Protein Drink a day (Isopure non-carb usually is 40 grams of protein) as that counts for liquid and protein! How many "meals" or mini-meals are you eating? Are you getting your liquid in also? That will affect your weight loss....I probably average over 100 grams of Protein every day! I lose weight and feel better that way. Good luck... Linda

Its amazing how much different information and opinions are around concerning what we should eat and what we shouldnt, if you lose weight and are eating what could be considered a healthy diet, then why not continue. Not everyone is the same and our bodies will react in different ways to different foods, i wish i was someone who could just eat small portions of normal food but it just doesn't work for me. I have my band and it helps me but i dont eat food that i know will stop 'me' losing weight. I suppose it could be said that i am on a diet, but its 'my' diet its not a prescribed one, the information i was given i took as helpful not an absolute. I eat 1000 calories a day made up of protien and veggies and some low fat and low carb food and fizzy Water, i dont eat any bread products or cheese products at all or any processed food other than weight watchers Tomato Soup. I drink as many cups of tea or coffee as i like with skimmed milk. I do eat a small amount of fruit normally some berries in sugar free Jello, if i eat anything that i consider 'naughty' like maple Syrup its a teaspoonfull in plain low fat yoghurt/fromage frais. I also eat oat bran, which i add to yoghurt. For me this works and i stick at it and have done for the past year, to me this isnt a diet its now my normal food.

As Jachut said

'You dont need a nutritionist to do well with a lapband. We are not idiots, we are perfectly capable of researching various styles of eating/diet and working out what works well for us. There's no magic to it, eat less than you burn and you will lose weight, but for many people, low carb works, and for others its not necessary.'

Common sense rules :)

So with the nuts thing ever since i started this lap band journey i was told that nuts would be hard to eat just because they dont digest very well but if you have been doing it and been fine then i say go for it. My other issue with all of this is this all sounds sooooooooooo crazy. " Your allowed to have this this and that but not this or that" Screw a bunch of this (Sorry, anger coming out) If you have to be on that strict of a diet why the F would you get the lapband! Why not just diet! Im sorry but im not a diet person and thats exactly why i got the lapband, whenever i can start eating food again, Im still on liquids, I will not eat the way you guys are talking! It just sounds so crazy to me! I got the lapband to have Portion Control, not portion control of veggies and crap but portion control of all of the delicious bad foods i eat, and i plan to keep it that way. If i would have to eat the way everyone is talking then i would just do that and not spend money on the lapband. Just saying!

Hey, I too eat 2 cups of food and 2 snacks..... and I have 8.2 cc's. As long as you are loosing weight...don't worry about it. Things are different for all of us

Kara Renee,

I hear what you are saying and I actually agree. I didn't get the band so I would never eat another unhealthy thing ever again, and the band really doesn't work that way anyway. I still have the head monster telling me to eat that donut!

I am not a diet kind of person. If i want something, or if I am craving something, I will most likely eat it (unless there is a lot of work involved in that, like say having a NY bagel. those things are monsters and I could never chew it well enough to bother..but other than that, i will and can eat it)

I don't only have healthy things. Last night I had a mcdonald's cheeseburger and an order of fries. this is different from how it used to be because i would have had 2 or 3 of those burgers, maybe a chicken sandwich and a large fry, but now a regular fills me up. i don't have to eat more than one.

for me, it's not about giving up things i love or crave, it's about eating less of what i love and crave WITH healthy choices mixed in. will i eat mcdonald's every day? nope. i eat plenty of salads and fish and Protein. but will i kick myself if i break down and eat a whopper? absolutely not. eating regular 'non-diet' types of foods keeps me sane. that also includes eating my almonds and other nuts. B)

Dibley Dawn,

Amen !!!! What you just said is exactly how i feel !!!! Cant say anything more than you are awesome !!!! Now thats what Im talking about!!!

Here's what I do....My goal is AT LEAST 60 g Protein a day, I usually get about 80 but my dr wants me to get 60. That was the only nutrition "rule" my dr and nut have --ya gotta get the Protein in. I have taken it upon myself to limiy my carbs to less than 50 per day and eat less than 1200 cal per day. I am usually under 1000 during the week. I track everything in my fitness pal which I love. This seems to be working. I have lost 50 pounds as of yesterday. I'm happy, drs happy.

J

Banded 9/22

And, I am like Dawn (and others). I don't only eat heathly things. Its about moderation. I still have to live life. I, too, went to mcd's the other day and had a small burger. Preband it would have been AT LEAST 2 burgers, lg fry and a lg soda. Now it's only 1 small burger. And i track what I eat. If i ate a burger yesterday I wont eat one today.

Question - were you losing weight with the way you were eating before?

YES?

Then why is it so wrong.

If what you are doing works, you are happy with it and you aren't hungry why change. As they say if it isn't broken don't fix it.

As an Aussie I have totally different views to what is/isn't appropriate to eat once banded. I don't diet. I don't do low carb or any other kind of recognised diet. I just eat smaller portions of normal food and try to cut down on the junk inbetween. This is what most of us are told to do by our Drs and it seems to work.This was why I got the band as I was tired of always being on a diet, now I'm not.

I do have to admit though that the diet mentality doesn't really go away as I still catch myself reading diets in magazines and online and wondering if I should do them. But seriously why. If you can eat in a way that satisfies you, keeps you at a healthy weight and is easy to fit into your lifestyle then that is what you should be doing.

I share the same experience. I am in Egypt, and my Doctor's main recommendations were to watch out for Sweets, chips, Nuts, Alcohol and high sugar/fat drinks. Only use them as rewards once in 1-2 weeks IF you're losing weight. He said other than as you get tighter you'll eat less and you'll lose weight.

If i were able to do the low carb diet or Atkins, then I wouldn't have needed to get banded in the first place!

I have observed thin people and how they eat for a while now. I live with one, my sister. She eats everything - it's all about Portion Control. She has no cravings like I do. Whatever she wants, she eats. But all with the right quantities. And that's exactly what the Doctor told me - i've tried dieting for years, i am sick of it. I want to eat everything - the good, the bad, the horrible - but be happy with just a little bit of it.

Long story short, I met with a new nutritionist at my surgical practice today and I was told that what my old nutritionist there taught me was wrong. I am to only eat Protein, veggies, and fruit. If I have dairy it has to be low fat, and I can't have nuts. I am a little mind-boggled at this point. I had previously been told to stay away from carbs as much as possible, but that nuts were a good snack and that when I have a meal I can have 4 oz. of meat, then a cup of veggies, then a 1/2 cup of carbs if I'm still hungry after that.

I'm curious if anyone out there is following this way of eating at all.

ETA: I was already doing what I considered to be an appropriately low-carb "diet" that was under 100g of carbs a day (my net carbs were usually way less than that).

I am with your new nutritionist, but only out of necessity, i tried eating other ways but i didnt shift much weight, i do eat a few carbs, maybe under 30, but thats due to my history of type2 diabetes and following a rigid diet to control it ( Dr. Bernstein ) I dont do processed foods except for a tin of ww Tomato Soup daily but thats it, everything else is fresh Protein and lots of green veg, suagr free Jello or 0 fat greek yoghurt, i am not hungry and i lose weight so this works for me, we are all different, our bodies process foods differently so what works for some doesnt work for others, if you find a regime that works and is healthy then stick to it, if it doesnt work change something.